Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRT size vs anode voltage?

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike"

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.

** Have you any idea how a CRT TV even works?

Horizontal deflection and EHT are derived from the same circuit.

Some smaller sets use the PSU as a source for both the above.

Removing the EHT supply is simply not possible.

BTW:

Colour sets have mostly 20kV to 26kV on the tube.

Small B&W sets might be closer to your range.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/24/2012 6:58 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"mike"

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.

** Have you any idea how a CRT TV even works?

Yes, I do, thanks for asking.

Horizontal deflection and EHT are derived from the same circuit.

So? I didn't ask for a lesson in TV operation.
I asked for advice on how big a TV to get for 10-15KV.

Some smaller sets use the PSU as a source for both the above.

Removing the EHT supply is simply not possible.

Methinks you need to be more creative. I'm CERTAIN that I
can saw off the portion of the board containing the flyback transformer
and associated parts to build the supply I need.
I'd just like to start with a transformer/voltage multiplier designed
for the range of voltage I need.

BTW:

Colour sets have mostly 20kV to 26kV on the tube.

Small B&W sets might be closer to your range.

Yes, I know smaller sets might be closer.
Just would like to have some idea of how much smaller.
I've already got 5KV supplies. I don't need to acquire
any more free E-waste than necessary.

Thought some TV repair guy might have a rule of thumb on
the tip of his tongue.

I'm still optimistic that someone with more interest in
answering the question than denigrating the questioner
might show up.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike = ****HEAD"

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.

** Have you any idea how a CRT TV even works?

Yes, I do, thanks for asking.

** Blatant lie.

Horizontal deflection and EHT are derived from the same circuit.

So?

** Try reading the whole post before making and ASS of yourself.

****HEAD !!

I didn't ask for a lesson in TV operation.

** But you desperately NEED one - ****HEAD !!

** Me thinks, you need, to go get ****ED.

I'm CERTAIN that I
can saw off the portion of the board containing the flyback transformer
and associated parts to build the supply I need.

** You are not certain if your fat ARSE is on fire.

****HEAD !!!

BTW:

Colour sets have mostly 20kV to 26kV on the tube.

Small B&W sets might be closer to your range.

Yes, I know smaller sets might be closer.

** Read what I actually wrote - ****HEAD !!!

I'm still optimistic ...

** You are lucky to be alive.

You **** for brains, stinking ignorant pig.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/24/2012 8:01 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
snip
Take your meds!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike" wrote in message
I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

There isn't one.

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful.

Dunno about free but google cockcroft-walton voltage multiplier.

Don't forget the megohms series resistor.

old guy

I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike = TROLL "

** Eat a box of rat bait - ****head.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/24/2012 10:18 PM, John Smith wrote:
wrote in message
I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

There isn't one.

Are you saying that a 5" CRT is likely to have the same high voltage
as a 20" CRT?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful.

Dunno about free but google cockcroft-walton voltage multiplier.

Don't forget the megohms series resistor.

old guy

I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Folks asking for sources of parts sources should state where they are
located.

The TV (cheap/free) HV section would likely require considerable effort and
additional circuitry to reassemble a working circuit, which would likely
then be iffy as far as reliability and safety issues, especially when
utilizing used parts.

A new HV PSU, often contained in a compact metal enclosure, from a surplus
supplier would be a much better option IMO.

Places like Fair Radio Lima OH may have new surplus HV modules/supplies made
specifically for CRT equipment (not TVs) which may only require a common AC
input voltage, and include a HV lead.

I bought one of these types from Fair Radio years ago, to replace a CRT HV
supply in a large engine analyzer with a 10" CRT.

CRT HV supplies in TVs can be from ~1.5kV for small portables to over 30kV
for large table models.

There are likely new surplus electrostatic HV supplies available from
surplus suppliers.

There are probably numerous DIY plans online for HV supplies for all sorts
of demonstration and experimental purposes.

HV supplies are also used in oil furnaces, and various other types of
commercial/industrial equipment.

--
WB

"mike" wrote in message
I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:
I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike

That seems too high for a typical plate cleaner. 10 kv will arc at about 1
cm.
5kv seems more reasonable. It's usually easier to find positive supplies.
Is it an ion type cleaner ? I use these for low current.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...p?number=g1783

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:36:40 -0800, mike wrote:

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.

The down side of an ESP (electrostatic precipitator) is that it
generates oxides of nitrogen and ozone, which rots lungs and rubber
parts. Anything that produces a corona discharge, will also produce
ozone. Most of the complex design of the ESP plates, panels, and
wires, are to minimize ozone production. You might want to borrow or
rent an ozone meter to be sure your contrivance works. The ozone
monitors are not cheap:
http://www.ozonesolutions.com/Ambient_Ozone_Monitors.html

Mo
http://www.hamonusa.com/hamonresearchcottrell/services/maintenance/ozone
http://www.commercialaircleaner.net/blog/learn-why-a-esp-air-cleaner-and-an-ozone-generator-are-not-the-same-thing/
etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:36:40 -0800 mike wrote in
Message id: :

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

How about using an oil burner transformer? IIRC they're about 10KV or
so...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/24/2012 4:36 PM, mike wrote:
I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

Thanks, mike

You might want to look at a scope chassis from something like the Tek
2213A/2215A. The power supply and EHT circuit is very simple and could
easily be isolated, its about 14KV. You could probably saw out the power
section.
JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

JW wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:36:40 -0800 wrote in
Message :

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

How about using an oil burner transformer? IIRC they're about 10KV or
so...

23 mA is a *lot* of current for this application.
A dangerous lot of current.

--Winston
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:32:09 -0700, Winston
wrote:

JW wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 13:36:40 -0800 wrote in
Message :

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.
What's a typical relationship between CRT size and anode voltage?

Alternative sources for free HV supplies at near zero current would
also be helpful. I was surprised I found nothing on ebay.

How about using an oil burner transformer? IIRC they're about 10KV or
so...

23 mA is a *lot* of current for this application.
A dangerous lot of current.

--Winston

I dare say. That is in the power range of dental x-ray machines.

?-)

Sacrificial anode asalcedo UK diy 3 May 31st 11 09:59 AM
Low voltage lights - voltage drop/cable size [email protected] UK diy 2 October 31st 05 09:54 AM
Anode rod installation Conase Home Repair 2 January 2nd 05 04:47 AM
Lov Voltage lighting cable size rupertb UK diy 3 September 23rd 04 11:47 AM
Low Voltage lighting cable size rupertb UK diy 1 September 22nd 04 12:05 PM