Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repair 1mm pitch nylon cog?

No broken teeth as such , just frayed/feathered tooth tips , in a very low
torque drive, reduction drive. And the feathering/bunching eventually causes
the gear train to stall.
It is attached, co-axial, to a fine pitch worm drive, with no salvaged
eqivalent around. I think I can turn the worm plus cog assembly around on
the axle and glue a salvaged 1mm pitch cog to the other end.

But just wondered if anyone has tried heating a revolving 1mm pitch brass
cog and remelting a nylon cog or any other technique ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

"N Cook" wrote in :

No broken teeth as such , just frayed/feathered tooth tips , in a very
low torque drive, reduction drive. And the feathering/bunching
eventually causes the gear train to stall.
It is attached, co-axial, to a fine pitch worm drive, with no salvaged
eqivalent around. I think I can turn the worm plus cog assembly around
on the axle and glue a salvaged 1mm pitch cog to the other end.

But just wondered if anyone has tried heating a revolving 1mm pitch
brass cog and remelting a nylon cog or any other technique ?

There is a plastic that melts at 62 C (130F). It becomes clear and you can
mold it by hand.
It sticks to other plastics.

When it cools down and sets, it looks and feels like nylon.

It is called 'Friendly Plastic' or 'Shape Lock'.

I used it to fix a split nylon gear in a printer.

--
bz 73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

N Cook wrote:

snip

But just wondered if anyone has tried heating a revolving 1mm pitch brass
cog and remelting a nylon cog or any other technique ?

Not exactly a solution to the problem you described, but here is my page
on (re)melting a nylon gear as part of a repair to a lift-chair screw drive:

http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/gear

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3ÔÂ27ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç8ʱ54·Ö, "N Cook" wrote:
No broken teeth as such , just frayed/feathered tooth tips , in a very low
torque drive, reduction drive. And the feathering/bunching eventually causes
the gear train to stall.
It is attached, co-axial, to a fine pitch worm drive, with no salvaged
eqivalent around. I think I can turn the worm plus cog assembly around on
the axle and glue a salvaged 1mm pitch cog to the other end.

But just wondered if anyone has tried heating a revolving 1mm pitch brass
cog and remelting a nylon cog or any other technique ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list onhttp://home..graffiti.net/diverse:graffiti.net/

Do you want access to China's massive pool of electronic
manufacturers... but lack the time to contact suppliers, negotiate
contracts, arrange shipping or monitor product quality? Don't worry -
Let seriouswholesale deal with all that for you.

*Check out the huge range of Gadgets, MP3 / MP4 Players, Car DVD /
Audio, and Computer Accessories now by visiting the online wholesale
catalog at seriouswholesale. com You'll have peace of mind thanks to
the seriouswholesale Quality Control, 12-month Warranty on all
products, and easy secure payment by credit card through Paypal.

Selling on eBay or your own online store? Send products direct from
our warehouse to your customers using our unique drop-shipping
service. You can profit by selling hundreds of different products,
without holding any of your own inventory! Any questions you have will
be answered by the seriouswholesale English-speaking customer support
team... Their aim is to make your China electronics importing business
easier to run than ever before.

Welcome to http://www.seriouswholesale.com.

seriouswholesale - Buy from the source, profit without the hassle.

- 12 Months Warranty - No minimum order restrictions - Drop-shipping
with no additional fee - Pay by safely by PayPal seriouswholesale
Wholesale Co., Ltd.: Chinas original and best online electronics
wholesaler & drop-shipper: seriouswholesale. com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

msg wrote in message
N Cook wrote:

snip

But just wondered if anyone has tried heating a revolving 1mm pitch

brass
cog and remelting a nylon cog or any other technique ?

Not exactly a solution to the problem you described, but here is my page
on (re)melting a nylon gear as part of a repair to a lift-chair screw

drive:

http://www.cybertheque.org/homebrew/gear

Michael

For a stairlift I think I would have drilled and tapped the steel gear and
bolted the plastic one to it

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England