Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default motherboard cpu power section check

My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on battery
only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty component,
where could I find pinouts and voltages to check for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51 CA+MIC
MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 T5300
5648B999 SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike De Petris wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on battery
only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty component,
where could I find pinouts and voltages to check for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51 CA+MIC
MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 T5300
5648B999 SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06

I don't know about acquiring a schematic for trouble shooting the MB,
but the first thing I would do is test the power adapter with a load
attached. I have repaired several that output the correct voltage but
failed to regulate when loaded down.

Also, some Toshiba Satellite computers were notorious for having power
connector problems. I trust this computer does NOT have such a problem?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 1:43*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

no problems on the connector
tried different power supplies, even stabilized laboratory psu
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:55:24 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 13, 1:43Â*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on
battery only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty component,
where could I find pinouts and voltages to check for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51 CA+MIC
MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 Â* Â*T5300
5648B999 Â*SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06

Â* Â* Â* Â* I don't know about acquiring a schematic for trouble
Â* Â* Â* Â* shooting the MB,
but the first thing I would do is test the power adapter with a load
attached. Â*I have repaired several that output the correct voltage but
failed to regulate when loaded down.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Also, some Toshiba Satellite computers were notorious for
Â* Â* Â* Â* having power
connector problems. Â*I trust this computer does NOT have such a
problem?

no problems on the connector
tried different power supplies, even stabilized laboratory psu

Did you try cleaning the air ducts? When on batter the CPU 'may' be at a
reduced clock speed via Toshiba Power Management when on battery. When on
the PSU, the CPU will go to full speed and may just be over heating.

Food for thought --

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 1:43*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

thank you, anyway please consider the laptop is completely teared a
part, non problems of air flow, and when connectinh power it locks
immediately even if in the BIOS pages

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 1:43Â*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

Â* Â* Â* Â* for having power
connector problems. Â*I trust this computer does NOT have such a
problem?

no problems on the connector
tried different power supplies, even stabilized laboratory psu

Did you try cleaning the air ducts? When on batter the CPU 'may' be at
a reduced clock speed via Toshiba Power Management when on battery.
When on the PSU, the CPU will go to full speed and may just be over
heating.

Food for thought --

thank you, anyway please consider the laptop is completely teared a
part, non problems of air flow, and when connectinh power it locks
immediately even if in the BIOS pages

Had no way of knowing since you didn't mention these additional facts in
your original post.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 1:43*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, I'm just forgetting pieces as I wrote this long story many
time in different newsgroups and forums, and still need to find a
solution.

Anyway I can still use the laptop on battery, or giving 12V with an
ATX PSU in place of the positive battery pole, leaving other battery
contacts in place.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 1:43Â*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on
battery only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty
component, where could I find pinouts and voltages to check
for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51
CA+MIC MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 Â* Â*T5300
5648B999 Â*SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06

Â* Â* Â* Â* I don't know about acquiring a schematic for trouble
Â* Â* Â* Â* shooting the MB,
but the first thing I would do is test the power adapter with a
load attached. Â*I have repaired several that output the correct
[...]

Usually those things run off a 19 volt 95 watt PSU.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 1:43 pm, wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

Have you looked at the MB power bus (+5v I would assume) for ripple
when you attach the external power supply?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 9:54*pm, Ken wrote:
* * * * Have you looked at the MB power bus (+5v I would assume) for ripple
when you attach the external power supply?

this is what I am asking for, I tought I should measure it at the
socket pin holes, how can I idetify the +5V line on the motherboard?

And how would you measure (and fix the cause) a ripple on the bus? I
have a couple of scopes and multimeters for that, but how?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 9:13*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
Anyway I can still use the laptop on battery, or giving 12V with an ATX
PSU in place of the positive battery pole, leaving other battery
contacts in place.

