Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Barco IQ Pro G500

I am in possesion of two of these. They were removed from service at a
major university, and don't seem to be too beat up or anything, but if
you're familiar with these things you know that the lenses were sold
separately. They are missing the lenses. I don't know why, maybe they
fit something else, who knows.

I googled these up and find that they were quite expensive new. Who
knows what lenses cost, I am not going to put the kind of money into
them anyway. So I think getting them running is a lost cause. However
someone out there might still be using these things and I don't think
just throwing them out is the thing to do. I pulled one of the lamps
out of one (they have two each) and also found out that they are a bit
expensive. The one I pulled looks pretty good, not cloudy or anything,
but of course there is no way to tell the hours without the thing
running.

I would like to capitalise on these things, not ridiculous but I don't
want to take twenty bucks each either. There have got to be a bunch of
valuable parts in there. If not the lamps, the ballasts. Light engine.
I don't think they have line doublers or anything because an LCD, even
if it is HD..... who knows. Each also has a COA for Windows XP for
embedded systems. Do they perhaps have a harddrive ? RAM ?

This is what I would like to know. A hell of alot of technology was
involved in building these things and aside from the fact I would like
to make a few bucks, I would like to see them kept out of the
perpetual landfill here.

So anything you got on these things would be appreciated. A print and
or service manual would be great, google seems to fail me on that.

And if anyone wants to buy them, make me a non-insulting offer and we
can deal, but really unless you're near Cleveland, OH. it's probably
not worth it to buy them whole. Shipping would be a killer. But parts
are usually cheap to ship..........

Let me know.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Urban wrote in message
[...]

You probably picked your one up the way I pick up mine. Its the ink-jet
scenario over again. The bulb starts failing/fails and someone is commanded
to find the price of a new bulb. Bloody hell ! , that much , we may as well
go out and buy a new one. So all that wonderous technology lands up in a
skip.
If your lucky, find the bogus "bulb-life" reset procedure and maybe get a
few hundred more hours out of it. Lenses a matter of cobbling something
together, at least they're not anisometric.

ps
Surely someone out there knows where to get basic compact mercury discharge
lamps for something like discharge floodlight lamp prices, designed to be
fan cooled. Its a bit of a work up fitting conventional floodlight lamps in
the available space.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 27, 3:19*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Jeff Urban wrote in message

[...]

the available space.- Hide quoted text -

You may get some life out of the lamp, but you won't get 5000 lumens.
Lamps usually stay at this rating for a few hours and steadily
decline. Lamp life is usually between 1500 and 2000hours. This means
that after that time period, the lumens generated will be less than
2500 total. While the lamp will fire, the picture won't be that
bright.

The lamp assembly for this unit runs about $500 US. This includes the
housing. The lamp alone will run around $400.

You can expect a lens for this unit to run between $3,000-$5,000
depending upon the distance for projection.

Please keep in mind that this projector is a $15000 machine that was
released in 2004.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

abrsvc wrote in message
On Jul 27, 3:19 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Jeff Urban wrote in message

[...]

++++++++

Agreed on reducing light output.
The actual contents of the bulb watt for watt is the same as a conventional
elipsoidal floodlight mercury discharge bulb , they are dirt cheap. The
difference is they are housed in a smaller volume envelope because they will
be fan cooled, unlike floodlight use. So what it comes down to is 390
dollars for a smaller envelope.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Actually I am more interested in the other parts. Lamps, who knows. I
would probably just sell all four for a hundred bucks. But there are
other parts in there. Maybe compatible LCD chips or something. The
problem is I don't need these all apart on the bench or table figuring
out who knows what. I can't seem to get a print or anything on them,
except for promotional crap. The question is, looking at all this
promotion, how could they be totally worthless in such a short time ?

There has got to be something worth something in there other than
light bulbs. Hell those I could sell as grow lights or something. But
what of the rest of it ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jeff Urban wrote in message
Actually I am more interested in the other parts. Lamps, who knows. I
would probably just sell all four for a hundred bucks. But there are
other parts in there. Maybe compatible LCD chips or something. The
problem is I don't need these all apart on the bench or table figuring
out who knows what. I can't seem to get a print or anything on them,
except for promotional crap. The question is, looking at all this
promotion, how could they be totally worthless in such a short time ?

There has got to be something worth something in there other than
light bulbs. Hell those I could sell as grow lights or something. But
what of the rest of it ?

What is the resale value of an inkjet printer ? similar wondrous technology,
much the same economics. People will not pay 400 dollars/ 300 UKP for a
light bulb.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 1, 5:28*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
Jeff Urban wrote in message

Actually I am more interested in the other parts. Lamps, who knows. I
would probably just sell all four for a hundred bucks. But there are
other parts in there. Maybe compatible LCD chips or something. The
problem is I don't need these all apart on the bench or table figuring
out who knows what. I can't seem to get a print or anything on them,
except for promotional crap. The question is, looking at all this
promotion, how could they be totally worthless in such a short time ?

There has got to be something worth something in there other than
light bulbs. Hell those I could sell as grow lights or something. But
what of the rest of it ?

What is the resale value of an inkjet printer ? similar wondrous technology,
much the same economics. People will not pay 400 dollars/ 300 UKP for a
light bulb.

You are not likely to get prints from Barco. Their service
information is kept close to the vest. I have worked on Barco
projectors from the smaller versions (like yours) to the big boys (R20
for example at $250,000 each). No specific service information is
available outside of Barco itself. Limited info is given over the
phone for specific problem resolution only.

As far as value goes, the machines you have are good quality. You can
try making them available as parts machines on Ebay for a reasonable
cost. If I had some units locally and wanted some replacements parts,
I'd pay up to $1000 for the pair easily. Repalcement parts by far
exceed that cost. If you can state that these are "working" units but
without lenses and lamps, you should have no problem selling them.

Dan