Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy[_2_] Michael Kennedy[_2_] is offline

Default 100v-- 10V Trans. on 120V

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 12/4/2010 12:04 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 12/4/2010 5:04 AM Mark Zacharias spake thus:

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

Having a DC output from a transformer is obviously more common
that you think.

The old style automotive ignition coil (autotransformer)
outputs HV DC.

That's one example, and it is a transformer although not the
kind used for a game system power source, and the output isn't
rectified.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

How do you get DC out of a transformer? Must be a really
special one ...

Of course, it's impossible to tell from the O.P. whether the thing in
question is really a transformer (outputs AC) or a
power supply (outputs DC).

To the OP, it would help us to know. What does it say on the
wall wart? Should say something like "10 VAC" or "10 VDC" or
some such.

Lot's of "wall-warts" have a rectifier diode and capacitor in the
same little box. More and more they actually have little
switching regulators in there. Those are more efficient and can
supply much more current, but they usually don't last much more
than about 15 months because they use such crappy little
capacitors in them, and they are virtually unserviceable.

Yes, we know that. My point is that a lot of wall warts are just
what the O.P. called them--transformers--and that we really have no
idea what his is, based on what he posted.

More informations, please.

Quote: Michael Kennedy
Here I have a Japanese Nintendo which has a 100V to 10V wall wart iorn

transformer.

/quote

Sorry I somehow forgot to write core a between iorn and transformer.
It is a 10vdc Iorn core transformer wall wart 50/60Hz 850mA. Not a
switcher. Most likely it has 4 diodes a fuse and possibly a small cap
insde of it along side the transformer. The regulation is inside of the
nintendo itself.

You don't understand.

No biggie; apparently you're a newbie. That's OK.

A transformer (and *all* transformers that operate on line
frequency--50/60 Hz--are iron-core, so no need to specify that) converts
AC to AC.

If the wall wart contains diodes, then it's not just a transformer; it's a
DC power supply. (A transformer is part of it.)

So apparently what you have is a DC power supply, judging from the "10
vdc" above.

Come on man... Give me a break.. Technically speaking, yes it is a "Power
Supply" but in it"s absolutely most simple form. I think had I said Power
supply from the beginning I would understand why people would be confused,
with most thinking of a SMPS. It is a transformer with a rectifier. I only
mentioned the 50/60 hz and the mA rating because of all the controversy.

Anyhow, the issue wasn't is it a power supply or not or if it contains
diodes or not....

I'll just check it in a couple of weeks when I'm back home, with my DMM and
see if my guess was right.