Usually those things run off a 19 volt 95 watt PSU.

yes of course, but this motherboard does not like it any more, 12V
from the battery (or external, faking the battery connector) is still
ok instead

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 13, 9:25*am, Mike De Petris wrote:

... the laptop is completely teared a
part, non problems of air flow, and when connectinh power it locks
immediately even if in the BIOS pages

There's a second CPU (a little tiny one) that handles the power
sequencing. The 'BIOS pages' are only for the big CPU, it's that
little battery-monitor one that runs into some kind of trouble, and
it has that problem every time the external power is applied and
it tries to do the natural thing, run the computer from external
power and charge the battery. Somehow it senses overvoltage
or overcurrent and shuts down.

Look for small-value current sense resistors that are open, or
for semiconductor switches that are shorted (can't turn off).
There are often PMOS power switch transistors involved.
Also, look for fuses (they might not LOOK like fuses, though).

Battery charge current might be channeled through a switchmode
regulator, those have always had problems if a capacitor fails.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike De Petris wrote:
On Aug 13, 9:54 pm, wrote:
Have you looked at the MB power bus (+5v I would assume) for ripple
when you attach the external power supply?

this is what I am asking for, I tought I should measure it at the
socket pin holes, how can I idetify the +5V line on the motherboard?

My guess is the hard drive is operating on +5v. You could measure it
there.

And how would you measure (and fix the cause) a ripple on the bus? I
have a couple of scopes and multimeters for that, but how?

First determine if it has ripple. You can normally take a volt meter
set for AC and measure the ripple on a DC bus. Old VOM's used a cap to
isolate the AC from the DC component, but the new DVM's generally work
for this. If you did find ripple, look for a cap that is bad or
possibly a diode that is shorted. First determine if it exists.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A schematic of the Toshiba A205 series can be found in this forum:

www.reepair.net/en

Here's a really good website about Toshiba laptops:

www.IrisVista.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 14, 2:47*am, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:
A schematic of the Toshiba A205 series can be found in this forum:

* *www.reepair.net/en

Here's a really good website about Toshiba laptops:

* *www.IrisVista.com

great !! thank you, will have a deep reading

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mike De Petris" wrote in message
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on battery
only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty component,
where could I find pinouts and voltages to check for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51 CA+MIC
MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 T5300
5648B999 SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06

try here

http://www.reepair.net/en/forumdispl...top-Schematics

zack

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 01:56:24 -0700 (PDT), Mike De Petris
wrote:

My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on battery
only.
Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/Laptop-will-only-run-on-battery-freezes-when-the-ac-is-plugged/m-p/114865
(5 pages). Lots of good suggestions some of which include successful
repairs.
Mo
http://www.fixya.com/support/t2946491-freeze_when_power_cord_plugged_in
http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/Laptop-shuts-down-as-soon-as-adapter-plugged-in/td-p/114041

I've seen this twice and fixed it more by accident than by intent. In
one case, I left the battery out of the laptop, and no charger plugged
in, for about a weekend. When I returned on Monday, everything
magically worked normally. In the 2nd case, I was trying various
combinations of starting the computer, with the battery, without the
battery, with both, etc. At one point, it magically started working.
That was about 1-2 years ago, and both customers are still using the
laptops.

However, I have another Toshiblah laptop in the office with similar
(not identical) problems, that I can't fix. It also won't charge the
battery, although it will run on battery if I charge it in another
laptop. The problem was traced to a crappy BGA soldering job on the
video chip. Try booting from battery in Safe Mode, and then plug in
the charger. If that works, then it's probable that you have a video
chip soldering problem. (I'm debating the merits of buying an
overpriced hot air rework station. I borrowed one, liked it, but had
to return it).

Please do not tinker with external power supplies unless you're
absolutely sure you're using the correct power plug, and the correct
voltage. I've seen what's left of the laptop when the clip leads get
swapped, or the power supply mysteriously got to maximum. It's not
pretty. The correct power supply is 19v 3.4A negative ground,
5.5/2.5/12mm connector.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 15, 6:03*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on battery
only.
Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

thanks to your suggestions, I did a BIG step forward, I had a try at
this:
"In SafeMode Goto control panel-- device manager--- goto
processor---- disable one of the two processors -- reboot normally.
This FIXED the problem, but 1processor is not really a great fix; more
of a work around."

