Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default NOISY Whirlpool Dehumidifier

On 07/05/2010 14:19, wrote:
Hi,

I bought a Whirlpool model AD50DSS2 dehumidifier. It is a very NOISY
(vibration noise) dehumidifier!

A service man came. He thought he fixed it, but later the NOISE was
back.

The dehumidifier's cabinet "amplifies" the compressor's vibration. A
call to Whirlpool was no help at all.

Could it be possible to build a large baffle box about it using sheets
of MDF constructed so to avoid a direct path between the unit and
outside. Bit like constructing a large phat-box speaker cabinet with a
damping line? Obviously want to avoid the MDF getting wet.

Also, sticking sheets of bitumous deadening material on the case - sort
used stuck to automotive body panels - would probably help.

Finally, securing the compressor on anti-vibration mounts might be
possible, or improving the isolation it already has.

Also ...

I note this questions has been posted by the OP on many non-subject
related newsgroups and has had some similar answers, to which there has
been no response. I fear, but hope not, that he just wants to complain
and do nothing else.

The point is Radio Hams *don't* do nothing else. By their very nature,
they get right in there and tinker it, MODIFY it, even BEAT it - until
it works ....

--
Adrian C