Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 100v-- 10V Trans. on 120V

I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers.
Here I have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn
transformer.
Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is going to output 12V on
120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see what the
voltage is.

TIA

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Dec 3, 10:17*am, "Michael Kennedy" wrote:
I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers.
Here I have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn
transformer.
Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is going to output 12V on
120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see what the
voltage is.

TIA

Mike

Yes, BUT.
Iron transformers are designed with only sufficient turns on the
primary to prevent the core beginning to saturate at the highest
expected voltate [~+10% or so] so if you try and run a transformer
designed for 100V nominal on 120V nominal the core will likely be
running into the saturation curve. This can give three effects: the
primary current draw will be excessive causing the wire to overheat,
the core running into saturation will overheat and finally, the output
waveform may be clipped causing a reduced output voltage compared to
what would be expected from the turns ratio. However, that transformer
may be specified for the Japanese 50Hz power in which case there will
be some extra margin so it could operate okay on 120V 60Hz [100V *
60/50Hz]
In other words, it is okay to run a transformer on lower primary
voltage than specified but not higher and it is okay to run a
transformer on a higher frequency than specified but not lower
[assuming typical power line frequencies 25-60Hz].

Neil S.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 03:17:59 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:

I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers. Here I have
a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn transformer.
Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is going to output 12V
on 120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see what
the voltage is.

TIA

Mike

If the supply is rectified and well regulated it will output 10vdc or
there abouts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"nesesu"

Iron transformers are designed with only sufficient turns on the
primary to prevent the core beginning to saturate at the highest
expected voltate [~+10% or so]

** Only true for toroidal an C-core types - it is common practice to
allow the core of an E-core type to operate into some or even a lot of
saturation. The practice is almost universal with small PSUs containing
E-cores.

so if you try and run a transformer
designed for 100V nominal on 120V nominal the core will likely be
running into the saturation curve.

** See above.

This can give three effects: the
primary current draw will be excessive causing the wire to overheat,
the core running into saturation will overheat

** The operative word is "can" - chances are that the unit will tolerate
the increase.

and finally, the output
waveform may be clipped causing a reduced output voltage compared to
what would be expected from the turns ratio.

** Fraid you have gone right off the rails here.

Core saturation does NOT cause waveform clipping - for the simple reason
that the current draw increases only around the times of zero voltage on the
AC wave.

However, that transformer
may be specified for the Japanese 50Hz power in which case there will
be some extra margin so it could operate okay on 120V 60Hz [100V *
60/50Hz]

** Correct - almost all Japanese ( local market ) power transformers are
built for 100 volt AC @ 50 Hz operation.

About half the country has 50Hz power.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/3/2010 1:08 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 03:17:59 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:

I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers. Here I have
a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn transformer.
Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is going to output 12V
on 120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see what

If the supply is rectified and well regulated it will output 10vdc or
there abouts.

How do you get DC out of a transformer? Must be a really special one ...

Of course, it's impossible to tell from the O.P. whether the thing in
question is really a transformer (outputs AC) or a power supply (outputs
DC).

To the OP, it would help us to know. What does it say on the wall wart?
Should say something like "10 VAC" or "10 VDC" or some such.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:20:17 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/3/2010 1:08 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 03:17:59 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:

I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers. Here I
have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn
transformer. Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is
going to output 12V on 120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see what

If the supply is rectified and well regulated it will output 10vdc or
there abouts.

How[SLAP]

**** off you ****wit. Note the "If" word, Revenge Dweeb.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/3/2010 8:35 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

**** off yourself, Meat Head.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 20:41:26 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/3/2010 8:35 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 16:20:17 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/3/2010 1:08 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 03:17:59 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:

I was wonderin if someone could educate me on Transformers. Here I
have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn
transformer. Am Im I correct in guessing that this transformer is
going to output 12V on 120V power instead of 10V it would on 100V?

Not being in the USA at the moment I can't just check it and see
what

If the supply is rectified and well regulated it will output 10vdc or
there abouts.

How[SLAP]

**** off you ****wit. Note the "If" word, Revenge Dweeb.

**** off yourself, Meat Head.

Love it when I back up trolls like you into a corner.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/3/2010 9:03 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

[...]

What you perceive as some kind of "victory" is just your twisted
masturbatory fantasies, Meat Head ...

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Having a DC output from a transformer is obviously more common that you
think.

The old style automotive ignition coil (autotransformer) outputs HV DC.

That's one example, and it is a transformer although not the kind used for a
game system power source, and the output isn't rectified.

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

How do you get DC out of a transformer? Must be a really special one ...

Of course, it's impossible to tell from the O.P. whether the thing in
question is really a transformer (outputs AC) or a power supply (outputs
DC).