And IT WORKS, pc is now running on external power at the moment, a
thing that I've never seen on it. I tryed disabling a cpu core in BIOS
in the past unsuccesfully, but disableng from devmgmt.msc fixed it.

I do not think it can be a ripple problem because it did not boot at
all when connected on power, but who know? Still have to understand if
it is:
- faulty cpu
- faulty cpu power section
- bad cpu/other microcode

I would try to see with scope and multimeter but still don't know
exactly what and where to look for.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 02:12:28 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 15, 6:03Â*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Is that a dual core CPU or hyperthreaded single core.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:13:09 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

Is that a dual core CPU or hyperthreaded single core.

1.73GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5300

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Is that a dual core CPU or hyperthreaded single core.

1.73GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5300

Ok it's got two cores. Reason I asked was disabling say a 2 ghz single
core HT CPU can acutally boost performance. When in HT mode the RAM and
the CPU process at 1 ghz.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Is that a dual core CPU or hyperthreaded single core.

1.73GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T5300

Ok it's got two cores. Reason I asked was disabling say a 2 ghz single
core HT CPU can acutally boost performance. When in HT mode the RAM and
the CPU process at 1 ghz.

After the "cpu disabled trick" worked well for hours, with laptop
running and restarting with it PSU, I had no more luck. The day after
it didn't start as before. Tried the trick again, I even disabled both
cpus in devmgmt but no luck. Used an hardware monitoring program to
investigate situation but nothing helps, only curious thing is that
trying to access ACPI temperature values the pc suddenly powered down.

Even when all seems running weel on battery, or "fake battery" with
12V PSU, the pc freezes at a point in some conditions that I still
have to determine, but to me this shows it's an hardware fault.
When running on normal PSU in Windows 7 I tried to change the options
for the power/tilt/sleep buttons and the pc freezed, and that was when
it didn't worked any more that way. Power buttons options can be
changed without problem running on battery.
On battery the pc can run for hours, but it seems that stressing it a
bit and leaving it alone leads to a freeze or a sudden power down,
maybe when the power management decides to do something, something
that I cannot know as I simply find the pc hanging on or completely
powered off.

I must check the motherboard, but except for ONE capacitor in the
power section that is 3 or 4 mm big (and still smd) all others are
small SMD, and you can just identify them by being marked Cnumber as
I think all resistors are Rnumber.

The problem is I need to find a day with plenty of time, as to test
those capacitors needs to unweld them with hot air check and solder
them again, and they are soooo small... there are smd three-legs
transistor components too, but I do not think I would be able to check
them.

Maybe I should start with the few fuses and resistors as they can be
checked in place to see if they are opened, at least.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

You seem to have a decent strategy in place. Have you thought about
installing a software program that can monitor CPU core and other
voltages? I've used Motherboard Monitor on desktops, it may work on your
Intel based board. And it's a free utility.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...-Monitor.shtml

All motherboards have some sensors and/or other ACPI based sensors.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...oard-Monitor.s...

All motherboards have some sensors and/or other ACPI based sensors.

thank you, I tried one but didn't give me voltages, all other values
are normal, accessing ACPI temperatures leaded to a sudden power off,
will have a try with other monitoring software

in the while I'm also looking a cheap compatible CPU, I am still not
that sure it's a mainboard fault
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...o/Motherboard-

Monitor.s...

All motherboards have some sensors and/or other ACPI based sensors.

thank you, I tried one but didn't give me voltages, all other values are
normal, accessing ACPI temperatures leaded to a sudden power off, will
have a try with other monitoring software

in the while I'm also looking a cheap compatible CPU, I am still not
that sure it's a mainboard fault

I'd have to assume that Toshiba still uses a proprietary ACPI interface.
My Satellite 1905-S301 has it's own Toshiba power management console.

