Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default .02 mm pitch flex print PCB repair

I have a Plasma tv that somehow I managed to partially tear one of the flexi
prints. I am not too sure how it happened since I was working on the PSU.

That aside, I think the PSU is fixed, but now the .02 mm pitch flexi print
is torn..

After doing lots of thinking and researching I think the way to go is using
a .02mm pitch zebra strip and connect wires from it to the connector.

Now the question is does such a zebra strip exsist?

Does anyone know where I can find such a zebra strip? Any know products I
could salvage one from??

I hope to connect wires to the zebra strip and then connect those wires to
the more reasonable sized .5mm pitch connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default .2 mm pitch flex print PCB repair

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a Plasma tv that somehow I managed to partially tear one of the
flexi prints. I am not too sure how it happened since I was working on the
PSU.

That aside, I think the PSU is fixed, but now the .02 mm pitch flexi print
is torn..

After doing lots of thinking and researching I think the way to go is
using a .02mm pitch zebra strip and connect wires from it to the
connector.

Now the question is does such a zebra strip exsist?

Does anyone know where I can find such a zebra strip? Any know products I
could salvage one from??

I hope to connect wires to the zebra strip and then connect those wires to
the more reasonable sized .5mm pitch connector.

Correction 0.2 mm pitch..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote in message
I have a Plasma tv that somehow I managed to partially tear one of the

flexi
prints. I am not too sure how it happened since I was working on the PSU.

That aside, I think the PSU is fixed, but now the .02 mm pitch flexi print
is torn..

After doing lots of thinking and researching I think the way to go is

using
a .02mm pitch zebra strip and connect wires from it to the connector.

Now the question is does such a zebra strip exsist?

Does anyone know where I can find such a zebra strip? Any know products I
could salvage one from??

I hope to connect wires to the zebra strip and then connect those wires to
the more reasonable sized .5mm pitch connector.

What are the end points of the ribbon ? eg 2 connectors or connector and
glass ? and does it flex in use? is it microstrip/stripline in structure
with a grounded backplane?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Fortunately there is no backplane, so I think we can get away with modified
circuit. I will try to get a picture up on the internet soon.

The cable is directly connected to the glass on one end and has a standard
..5 mm pitch *I think nothing to measure with at the moment* connector.

In the middle just after the tear there is a blob IC attached to the cable.
The cable is then attached to an alunimum plate for security. I was thinking
of taking advantage of this alunimum plate by using it as a surface to mount
a zebra connector..

The cable is curled in a c like shape so I think briding the original
connection is the more dfficult route. I think with a zebra connector and a
pcb soldering the wires from the end connector to the pcb and the applying
pressure to the zebra strip is a very viable solution. There is the perfect
place to mount it on top of that aluminum plate.

Anyhow without pictures this is kind of hard to imagine. I will upload a few
pics..

Thanks for the reply!

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

I wonder if there are any LCD displays using such small pitch connections
which I could salavage a pcb and zebra strip from..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Anyone successfully salvaged that expensive 3M anistotrpic conductive tape?
hot air , is that effective to dislodge the bond but not melt the
tape/destroy the anisotropy?
I just measured a standard size zebra and that had .2mm spacing, I could not
find my tin of watch bits, what is the spacing on those zebras?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for looking. This project is on indefinate hold ATM. I live just
outside Tokyo and you have probably heard the news about the earthquakes
tsunamis and now the nucelar power plant meltdown.

I packed up and ran Monday night. I have moved to the other side of Japan
leaving everythign I own except my car there.

My plans were to to wait till the weekend and see if they get this situation
under control.

I expected that I would be going back to Tokyo this weekend, but I am
starting to think that I will be buying a plane ticket back home to Florida.

As far as I can see the situation went from out of control but possibly
managable to now I would say inevitable major nuclear disaster with a very
good chance of exposure where at my apartment just outside Tokyo.

Thanks for looking into this.. Right now my concerns are on my friends in
Tokyo who dont see the danger and arent leaving. They beleive what the
government is saying that there is no danger. Many people couldnt believe I
was leaving Tokyo for safety and wont listen to my reasoning to leave.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Michael Kennedy wrote in message
I have a Plasma tv that somehow I managed to partially tear one of

the

I expected that I would be going back to Tokyo this weekend, but I am
starting to think that I will be buying a plane ticket back home to

Florida.

As far as I can see the situation went from out of control but possibly
managable to now I would say inevitable major nuclear disaster with a very
good chance of exposure where at my apartment just outside Tokyo.

Thanks for looking into this.. Right now my concerns are on my friends in
Tokyo who dont see the danger and arent leaving. They beleive what the
government is saying that there is no danger. Many people couldnt believe

was leaving Tokyo for safety and wont listen to my reasoning to leave.

Has it been reported in Japan whether the tsunami colder denser sea water
displaced the water in the storage ponds ?
Then what reaction occured with the sea water to end up combusting, and then
they started using sea water on the other reactors. Or did the pond/s crack
from the eaqrthquake and loose water?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Over here all they say everything is under control... The second time it
blew up I was sure it wasnt under control. Once means it might be a
mistake.. 2 times means nobody knows what they are doing or its just out of
control.

They havent really been sharing the details but from what I can gather if
they had got the frigging generator working none of this would have
happened. Or flown another one in... Anyhow when I get some time I might
make an OT topic on this.

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

They hope the ponds are not cracked.. but they arent sure. But they have no
electricty to run the circulation pumps at the reactor or the storage
ponds.. So it heats up and evaparates away.

The explosions were caused by hydrogen gas which is apparently produced
when the coating on the fuel rods interact with oxygen. They got exposed to
air therefore there was not enough water in the reactors.

Even shut down these things produce a lot of heat.

At the moment I am in a hotel room halfway across japan from where I was. Im
going to rent a monthly parking space for my car tomorrow, and monday Im
headed to the US to see how this turns out.. I hate to run away and leave
all my friends here, but my family back home are freaking out and if I dont
go I could end up stuck in a tight situation also..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Michael Kennedy" mike@com wrote:

Anyhow when I get some time I might
make an OT topic on this.

Several OT threads going on over in a.h.r. if you're interested. I'd be
on that plane if I were you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Whenever I've seen film of UK cooling ponds the water seems motionless so
just relying on convection and heat radiating over a distributed water
surface. Perhaps the Japanese ones have the fuel elements crowded more in a
given volume of water and so requiring mechanically forced water flow over
them