Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
[email protected] jfeng@my-deja.com is offline

Default Resistor for neon indicator lamp

On Mar 1, 1:53*pm, George Herold wrote:
My question. *Is 100 ohms a good value as a current limiting resistor
for a small neon lamp running off 240 V AC? *(60 Hz if that matters.)
I'm not sure what the I-V curve for the lamp will look like. *(Is the
one shown here OK?)

Does yours look like the one in the wiki article? If so, I would vote
for a value between 100K and 470K. At 100K, a half-watt resistor
would be marginal, and I would go for one rated for 1 watt. Within
this range, the value is probably not too critical.