I doubt it's the CPU but rather the ACPI hardware. If it is the CPU and
you get a cheap replacement that would be great, I would be wrong and it
wouldn't be the first time.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I will give it a try as I found a cheap CPU, I'll test it and will
resell it in case, but at least I will be sure mine is ok.

As "ACPI hardware" seems to be guilty, where should I look for on the
motherboard and what should I check first? There are so many small
capacitors around... may it be a custom chip?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good question. Maybe a program like Belarc Advisor could tell you what
device(s) is/are responsible. I think it's another freeware app so you
may check it out.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

what can we say from this:

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: W (in WORKGROUP)
Profile Date: martedì 17 agosto 2010 19:48:57
Advisor Version: 8.1m
Windows Logon: mike

Operating System System Model
Windows 7 Ultimate (build 7600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: Italian (Italy) TOSHIBA Satellite A205
PSAF0U-01Q009
System Serial Number: 37252508Q
Enclosure Type: Other
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1,73 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: Intel Corporation CAPELL VALLEY(NAPA)
CRB
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 5.20 10/25/2007
Drives Memory Modules c,d
79,92 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
67,18 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ST980210AS [Hard drive] (80,03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5QY0S80G, rev
3.ALC, SMART Status: Healthy 1016 Megabytes Usable Installed
Memory

Slot 'M1' has 512 MB
Slot 'M2' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 79,92 GB 67,18 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
mike 17/08/2010 07:21:31 (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator 14/07/2009 06:53:58 (admin)
Guest never
HomeGroupUser$ 17/08/2010 19:05:41

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:
Microsoft XPS Document Writer on XPSPort:
Controllers Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller -
27C4 Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]
(2x)
Generic PnP Monitor (15,4"vis)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Texas Instruments PCI-8x12/7x12/6x12 CardBus Controller
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
High Definition Audio Device
Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
Microsoft Security Essentials Version 2.1.6805.0
Scan Engine Version 1.1.6004.0
Virus Definitions Version 1.87.1998.0
Realtime File Scanning On
None discovered
Communications Other Devices

Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.178.29 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.178.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.178.1
Physical Address: 00:A01:72:93:47
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.178.1
Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Microsoft Composite Battery
HID-compliant consumer control device
HID-compliant device
USB Input Device (2x)
HID Keyboard Device
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
USB Composite Device
USB Root Hub (5x)
Generic volume shadow copy
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:56:58 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately I don't see any specific mentioning ACPI hardware except
the battery.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 17, 11:07*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

I have just read this:
http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/B...ht/false#M5279

will try an XP installation.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:07:25 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 17, 11:07Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:56:58 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:
what can we say from this:

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Â* Â* W (in WORKGROUP) Profile Date: Â* Â* Â*martedì 17
agosto 2010 19:48:57 Advisor Version:

Â* Â* Â* Â* 8.1m
Windows Logon: Â* Â* mike

Operating System Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* System Model Windows 7 Ultimate (build
7600)
Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: Italian
(Italy)
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*TOSHIBA Satellite A205 PSAF0U-01Q009
System Serial Number: 37252508Q
Enclosure Type: Other
Processor a Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Main Circuit Board b 1,73 gigahertz Intel
Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Board: Intel Corporation CAPELL
VALLEY

(NAPA) CRB
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD 5.20 10/25/2007 Drives

Memory Modules
c,d
79,92 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 67,18 Gigabytes Hard Drive
Free Space

ST980210AS [Hard drive] (80,03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5QY0S80G, rev
3.ALC, SMART Status: Healthy Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*1016 Megabytes Usable
Installed

