Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TEAC 1/2" Open-Reel Schematic Needed

I have a Teac Model 80-8 1/2" open reel machine I have to repair for a
customer. This is the first 1/2", 8-track machine I've worked on and it's
clear I'm going to need a schematic. The main problem is that some channels
are sounding through to others; for example, with a signal connected to
channel 1 only, it sounds over to channel 2 and faintly to channel 3. This
happens even when monitoring the input without a tape loaded, ruling out a
head alignment issue.
Any advice, or especially a schematic, would be appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Chris F."

I have a Teac Model 80-8 1/2" open reel machine I have to repair for a
customer. This is the first 1/2", 8-track machine I've worked on and it's
clear I'm going to need a schematic. The main problem is that some
channels are sounding through to others; for example, with a signal
connected to channel 1 only, it sounds over to channel 2 and faintly to
channel 3. This happens even when monitoring the input without a tape
loaded, ruling out a head alignment issue.
Any advice, or especially a schematic, would be appreciated.

** Have you tried shorting the unused inputs while testing ??

This is how the recorder would be used in practice.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:48:16 -0800, "Chris F."
wrote:

I have a Teac Model 80-8 1/2" open reel machine I have to repair for a
customer. This is the first 1/2", 8-track machine I've worked on and it's
clear I'm going to need a schematic. The main problem is that some channels
are sounding through to others; for example, with a signal connected to
channel 1 only, it sounds over to channel 2 and faintly to channel 3. This
happens even when monitoring the input without a tape loaded, ruling out a
head alignment issue.
Any advice, or especially a schematic, would be appreciated.

You should be able to get the service manual from:

TEAC America inc
7733 Telegraph Road
Montebello, CA 90640

Parts Department:
voice: (323) 727-4840
fax: (323) 727-7632
e-mail:

I do know that they had copies of the manuals for many of their
old to ancient(early 70's) tape machines.
I worked there for a year and a half and they were still repairing
1/4, 1/2, 1 , and larger machines at that time (3 1/2 years ago)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris F. wrote:
I have a Teac Model 80-8 1/2" open reel machine I have to
repair for
a customer. This is the first 1/2", 8-track machine I've worked
on
and it's clear I'm going to need a schematic. The main problem
is
that some channels are sounding through to others; for example,
with
a signal connected to channel 1 only, it sounds over to channel
2 and
faintly to channel 3. This happens even when monitoring the
input
without a tape loaded, ruling out a head alignment issue.
Any advice, or especially a schematic, would be appreciated.

http://www.analogrules.com/manuals/tascam.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Chris F."

I have a Teac Model 80-8 1/2" open reel machine I have to
repair
for a customer. This is the first 1/2", 8-track machine I've
worked
on and it's clear I'm going to need a schematic. The main
problem is
that some channels are sounding through to others; for
example, with
a signal connected to channel 1 only, it sounds over to
channel 2
and faintly to channel 3. This happens even when monitoring
the
input without a tape loaded, ruling out a head alignment
issue.
Any advice, or especially a schematic, would be appreciated.

** Have you tried shorting the unused inputs while testing ??

This is how the recorder would be used in practice.

If that doesn't eliminate the crosstalk, I'd suspect a common
power supply filter in the low-level stages. Perhaps a dried-up
cap.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Pimpom wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:
"Chris F."

[...]

There's a Teac-specific web site at https://www.daeinconline.com/index.html.
Send them an email and see if they can help with your problem. They might
even have a manual on the bottom shelf..
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net