Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default 100v-- 10V Trans. on 120V

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Butbutbut ... shouldn't that be 100/200 V? Usually the higher voltage is
double the lower one (two equal legs of the lower voltage). Here in
North American it's actually 120 & 240, at least nominally.

Sorry I tuned in late, 100V is the standard line voltage in Japan.

I can't say what will happen to the device but it is an unregulated supply
it will put out 12 volts instead of 10, and get hot.

If that will damage the supply, or the device is hard to guess.

What I suggest to people who move here (Israel) from the US is to take the
supply to a good electronics store and they will sell you a replacememnt
that has the correct voltage, current supply and connector.

If that is not possible, and you can't get a local electronics person to
fit a proper supply (for example if the connector is unusual), then you
may want to go to a transformer manufacturer and make up a 120-100 volt
transformer. My guess is that a small one will cost $50-$75.

Here they are stock items (230-100) because due to the different power factor
(50Hz vs 60Hz line frequencyt) large motorized 120 volt appliances last longer
on 100v than 120.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.