Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike De Petris Mike De Petris is offline

Default motherboard cpu power section check

On Aug 13, 4:23*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:55:24 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:
On Aug 13, 1:43*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on
battery only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty component,
where could I find pinouts and voltages to check for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51 CA+MIC
MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 * *T5300
5648B999 *SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06

* * * * I don't know about acquiring a schematic for trouble
* * * * shooting the MB,
but the first thing I would do is test the power adapter with a load
attached. *I have repaired several that output the correct voltage but
failed to regulate when loaded down.

* * * * Also, some Toshiba Satellite computers were notorious for
* * * * having power
connector problems. *I trust this computer does NOT have such a
problem?

no problems on the connector
tried different power supplies, even stabilized laboratory psu

Did you try cleaning the air ducts? When on batter the CPU 'may' be at a
reduced clock speed via Toshiba Power Management when on battery. When on
the PSU, the CPU will go to full speed and may just be over heating.

Food for thought --

thank you, anyway please consider the laptop is completely teared a
part, non problems of air flow, and when connectinh power it locks
immediately even if in the BIOS pages