Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reverse Engineering Problem Help/Advice

As a hobby I have been dabbling in cinematography (movies with real
film). As a result of the digital revolution there are very few ways
to project film with a synchronous sound track without investing in a
small fortune in gear/services. However, there is a work around. In
the first half of the seventies when prosumer level movie makers
wanted to make a film with a sound track that could be edited along
with the film, they used two system sound (a separate recorder). This
could either be a regular 1/4-1/2" reel-to-reel deck, cassette deck,
perforated tape deck (fullcoat deck). Since the cameras of that era
did not have a crystal oscillator to regulate the speed of the drive
motor, the deck would be attached to the camera with an umbilical
cable a pulse sync or pilot tone reference. This was either resolved
by the deck or recorded on a separate track to be resolved later.
Nagra type recorders performed this function.

The deck that I have purchased has the ability to resolve pulse sync
sound built in to the deck. This would allow me to slave the deck to
a projector running at an arbitrary speed, and the sound will stay in
sync. I purchased this deck on ebay, and after some fiddling and
investment of parts, I was able to get it running and recording.

Here is the problem; I have no documentation for the deck, and I
cannot be certain as to what type of reference that deck syncs to from
the camera. There are some industry standards for pulse sync.
However, there are several, with no particular standard being
universal.

To resolve this problem I have traced out the DIVIDER board and
entered the schematic into LTSpice (a very cool and free circuit
simulation program). I would assume that this board is fed by the
built 480Hz tuning fork frequency standard. This signal is in turn
divided by eight by the DIVIDER board. This signal is fed to an
inverter. The AC from the inverter, in turn, powers a constant RPM
stepper/sync motor. This allows the perf tape to run through the
machine at exactly the same rate film would run through a camera at 24
frames per second.

The deck has a setting to sync off of the camera as well. When I
switch the deck to camera sync mode, the tape transport does not run.
I assume that it is waiting for a signal from the camera to generate
60Hz for the inverter to turn the motor.

What I have tried:

At this point because of the position of the board I am not able to
probe all of the inputs/outputs of the card with a scope. However, I
know that the line from the camera goes to pin six (B6 on the
schematic) on the bottom of the divider board. I also see that there
is a very ugly square wave at pin 3 (12V P2P per my scope). There is
also a tiny 60Hz sawtooth at the camera sync in pin. I have not been
able to find out by probing where or/if the tuning fork reference goes
to the DIVIDER board. The tuning fork is marked 480Hz. However, its
output is 2X (960Hz) square wave (2V P2P) per the scope. I have tried
to model this input, and tried injecting it on all of the different
ports in my model in LTSpice, however, I have not been able to get it
to divide. I am not sure what port this goes into. I have also tried
with another circuit that is on the same simulation to feed the camera
input 1000Hz 20ms pulses at 24 pulses per second as this is one of the
more popular standard. However, the DIVIDER in my simulation does not
seem to be doing what it is doing in the deck. I have provided a link
to my ASC file for you guys to poke around at. I have a lot of theory
background, but I have not spent much time working with these type of
problems. My training is in physics/ham radio. Maybe one or two of
you can see a little more clearly how this thing is supposed to work.
Thanks for the help.

http://chrismaness.com/backend/Divider_Board.asc

Here is a pdf schematic:

http://chrismaness.com/backend/Divider_Board.pdf

Regards,
Chris Maness KQ6UP
SoCal
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 28, 6:08*pm, Chris wrote:
[...]

Couldn't easily open you file. But, do you have a signal generator?
Have you looked at the output of the camera that is supposed to go to
the audio unit?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 28, 7:01*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jan 28, 6:08*pm, Chris wrote:

[...]

Use LTSpice to read the .asc file. It is free. There is no specific
camera that goes with the deck. The most widely used industry
standard is 20ms pulses of 1000Hz sine wave every frame advance in the
camera. That works out to 24Hz in the US. I do not have a signal
generator.

I have a new problem now. I think I fried one of the power
transistors in the inverter. I dropped my scope probe where I
shouldn't have, and now the transport is not running right. I opened
up the inverter and one of the transistors was discolored and there
are small metal crystals inside the cover. 2N1542 info on this
transistor says that it is a Germanium power transistor. Maybe those
are Germanium crystals inside the cover? Strange.

Regards,
Chris