Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics

Default Resistor for neon indicator lamp

I've got a tankless electric water heater from eemax. that stopped
working the other day. eemax won't provide any component level
support, but I've ordered a new board for $45.00.

When I opened up the unit, after switching off the circuit breaker on
the 240V AC line, I observed that a big (maybe 3-5 watt) (metal film?)
resistor was discolored and was an open circuit. The markings look
like 100 ohms, but because of the discoloration it's hard to be sure.
I say metal film because the resistor is pale blue in color. The
resistor feds a neon indicator bulb... (And probablly more of the
circuitry.)

My question. Is 100 ohms a good value as a current limiting resistor
for a small neon lamp running off 240 V AC? (60 Hz if that matters.)
I'm not sure what the I-V curve for the lamp will look like. (Is the
one shown here OK?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neon_lamp

Thanks for any advice.

George H.