Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default LCD conductive tape

I'm trying to repair a cheap alarm clock with an LCD display.

(I know this isn't worth my time but at this point I'm more
curious...)

A few segments of the LCD are not working and when I press the
conductive tape that connects the LCD to the board, it starts to
work. OK a bad connection.

But am trying to buy a piece of this conductive tape and I can't find
it anywhere even described on the Internet.

It seems like ordinary scotch adhesive tape but with conductive ink
tracks. It is 1.5mm pitch and has 28 conductors. It is simply stuck
onto the lip of the LCD and the PWB.

It's not zebra strip.
It's not flexible flat cable FFC which is actual wire.
This stuff is actually adhesive tape with conductive (black) ink.

What is this stuff called so I can search for it?

Anybody seen it for sale anywhere?

thanks
Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Can you remove the tape, and clean it and the board contacts? If so, that
might be all that's needed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Mark wrote:

[...]

http://www.atotech.com/en/products/e...ink-paste.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
isw isw is offline

In article
,
Mark wrote:

I'm trying to repair a cheap alarm clock with an LCD display.

(I know this isn't worth my time but at this point I'm more
curious...)

A few segments of the LCD are not working and when I press the
conductive tape that connects the LCD to the board, it starts to
work. OK a bad connection.

Why not just arrange a piece of fairly stiff foam to press on it just
like your finger does?

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Mark wrote in message
[...]

3M anisotropic tape ? do you have a tame bank manager ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Mark wrote in message
[...]

Just permanentise your fingers with dense foam/rubber/wedges against casing
or against cable ties around pcb

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 15:24:38 -0800 (PST), the renowned Mark
wrote:

I'm trying to repair a cheap alarm clock with an LCD display.

(I know this isn't worth my time but at this point I'm more
curious...)

A few segments of the LCD are not working and when I press the
conductive tape that connects the LCD to the board, it starts to
work. OK a bad connection.

But am trying to buy a piece of this conductive tape and I can't find
it anywhere even described on the Internet.

It seems like ordinary scotch adhesive tape but with conductive ink
tracks. It is 1.5mm pitch and has 28 conductors. It is simply stuck
onto the lip of the LCD and the PWB.

It's not zebra strip.
It's not flexible flat cable FFC which is actual wire.
This stuff is actually adhesive tape with conductive (black) ink.

What is this stuff called so I can search for it?

They're called "Heat Seal Connectors" generically. Originated by a
Japanese company, IIRC (Shin-Etsu, maybe?) , but now more widely
produced.

Anybody seen it for sale anywhere?

Tons of it, but only in Asia. You allegedly need proper (expensive,
generally) equipment to get reliable bonds, so it's generally
considered unsuitable for low volumes, but I suspect anyone with a
small mill could cob something up with an arbor press and a
temperature-controlled metal strip that would work adequately given a
bit of practice.

thanks
Mark

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

wrote:

[...]

Ramsey used to sell one to bond LCD displays for pagers & cell
phones. It was made from a 1/2 ton arbor press.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

If it is just scotch tape with tracks on it, you could make your own with a
conductive ink pen.

If it were me though, I would wedge foam in there like others have
suggested.

-Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

It's not zebra strip.
It's not flexible flat cable FFC which is actual wire.
This stuff is actually adhesive tape with conductive (black) *ink.

What is this stuff called so I can search for it?

Anybody seen it for sale anywhere?

thanks
Mark

If it were me though, I would wedge foam in there like others have
suggested.

-Mike

Spehro, and the others..

thank you..."heat seal connectors" is the term.

http://www.yipshing.com.hk/ok/lcd_connector.htm

I should have just arranged something to press and hold it in place
but I already pulled it off, so I'll chalk this on up to lesson
learned. It was a $5 clock so no big deal.

If you come across this stuff, do NOT pull it off, that will only make
it worse.

Mark

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

Mark wrote in message

[...]

&&&&&&&&

I was just going to ask if anyone had a URL for this stuff

I wonder if there is a living to be made by a native English speaker
technical author contacting these Chinese and HK companies and charging for
tidying up their "english"

Anyone happen to know what the bonding chemical is ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Mark wrote in message

[...]

Actually yes, at least in Japan there is. I don't have any expirence in
China, but I know for a fact here in Japan there are jobs for native
speakers all over the place in correcting "Engrish"..

Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

I wonder if there is a living to be made by a native-English
speaker technical author contacting these Chinese and HK
companies and charging for tidying up their "english"?

The term is "Engrish", and NO, THERE IS NOT.

I've been trying "forever" to get several companies, native and foreign --
including National Semiconductor -- to pay me to edit their docuementation.
THEY WILL NOT. It is of less than zero concern to them. As long as they make
money, the quality of their user manuals, etc, does not matter.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:09:44 +0900, "Michael Kennedy"
wrote:

I wonder if there is a living to be made by a native English speaker
technical author contacting these Chinese and HK companies and charging
for
tidying up their "english"

Actually yes, at least in Japan there is. I don't have any expirence in
China, but I know for a fact here in Japan there are jobs for native
speakers all over the place in correcting "Engrish"..

Mike

Probably, if it was reasonably priced. On a somewhat related note, I
recently met a middle-aged Brit lady who lives on Lantau in HK. One of
her part-time income streams is short term contracts where she is
flown to a factory on the mainland and she tries on their prototype
bras and offers feedback on fit, support etc. Fairly lucrative by the
hour, if one is the type of woman who can't run without suffering two
black eyes...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 04:39:19 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I wonder if there is a living to be made by a native-English
speaker technical author contacting these Chinese and HK
companies and charging for tidying up their "english"?

The term is "Engrish", and NO, THERE IS NOT.

I've been trying "forever" to get several companies, native and foreign --
including National Semiconductor -- to pay me to edit their docuementation.
THEY WILL NOT. It is of less than zero concern to them. As long as they make
money, the quality of their user manuals, etc, does not matter.

Probably they'd find it embarassing to admit that their
"docuementation" was in any way lacking. Maybe with a bit of guangxi..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Mark wrote in message

[...]
I wonder if there is a living to be made by a native English speaker
technical author contacting these Chinese and HK companies and charging
for
tidying up their "english"

Actually yes, at least in Japan there is. I don't have any expirence in
China, but I know for a fact here in Japan there are jobs for native
speakers all over the place in correcting "Engrish"..

....and correcting the spelling of words like "experience"? :-)

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design

"William Sommerwerck" kirjoitti

I've worked at and for Microsoft, and it seemed fairly concerned about
providing good documentation in other languages. Whether it did or not, I
don't know. I can tell you that Steve Ballmer has less-than-zero concern
about its English documentation. (I can show you the e-mail to prove it.)

Yes, Microsoft translations are quite high quality, at least around here

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What? And ruin a perfect score on poor documentation?

Some Japanese companies have very good English manuals -- because they're
written by Americans. Plextor is one, Standard Vertex (Yaesu) is another.

I have a Yamaha DSP-3000 dating back 20 years, and the manual appears to
have been written by a native-English speaker. I don't know about current
Yamaha products.

The second-worst user manuals I've ever seen are for my Olympus and Canon
DSLRs. THE worst is for my Pioneer plasma TV. It tells you ABSOLUTELY
NOTHING about what the controls actually do, and how one should adjust them.
And it's over 100 pages long!