Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default CRT size vs anode voltage?

On 2/24/2012 6:58 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"mike"

I need a 10-15KV supply for an electronic air filter.
Thought I'd pick up a free CRT TV and take the anode supply
out.

** Have you any idea how a CRT TV even works?

Yes, I do, thanks for asking.

Horizontal deflection and EHT are derived from the same circuit.

So? I didn't ask for a lesson in TV operation.
I asked for advice on how big a TV to get for 10-15KV.

Some smaller sets use the PSU as a source for both the above.

Removing the EHT supply is simply not possible.

Methinks you need to be more creative. I'm CERTAIN that I
can saw off the portion of the board containing the flyback transformer
and associated parts to build the supply I need.
I'd just like to start with a transformer/voltage multiplier designed
for the range of voltage I need.

BTW:

Colour sets have mostly 20kV to 26kV on the tube.

Small B&W sets might be closer to your range.

Yes, I know smaller sets might be closer.
Just would like to have some idea of how much smaller.
I've already got 5KV supplies. I don't need to acquire
any more free E-waste than necessary.

Thought some TV repair guy might have a rule of thumb on
the tip of his tongue.

I'm still optimistic that someone with more interest in
answering the question than denigrating the questioner
might show up.