To the OP, it would help us to know. What does it say on the wall wart?
Should say something like "10 VAC" or "10 VDC" or some such.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/3/2010 10:30 PM Wild_Bill spake thus:

Having a DC output from a transformer is obviously more common that you
think.

The old style automotive ignition coil (autotransformer) outputs HV DC.

That's one example, and it is a transformer although not the kind used for a
game system power source, and the output isn't rectified.

OK, you win.

On a technicality.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Lot's of "wall-warts" have a rectifier diode and capacitor in the same
little box. More and more they actually have little switching regulators in
there. Those are more efficient and can supply much more current, but they
usually don't last much more than about 15 months because they use such
crappy little capacitors in them, and they are virtually unserviceable.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 5:04 AM Mark Zacharias spake thus:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, we know that. My point is that a lot of wall warts are just what
the O.P. called them--transformers--and that we really have no idea what
his is, based on what he posted.

More informations, please.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

DC 10V, although I doubt there is much inside of this thing when it comes to
electronics aside from a couple of diodes or a full wave bridge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Quote: Michael Kennedy
Here I have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn

transformer.

/quote

Sorry I somehow forgot to write core a between iorn and transformer.
It is a 10vdc Iorn core transformer wall wart 50/60Hz 850mA. Not a switcher.
Most likely it has 4 diodes a fuse and possibly a small cap insde of it
along side the transformer. The regulation is inside of the nintendo itself.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 12:04 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

[...]

You don't understand.

No biggie; apparently you're a newbie. That's OK.

A transformer (and *all* transformers that operate on line
frequency--50/60 Hz--are iron-core, so no need to specify that) converts
AC to AC.

If the wall wart contains diodes, then it's not just a transformer; it's
a DC power supply. (A transformer is part of it.)

So apparently what you have is a DC power supply, judging from the "10
vdc" above.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 21:07:54 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

What you perceive

What I perceive is an idiot troll (you) backed into a corner.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 07:04:38 -0600, Mark Zacharias wrote:

Lot's of "wall-warts" have a rectifier diode and capacitor in the same
little box. More and more they actually have little switching regulators
in there. Those are more efficient and can supply much more current, but
they usually don't last much more than about 15 months because they use
such crappy little capacitors in them, and they are virtually
unserviceable.

Mark Z.

I've heard plenty of people refer to a wall wart as a transformer. The OP
gave no other specs than 10 volts. My reply was "if" it was rectified and
regulated the output should be around 10 volts with 120 in.

In Dave Nebenzahl's attempt to insult/discredit my reply his haste
caused a fail to notice or credit my word "if". It's a hurried cheap shot
and I would expect nothing less from someone whose experience, knowledge
and talents fall woefully short of mine.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 14:17:10 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Quote: Michael Kennedy
Here I have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn

transformer.

/quote

Sorry I somehow forgot to write core a between iorn and transformer.
It is a 10vdc Iorn core transformer wall wart 50/60Hz 850mA. Not a
switcher. Most likely it has 4 diodes a fuse and possibly a small cap
insde of it along side the transformer. The regulation is inside of the
nintendo itself.

You don't understand.

No biggie; apparently you're a newbie. That's OK.

Micheal a newbie? And condescendingly so. Alt.home.repair is a better
group for you to troll and is that away ---------------

SER is filled with those of intellect in-imaginably far superior to
yours.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 3:02 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

[...]

What I perceive is an unpleasant, belligerent and ill-mannered cur who
has a curious obsession with me ... get over it.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:07:47 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

What I perceive

Is you being bitch-slapped.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 5:17 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 12/4/2010 12:04 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
.

Snip
No biggie; apparently you're a newbie. That's OK.

A transformer (and *all* transformers that operate on line
frequency--50/60 Hz--are iron-core, so no need to specify that) converts
AC to AC.

If the wall wart contains diodes, then it's not just a transformer; it's
a DC power supply. (A transformer is part of it.)

So apparently what you have is a DC power supply, judging from the "10
vdc" above.

From my memory of Nebenzahl postings on this group he's gone from
complete noob who knew zilch about electronics to the major critic of
other posters in less than a year, time for him to STFU .

JC
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 4:47 PM Archon spake thus:

On 12/4/2010 5:17 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

No biggie; apparently you're a newbie. That's OK.

A transformer (and *all* transformers that operate on line
frequency--50/60 Hz--are iron-core, so no need to specify that)
converts AC to AC.

If the wall wart contains diodes, then it's not just a transformer;
it's a DC power supply. (A transformer is part of it.)

So apparently what you have is a DC power supply, judging from the
"10 vdc" above.

