Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default *OT* Dragnet Episode

Deals with repair service scams.

As 'bait, the used a Kaye-Halbert 16'' TV and shorted out 5u4g tube.
Estimated house visit and replacement of a 5u4g tube: $4.50.

http://www.archive.org/download/drag...Big_Screen.mp3
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

As bait, they used a Kaye-Halbert 16'' TV and shorted 5U4G.
Estimated house visit and tube replacement: $4.50.

The viewing quality... priceless.

I'm old enough to remember when a GP charged /five dollars/ for a house
call. Five dollars was a lot of money then (ca 1955).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm listening, and unfortunately (???), Stan Freberg permanently ruined
"Dragnet".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just wondering whether that new brand of rosin-core solder ever took off...

Was there really a Kaye-Halbert TV? I assume that's one of the names changed
to protect the innocent.

I wonder if all those green dots the guy applied improved the picture and/or
sound quality...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:34:32 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Just wondering whether that new brand of rosin-core solder ever took off...

Was there really a Kaye-Halbert TV? I assume that's one of the names changed
to protect the innocent.

I wonder if all those green dots the guy applied improved the picture and/or
sound quality...

Yes, there was. Don't you ever do any research?

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-KAYE-HALBERT.htm

PlainBill

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 08:21:02 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

As bait, they used a Kaye-Halbert 16'' TV and shorted 5U4G.
Estimated house visit and tube replacement: $4.50.

The viewing quality... priceless.

I'm old enough to remember when a GP charged /five dollars/ for a house
call. Five dollars was a lot of money then (ca 1955).

I'd place the show as somewhat earlier - probably 1952 or 53. $100
would be a good month's pay at that time.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes, there was. Don't you ever do any research?
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-KAYE-HALBERT.htm

I do. I did a browser search, and nothing at all showed up.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The best I can do for a field service call, to replace a single
component, is about $125 today. However, much of this
added overhead isn't from inflation. It's from increased tax
burden, increased overhead, insurance requirements,
anticipated warranty funding, inventory depreciation charges,
and supporting my decadent and lavish lifestyle.

As Stan Freberg would say... a second dress for your wife.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 12:35:28 -0800 "William Sommerwerck"
wrote in Message id:
:

Yes, there was. Don't you ever do any research?
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-KAYE-HALBERT.htm

I do. I did a browser search, and nothing at all showed up.

Perhaps you should try Google instead of searching your browser?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Who are you, anyway? You don't have the guts to use your own name.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

And a video from someone that owns one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkrkSgtOvw

What other obscure brands of television am I ignorant of (he asked, with
more than a touch of sarcasm)?

I should have realized the name was legit, when one of the characters
started bragging about his Leica IIIf, the penultimate of the Leica
screw-thread cameras.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 02:46:39 -0800 "William Sommerwerck"
wrote in Message id:
:

Who are you, anyway? You don't have the guts to use your own name.

I'm assuming you're talking to me, but you didn't quote me. They're my
real initials. But since when was using one's name a requirement for
posting to Usenet?

In any case, lighten up - I was only teasing you a bit.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I should have realized the name was legit, when one of the characters
started bragging about his Leica IIIf, the penultimate of the Leica
screw-thread cameras.

The ultimate being a Canon 7s with f0.95 lens?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I should have realized the name was legit, when one
of the characters started bragging about his Leica IIIf,
the penultimate of the Leica screw-thread cameras.

The ultimate being a Canon 7S with f0.95 lens?

No, the Leica IIIg. Not that I wouldn't mind having one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Who are you, anyway? You don't have the guts to use your own name.

I'm assuming you're talking to me, but you didn't quote me. They're my
real initials. But since when was using one's name a requirement for
posting to Usenet?

In any case, lighten up - I was only teasing you a bit.

I don't at all mind being teased, but your remarks seemed rather blunt. I
have been -- and sometimes still am -- guilty of such things, myself.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 06:51:33 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I should have realized the name was legit, when one
of the characters started bragging about his Leica IIIf,
the penultimate of the Leica screw-thread cameras.

The ultimate being a Canon 7S with f0.95 lens?

No, the Leica IIIg. Not that I wouldn't mind having one.

I had a Leica IIIc, with almost all the accessories, lenses, and
enlarger many years ago. Nobody builds cameras like that any more. I
did some side by side comparisons with a common SLR of the time (Asahi
Pentax Spotmatic). The picture quality difference was really obvious.
I replaced the focal plane shutter, mirrors, and rebuilt the
self-timer several times. Unfortunately, I sold everything in the
late 1980's for peanuts. Sniff...

http://www.westlicht-auction.com/index.php?lang=3
$500,000 for a Leica MP2. $200,000 ea for some others.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 8 Dec 2010 06:00:45 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

And a video from someone that owns one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkrkSgtOvw

What other obscure brands of television am I ignorant of (he asked, with
more than a touch of sarcasm)?