Memory

Slot 'M1' has 512 MB
Slot 'M2' has 512 MB
Â* Â*Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) Â* Â* Â* 79,92 GB Â* Â* Â* Â*67,18 GB free
Â* Â*Network Drives
Â* Â*None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Printers local

user
accounts Â* last logon
Â*mike Â* Â* Â*17/08/2010 07:21:31 Â* Â* (admin)
local system accounts
Â*Administrator Â* Â* 14/07/2009 06:53:58 Â* Â* (admin) Guest Â* never
Â*HomeGroupUser$ Â* Â*17/08/2010 19:05:41

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; Â* LOCKED OUT Marks a locked
account

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver Â* Â* Â* Â*on SHRFAX: Microsoft XPS Document
Writer on XPSPort: Controllers Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Display ATA Channel 0
[Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller -
27C4 Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
[Display

adapter]
(2x)
Generic PnP Monitor (15,4"vis)
Bus Adapters Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Multimedia Texas Instruments
PCI-8x12/7x12/6x12 CardBus Controller Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family)
USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family)
USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9 Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family)
USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family)
USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family)
USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC High Definition Audio Device
Virus Protection [Back to Top] Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* new Group Policies

Microsoft Security
Essentials Version 2.1.6805.0
Â* Â* Scan Engine Version 1.1.6004.0
Â* Â* Virus Definitions Version 1.87.1998.0 Realtime File Scanning On
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*None discovered
Communications Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Other Devices

Marvell Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Â*primary Â* Auto IP Address: Â* Â* Â* Â*192.168.178.29 / 24
Â* Â*Gateway: Â* Â* Â* Â*192.168.178.1
Â* Â*Dhcp Server: Â* Â*192.168.178.1
Â* Â*Physical Address: Â* Â* Â* 00:A01:72:93:47
Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Networking Dns Server: Â* Â* 192.168.178.1
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI Compliant Host
Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery Microsoft Composite
Battery
HID-compliant consumer control device HID-compliant device USB Input
Device (2x)
HID Keyboard Device
Standard PS/2 Keyboard
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller USB Composite Device USB
Root Hub (5x)
Generic volume shadow copy

Unfortunately I don't see any specific mentioning ACPI hardware except
the battery.

I have just read this:
http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/B...atellite-A205-

S5800-freezes-when-AC-power-cord-is-connected/m-p/129846/highlight/
false#M5279

will try an XP installation.

So it's a problem with Win 7 and Vista? It would then seem as though
Toshiba has gotten away from proprietary ACPI drivers and its own control
panel and moved to letting Windows ACPI do the job. This may be a bug in
Vista / Win 7 ACPI when certain hardware is present and Windows provide
the driver for the interface. Let us know what XP does for you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 18, 3:45*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

I will have a try but needs time, anyway I'm skeptical as the pc do
not boot at all, I don't know if there are any ACPI settings that are
stored in the CMOS even if BIOS has no settings for them, but who
knows?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:12:38 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 18, 3:45Â*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

Device Virus Protection [Back to Top] Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* new Group
Policies
Microsoft Security
Essentials Version 2.1.6805.0
Â* Â* Scan Engine Version 1.1.6004.0
Â* Â* Virus Definitions Version 1.87.1998.0 Realtime File Scanning
Â* Â* On
[...]

Depends in the CMOS/BIOS. Some have very limited adjustments. Some might
have ACPI settings. So the thing doesn't boot on AC power? That's not a
software issue. That's a problem with onboard battery management. Or
possible a slight corruption in the BIOS code.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Aug 18, 6:47*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
Depends in the CMOS/BIOS. Some have very limited adjustments. Some might
have ACPI settings. So the thing doesn't boot on AC power? That's not a
software issue. That's a problem with onboard battery management. Or
possible a slight corruption in the BIOS code.

yes it boots with battery only, as soon as I connect the AC cord it
freezes, even in the BIOS, and if it is connected from the beginning
LEDs light up, fan starts, display flashes a while but nothing more

anyway, when I disable a CPU from device manager in safe mode, the pc
worked well all the day, even shutting down and restarting, until I
used a software tool to read ACPI temperatures, at that point it
suddenly powered off and all was like before