Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default power supply design question

Perhaps this isn't the forum for this but I thought I'd try. I have three Norelco electric shavers. Two are rechargeable types with built in chargers, and each having two 1.20 volt nicads. I've replaced the batteries in both of these portable units several times over the years and now it seems like neither one will charge it's batteries anymore.

The third one uses the same 2.4 volt motor but it runs off 120VAC. That one has a bad power supply as well. I have tried to repair these shavers but I think the problem on each one is in the hybrid circuit and/or other proprietory parts. And since these are quite old I'm pretty certain that no parts would be available.

So I have built and am currently bench testing a .050 A. constant current source using an LM317T, (please refer to the link below). I set the charge current for .050A with a 22 ohm resistor, and it works quite well with a supply of 12V +/- 50 %. And as a bonus at this setting the chip does not require a heat sink.This test setup is currently charging two .600AH AA NMIH batteries. I plan on eliminating everything but the motor in each shaver, installing two batteries, a small switch, and building a small breadboard version of this 50ma. constant current charger to use with each shaver. I have been charging my AA nicad's and NMIH's off my adjustable current bench power supplies like this for years without ever having any problems. I can remember to take them off charge after 14 hours or so.

So in theory using this arrangement, charging the shaver's batteries directly from an automobile cigarette lighter jack would work fine. And I can easily make that an option, however I would prefer to have the shaver work with the supplied coil cord as originally intended, and that is from 120VAC. One reason being (and perhaps it sounds petty) but it would be nice to be able to keep both the coil cord and shaver in their small zippered case and not have to add, (and bring) an external primary supply with me everywhere the shaver goes.

Now I'm sure that I can figure a way to drop the AC line down to a safe operating level and then (hot), rectify and filter the DC to run the IC. And perhaps Norelco was doing this in each shaver, and as far as I can tell without power line isolation, I would not feel comfortable with that arrangement.