Electronics (alt.electronics)

SS

Default Power Supply Question

Hi

I have two power supplies giving 110V AC as outputs - I want to connect the
two together in some way so that give 110V output. Can someone pls tell me
how this can be donbe safely. I am trying to create a backup system so if
one fails I can remove one supply and still not disrupt power from system
and then replace the bad one with new. it is like putting two ac sources in
parallel - is that possible

Thx

SS

Chris

Robin Graham

You can't really put two AC supplies in parallel because if they get
out of phase they'll start eating each other's power as fast as they
possibly can and will blow up

Are you sure you're right, here? After all, the National Grid is supplied by
no end of alternators all in parallel. Once an alternator has been put on
line it remains in phase automatically because it can't do anything else.
It's getting it on in the first place that's the trick (but not a big one).
Lamps across each pair of phases will go out when the phases are in phase,
so to speak, and the alternators can then be switched together.

Rob Graham

Chris

Gareth Magennis

Are you sure you are right? Run an amplifier in bridge mode and you
basically have 2 electonic generators connected in antiphase and you will
get lots of power without one side trying to catch up with the other.

I always thought that the national grid machines synced up because a
generator can also act as a motor and any out of phaseness with the grid
means the grid will drive the generator till it goes back in phase.

Gareth.

"Robin Graham" wrote in message
You can't really put two AC supplies in parallel because if they get
out of phase they'll start eating each other's power as fast as they
possibly can and will blow up

Are you sure you're right, here? After all, the National Grid is supplied

by
no end of alternators all in parallel. Once an alternator has been put on
line it remains in phase automatically because it can't do anything else.
It's getting it on in the first place that's the trick (but not a big

one).
Lamps across each pair of phases will go out when the phases are in phase,
so to speak, and the alternators can then be switched together.

Rob Graham

Chris

Gareth Magennis

Hi,
I couldn't and still can't find the original post, but we seem to agree with
each other in that they absolutely have to be in phase.
My point was also that machines connected to the grid will not behave like
the above situation and will lock automatically, so long as they don't
explode first.

Gareth.

"Chris" wrote in message