Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 3M 9705 Tape and Flex Cable Repair

Has anyone used this product to bond a flex cable to PCB? I need to
bond a flex cable on an LCD TV that has come loose. The pitch may be
too fine for this product, but the other 3M products require precise
heat and pressure (3M 5460R). It looks like it's worth a try since the
TV is useless otherwise. Also, is there anywhere to get it in small
quantities?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ghiotom wrote in message
Has anyone used this product to bond a flex cable to PCB? I need to
bond a flex cable on an LCD TV that has come loose. The pitch may be
too fine for this product, but the other 3M products require precise
heat and pressure (3M 5460R). It looks like it's worth a try since the
TV is useless otherwise. Also, is there anywhere to get it in small
quantities?

What is so special about it
eg
3M 9705 Electrically Conductive Adhesive Transfer Tape, 12 in x 36 yd
Price: $1054.32 Per Roll

I downloaded 3M pdf and skimmed through and its not "zebra strip" , what is
the difference to glue backed aluminium foil ?
I've never peered inside a non-CRT TV I might add.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote in message
ghiotom wrote in message
Has anyone used this product to bond a flex cable to PCB? I need to
bond a flex cable on an LCD TV that has come loose. The pitch may be
too fine for this product, but the other 3M products require precise
heat and pressure (3M 5460R). It looks like it's worth a try since the
TV is useless otherwise. Also, is there anywhere to get it in small
quantities?

What is so special about it
eg
3M 9705 Electrically Conductive Adhesive Transfer Tape, 12 in x 36 yd
Price: $1054.32 Per Roll

I downloaded 3M pdf and skimmed through and its not "zebra strip" , what

is
the difference to glue backed aluminium foil ?
I've never peered inside a non-CRT TV I might add.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Returning to that pdf
I was reading about the shielding properties, not the anisotropy, so it is a
sort of zebra strip.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

ghiotom wrote in message
Has anyone used this product to bond a flex cable to PCB? I need to
bond a flex cable on an LCD TV that has come loose. The pitch may be
too fine for this product, but the other 3M products require precise
heat and pressure (3M 5460R). It looks like it's worth a try since the
TV is useless otherwise. Also, is there anywhere to get it in small
quantities?

If what is there is ok , just unstuck , can you not use a variant of this
bodge that I use. Or is dirt on the tape a problem, presumably no great
currents involved.

Bodge repair for failed conductive epoxy joints
or where LCD zebra strips have lost contact because
pcb has warped slightly or whatever.
Push the section back with folded up
strip of kitchen pan scourer, held in place against the
casing / bracing and cable ties to pcb or something. The coarse open random
mesh of plastic fibres is insulating and
quite consistently compression springy.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If what is there is ok , just unstuck , can you not use a variant of this
bodge that I use. Or is dirt on the tape a problem, presumably no great
currents involved.

Bodge repair for failed conductive epoxy joints
or where LCD zebra strips have lost contact because
pcb has warped slightly or whatever.
Push the section back with folded up
strip of kitchen pan scourer, held in place against the
casing / bracing and cable ties to pcb or something. The coarse open random
mesh of plastic fibres is insulating and
quite consistently compression springy.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm not sure what you mean. There
are 96 traces on a cable that is 28mm wide, a very fine pitch. I think
it is going to require a specialized product.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

If what is there is ok , just unstuck , can you not use a variant of

this
bodge that I use. Or is dirt on the tape a problem, presumably no great
currents involved.

Bodge repair for failed conductive epoxy joints
or where LCD zebra strips have lost contact because
pcb has warped slightly or whatever.
Push the section back with folded up
strip of kitchen pan scourer, held in place against the
casing / bracing and cable ties to pcb or something. The coarse open

random
mesh of plastic fibres is insulating and
quite consistently compression springy.

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm not sure what you mean. There
are 96 traces on a cable that is 28mm wide, a very fine pitch. I think
it is going to require a specialized product.

Me neither, I don't know what holds these LCD TV interconnects together ,
they sound like a horrendous bodge to me, as manufactured. Perhaps when
mass-produced OLED comes in I could see the point of moving away from CRT.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/1/2009 11:26 AM N_Cook spake thus:

wrote in message

Thank you for your suggestion, but I'm not sure what you mean.
There are 96 traces on a cable that is 28mm wide, a very fine
pitch. I think it is going to require a specialized product.

Me neither, I don't know what holds these LCD TV interconnects
together , they sound like a horrendous bodge to me, as manufactured.
Perhaps when mass-produced OLED comes in I could see the point of
moving away from CRT.

Worse than your own horrendous bodges?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Cable or flex? Autolycus[_2_] UK diy 8 February 6th 08 07:38 AM
source of flex cable Michael Kennedy Electronics Repair 20 November 12th 07 06:59 PM
Cooker flex/cable again! Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 December 10th 06 10:54 AM
Attaching flex cable to PCB Franc Zabkar Electronics Repair 22 November 21st 04 06:54 AM
PS2 Repair? Inserting ribon/flex cable... Snoopy_ Electronics Repair 4 December 9th 03 07:41 PM