From my memory of Nebenzahl postings on this group he's gone from
complete noob who knew zilch about electronics to the major critic of
other posters in less than a year, time for him to STFU .

So please point out what, if anything, is wrong with what I posted above.

Didn't think so.

[I'm no electronics expert, but I'm not a "complete noob" either.]

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

[...]

Come on man... Give me a break.. Technically speaking, yes it is a "Power
Supply" but in it"s absolutely most simple form. I think had I said Power
supply from the beginning I would understand why people would be confused,
with most thinking of a SMPS. It is a transformer with a rectifier. I only
mentioned the 50/60 hz and the mA rating because of all the controversy.

Anyhow, the issue wasn't is it a power supply or not or if it contains
diodes or not....

I'll just check it in a couple of weeks when I'm back home, with my DMM and
see if my guess was right.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 7:05 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

So apparently what you have is a DC power supply, judging from the "10
vdc" above.

Come on man... Give me a break..

OK.

Technically speaking, yes it is a "Power
Supply" but in it"s absolutely most simple form. I think had I said Power
supply from the beginning I would understand why people would be confused,
with most thinking of a SMPS. It is a transformer with a rectifier.

Well, that's a power supply. Bare, nekkid, unregulated, but a power
supply nonetheless.

I'll just check it in a couple of weeks when I'm back home, with my DMM and
see if my guess was right.

Your guess is probably right.

I'm most intrigued, though, by that "100 V" rating. Is that written on
the outside? Because that's a nonstandard voltage, at least for the
parts of the world I'm familiar with. Where are you? What's the line
voltage where you live?

Maybe it's just a "nominal" rating, like the 90-140 V or so that some
power supplies will handle. In any case, the advice that others have
given here, basically "don't sweat it, the device's regulation will take
care of things" is good.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/4/2010 8:56 PM Brenda Ann spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

I'm most intrigued, though, by that "100 V" rating. Is that written on
the outside? Because that's a nonstandard voltage, at least for the
parts of the world I'm familiar with. Where are you? What's the line
voltage where you live?

Maybe it's just a "nominal" rating, like the 90-140 V or so that some
power supplies will handle. In any case, the advice that others have
given here, basically "don't sweat it, the device's regulation will take
care of things" is good.

100V is a standard voltage in Japan. What's really interesting about Japan
is that they not only use 100/220V power, but also 50 AND 60 Hz line
frequencies.

Butbutbut ... shouldn't that be 100/200 V? Usually the higher voltage is
double the lower one (two equal legs of the lower voltage). Here in
North American it's actually 120 & 240, at least nominally.

--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

http://wikileaks.de
http://wikileaks.fi
http://wikileaks.nl
http://wikileaks.eu
http://wikileaks.pl

And these IP addresses can be used:

http://213.251.145.96/
http://88.80.13.160/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Butbutbut ... shouldn't that be 100/200 V? Usually the higher voltage is
double the lower one (two equal legs of the lower voltage). Here in
North American it's actually 120 & 240, at least nominally.

Sorry I tuned in late, 100V is the standard line voltage in Japan.

I can't say what will happen to the device but it is an unregulated supply
it will put out 12 volts instead of 10, and get hot.

If that will damage the supply, or the device is hard to guess.

What I suggest to people who move here (Israel) from the US is to take the
supply to a good electronics store and they will sell you a replacememnt
that has the correct voltage, current supply and connector.

If that is not possible, and you can't get a local electronics person to
fit a proper supply (for example if the connector is unusual), then you
may want to go to a transformer manufacturer and make up a 120-100 volt
transformer. My guess is that a small one will cost $50-$75.

Here they are stock items (230-100) because due to the different power factor
(50Hz vs 60Hz line frequencyt) large motorized 120 volt appliances last longer
on 100v than 120.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" ..

Sorry I tuned in late, 100V is the standard line voltage in Japan.

I can't say what will happen to the device but it is an unregulated supply
it will put out 12 volts instead of 10, and get hot.

** Read the whole thread - imbecile.

Because Japan uses 50 Hz, the tranny will not run any hotter at 120 volts
at 60 Hz.

If that will damage the supply, or the device is hard to guess.

** Guessing is always easy - imbecile.

What I suggest to people who move here (Israel) from the US is to take the
supply to a good electronics store and they will sell you a replacememnt
that has the correct voltage, current supply and connector.

** Japan uses the same AC sockets as the USA.

There is simply no issue.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 19:05:14 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 12/4/2010 4:36 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 16:07:47 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

What I perceive

Is you being bitch-slapped.

q.e.d.

Looks like things didn't go the way you wanted them huh?

....heh