Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default motherboard cpu power section check

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 04:55:24 -0700, Mike De Petris wrote:

On Aug 13, 1:43Â*pm, Ken wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
My laptop freezes when I connect the power cord, works well on
battery only.

I want to check the motherbard in search for the faulty component,
where could I find pinouts and voltages to check for?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 (PSAF0U-01Q009)

Laptop Motherboard: MAIN BOARD 945GM. Main Board 945GM EXC+51 CA+MIC
MDC 1310A2120812 Alternate Part Numbers: V000108030

Processor:
LF80537 Â* Â*T5300
5648B999 Â*SL9WE
1.73/2M/533
INTEL... copyright 06

Â* Â* Â* Â* I don't know about acquiring a schematic for trouble
Â* Â* Â* Â* shooting the MB,
but the first thing I would do is test the power adapter with a load
attached. Â*I have repaired several that output the correct voltage but
failed to regulate when loaded down.

Â* Â* Â* Â* Also, some Toshiba Satellite computers were notorious for
Â* Â* Â* Â* having power
connector problems. Â*I trust this computer does NOT have such a
problem?

no problems on the connector
tried different power supplies, even stabilized laboratory psu

Did you try cleaning the air ducts? When on batter the CPU 'may' be at a
reduced clock speed via Toshiba Power Management when on battery. When on
the PSU, the CPU will go to full speed and may just be over heating.

Food for thought --