I don't know. Why don't you list the ones you DO remember, then go
here http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-ALL-USA.htm to fill in the
blanks? FYI: They list 104 TV manufacturers for the years 1950-1959,
running from A (Admiral) to Z (Zenith).

I should have realized the name was legit, when one of the characters
started bragging about his Leica IIIf, the penultimate of the Leica
screw-thread cameras.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know. Why don't you list the ones you DO remember, then go
here http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-ALL-USA.htm to fill in the
blanks? FYI: They list 104 TV manufacturers for the years 1950-1959,
running from A (Admiral) to Z (Zenith).

Thanks for the ref. At least 20% of the names were unfamiliar.

The most-interesting was "Natalie Kalmus", the woman whose name appears as
"Technicolor consultant" on pre-1950 films. She was the once-wife of Herbert
Kalmus, the principal developer of Technicolor.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/8/2010 6:51 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

I should have realized the name was legit, when one
of the characters started bragging about his Leica IIIf,
the penultimate of the Leica screw-thread cameras.

The ultimate being a Canon 7S with f0.95 lens?

No, the Leica IIIg. Not that I wouldn't mind having one.

Since we've drifted off-topic anyhow, I'd certainly settle for a Leotax
(Showa Opt. Co.), or a Nicca, or a Robot Royal: now *there's* a camera.
Or a Canon, for that matter ...

What is that f/0.95; a Nocton?

D "settles for a Zorki-1" N

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What is that f/0.95; a Nocton?

The 0.95 was a Canon lens. The Nocton/Nokton was a Voigtlander lens. It
appears a 25mm version has been developed for the Four-Thirds System:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-f-0-95-a.html

I'll tell you what I'd like to see... A full-frame OM DSLR, the same size as
an OM-4, that takes all the Zuiko OM lenses. Now, that would be something
very, very special.

I had a beautiful OM system that, unfortunately, had to be sold because I
would otherwise have lost my home. But the OM camera was truly what it was
designed to be -- an "SLR Leica" -- if only in size and elegance. Olympus's
Four-Thirds SLRs, even the smallest, are pathetically clunky next to an OM.
As are the lenses. Even the "fast" OM lenses are unbelievably tiny.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/7/2010 10:10 AM, Duh_OZ wrote:
Deals with repair service scams.

As 'bait, the used a Kaye-Halbert 16'' TV and shorted out 5u4g tube.
Estimated house visit and replacement of a 5u4g tube: $4.50.

http://www.archive.org/download/drag...Big_Screen.mp3

*laughs* And when he got out of prison, he opened Mark C. Bloom Tires.

Jeff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
I don't know. Why don't you list the ones you DO remember, then go
here http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-ALL-USA.htm to fill in the
blanks? FYI: They list 104 TV manufacturers for the years 1950-1959,
running from A (Admiral) to Z (Zenith).

Thanks for the ref. At least 20% of the names were unfamiliar.

The most-interesting was "Natalie Kalmus", the woman whose name appears as
"Technicolor consultant" on pre-1950 films. She was the once-wife of Herbert
Kalmus, the principal developer of Technicolor.

My first job out of grad school in 1958 was with an R&D company,
Comstock and Wescott, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Before WWII ("The big
one") the company's name was Kalmus, Comstock and Wescott, and I came to
know them as the developers of the Technicolor color movie process
through that association.

When I joined them one of the products they had already developed and
were trying to make a market for was a combination household
refrigerator and domestic water heater. The heater tank was on top of an
upright refrigerator and served as the condenser for the refrigeration
system, recovering the heat removed from the refrigerator. They had
named it "Stator".

AFAIK that product never made it to market, possibly because it was too
tall for the reduced ceiling heights prevalent after the war.

While I was working there they were also developing household heating
systems based on using off peak electrical energy to melt some kind of
salt with a high latent heat of fusion stored in multiple narrow
containers inside a "furnace plenum." The stored heat warmed air blown
over those containers and was used to provide forced air heating.

That one didn't take off back then either, but in the past year I've
seen reference to something under development (again) which sounded similar.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jeff_wisnia wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

Have you ever seen a common water fountain hat was modified to
produce hot water? A second coil is added, near the condenser to adsorb
heat to provide hot water for a bathroom sink.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" writes:

I'm listening, and unfortunately (???), Stan Freberg permanently ruined
"Dragnet".

Not Dan Aykroyd...?

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I'm listening, and unfortunately (???), Stan Freberg
permanently ruined "Dragnet".

Not Dan Aykroyd...?

Freberg did it 30 years before Aykroyd...