Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NOISY Whirlpool Dehumidifier

Hi,

I bought a Whirlpool model AD50DSS2 dehumidifier. It is a very NOISY
(vibration noise) dehumidifier!

A service man came. He thought he fixed it, but later the NOISE was
back.

The dehumidifier's cabinet "amplifies" the compressor's vibration. A
call to Whirlpool was no help at all.

I am a ham radio operator and found out from other hams that I am not the
only one that has a NOISY Whirlpool dehumidifier.

I would like to hear from others with the same problem.

Thank You in Advance, John N3AOF

PS, Remove "ine" from my email address

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

What about putting something heavy on the dehumidifier to dampen the sound?

About a year ago I considered buying a dehumidifier for my garage. After
searching the Web for reviews, I discovered that all dehumidifiers, from any
manufacturer, are pretty much junk. (Ditto for toaster-ovens, but that's
another matter.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 7 May 2010 06:48:57 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

What about putting something heavy on the dehumidifier to dampen the sound?

About a year ago I considered buying a dehumidifier for my garage. After
searching the Web for reviews, I discovered that all dehumidifiers, from any
manufacturer, are pretty much junk. (Ditto for toaster-ovens, but that's
another matter.)

Just assume that you're buying a device with a two year life and get
the best deal you can.

Although some of the LG models now have a 5 year warranty...

John
dehumidifier in the basement with a condensate pump to move the water
- because it runs year-round in Georgia
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
What about putting something heavy on the dehumidifier to dampen the sound?

or jam some rolled up/folded cardboard wherever you can to make parts
vibrate less. This hack works on machinery with vibrating panels or other
parts that make noise even louder.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi!

It seems that all new dehumidifiers are junk. I don't know. I have two
vintage units--one a Ward's Signature brand and the other a Sears
Coldspot--that are going on 40 years old now and still work perfectly.
(The Signature lost its low fan speed about ten years ago, but who
cares? Who would blame it? The Sears unit has only needed a new fan
motor...while the overflow cutoff is bad, it empties into a drain and
I don't care about the long defunct neon "full" indicator.)

As to your problem...check the rubber mounts on which the compressor
lives. There should be four or so between each "foot" of the
compressor and the frame of the unit. If those seem to be OK (and the
fasteners are reasonably tight), check the fan motor and its blades.
The motor could be loose or the fan blades might be hitting something.

If you can, try to run the unit with the cover or grille(s) off to see
what is making the sound. Exercise caution before touching anything
inside to see if you can change or eliminate the rattle.

William