Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reverse Sensors Problem

Hello there,

I've installed a front(2) and rear(4) reverse sensors on my vehicle.
The front sensors are always on, the rear ones come on with the
reverse gear lamp power. one cable is connected to the break lamp
also.

The problem is if I engage the reverse gear the while the engine is
off and break off, the rear sensors work fine, If I engage the break
the rear sensors get cutoff. There is no way I could engage the
reverse gear without using the break. So how do I get my reverse
sensors to work even if I have my break on.

Please help

Koka

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello there,

I've installed a front(2) and rear(4) reverse sensors on my vehicle.
The front sensors are always on, the rear ones come on with the
reverse gear lamp power. one cable is connected to the break lamp
also.

The problem is if I engage the reverse gear the while the engine is
off and break off, the rear sensors work fine, If I engage the break
the rear sensors get cutoff. There is no way I could engage the
reverse gear without using the break. So how do I get my reverse
sensors to work even if I have my break on.

Please help

Koka

Why not take the cable off of the brake lamp and see what happens?

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello there,

I've installed a front(2) and rear(4) reverse sensors on my vehicle.
The front sensors are always on, the rear ones come on with the
reverse gear lamp power. one cable is connected to the break lamp
also.

The problem is if I engage the reverse gear the while the engine is
off and break off, the rear sensors work fine, If I engage the break
the rear sensors get cutoff. There is no way I could engage the
reverse gear without using the break. So how do I get my reverse
sensors to work even if I have my break on.

Please help

Koka

I presume that by 'break' you mean *brake*?

I presume that, to power the sensors, once wire needs to be connected to a
12 volt supply - for which the reversing lamp is fine, and is live whenever
you are reversing - and that the other wire needs to be connected to earth.
If you connect it to the brake light instead, it will earth through the
brake light filament, and the sensor will work. *However*, as soon as you
use the brakes, the brake light is fed with 12v - and you thus have 12v on
*both* sensor wires, so they don't then work.

Disconnect the wire from the brake light, and connect it to earth instead.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 15:15:20 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Disconnect the wire from the brake light, and connect it to earth instead.

I think that is spot on, a similar thing happen to me when I fitted
reversing sensors, with the exception they wouldn't work when
sidelights/headlights were on. Once I found the real earth connection
they worked just fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Disconnect the wire from the brake light, and connect it to earth instead.

;-) my thoughts exactly....

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 24, 8:45 pm, John Rumm wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
Disconnect the wire from the brake light, and connect it to earth instead.

;-) my thoughts exactly....

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks chaps let me try it and come back to you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 26, 2:43 am, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:54:32 -0700, wrote:
Thanks chaps let me try it and come back to you

Please do. I'd be fascinated if there really was a good reason why they
needed a connection to the brake lights. What do the instructions say?

Thanks chaps, it worked when I connected the wire to the earth.
Its fine now. A pal bought the kit for me from Malaysia without the
instructions.

Thanks once again.

Koka

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:54:32 -0700, wrote:

Thanks chaps let me try it and come back to you

Please do. I'd be fascinated if there really was a good reason why they
needed a connection to the brake lights. What do the instructions say?

The one's I got came with 6 sensors - 2 front and 4 rear. I'm going to fit
them this weekend but I'm not bothering with the front ones because, if I'm
reading the instructions correctly (you gotta love the translation - here's
a scan
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/sensor012.jpg) they (and so
presumably, the display) operate when braking, which is OK when pulling into
a parking space I suppose, but I don't fancy it every time I pull up behind
someone at the lights or in a queue, or when braking to go round a bend or
corner.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
The one's I got came with 6 sensors - 2 front and 4 rear. I'm going to
fit them this weekend but I'm not bothering with the front ones
because, if I'm reading the instructions correctly (you gotta love the
translation - here's a scan
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/sensor012.jpg) they (and so presumably,
the display) operate when braking, which is OK when pulling into a
parking space I suppose, but I don't fancy it every time I pull up
behind someone at the lights or in a queue, or when braking to go round
a bend or corner.

I wondered how the front ones were activated. I've had a DIY fitted rear
only set up for some time - you can tell as it cost well over 100 quid.

Brake operated sounds weird, though, unless you have an auto and use the
brake to let it creep forward. Speed sensing might be better.

Most aftermarket units seem to give you a graphic display of what sensor
is seeing an obstacle. I found this of little use and hid it out of sight
- just relying on the bleeper. The display might be of more use with front
sensors as well, though.

--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave wrote:
The one's I got came with 6 sensors - 2 front and 4 rear. I'm going to
fit them this weekend but I'm not bothering with the front ones
because, if I'm reading the instructions correctly (you gotta love the
translation - here's a scan
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/sensor012.jpg) they (and so presumably,
the display) operate when braking, which is OK when pulling into a
parking space I suppose, but I don't fancy it every time I pull up
behind someone at the lights or in a queue, or when braking to go round
a bend or corner.

I wondered how the front ones were activated. I've had a DIY fitted rear
only set up for some time - you can tell as it cost well over 100 quid.

Mine were just under 24 quid (http://tinyurl.com/3x4bey) from fleabay so I'm
not complaining by any means, but it wasn't the bargain I *thought* I was
getting.

I landed on a page where the auction had just *two* minutes to go and there
were no bids, just the starting price of 99 pence, so I didn't hang about
and hastily put in my bid. WOOHOO I thought, and won the auction for the
99p - and it was only afterwards that I realized that the postage was £22.99
)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:54:32 -0700, wrote:

Thanks chaps let me try it and come back to you

Please do. I'd be fascinated if there really was a good reason why
they needed a connection to the brake lights. What do the
instructions say?

The one's I got came with 6 sensors - 2 front and 4 rear. I'm going
to fit them this weekend but I'm not bothering with the front ones
because, if I'm reading the instructions correctly (you gotta love
the translation - here's a scan
http://www.prestoncwu.co.uk/dvd/sensor012.jpg) they (and so
presumably, the display) operate when braking, which is OK when
pulling into a parking space I suppose, but I don't fancy it every
time I pull up behind someone at the lights or in a queue, or when
braking to go round a bend or corner.
Dave

As far as I can see, it doesn't make any noise until the front sensors get
within about 0.8 meters of an obstacle, so that shouldn't be a problem
unless you're literally sitting on the bumper of the bloke in front. Even
the blue light doesn't come on until you're 1.5 metres away.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

[...]

DOH! Yes Roger, you're quite right - and I'm the one with the instructions.
How the hell did I miss that? ) I'll now fit the front ones as well
then. Cheers mate

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 26, 5:09 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...

In article ,
Dave wrote:
[...]

So, you should have refused to pay and informed Ebay. I know of at
least one auction that was pulled by Ebay because the seller was
trying to get around the minumum £50 reserve by setting the postage at
£20 (It wasn't mine and I wasn't the one who complained).

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 26, 5:09 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in

In article ,
Dave wrote:
[...]

I suppose I could have complained about the way that they've done it but I
don't really see that any harm's been done (in this case) because it seems
that around £25 is the average price for the set of sensors I got. If, on
the other hand, the postage had caught me out and meant that I had paid well
over the odds for what I got, then yes, a strong complaint would have been
made.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 27, 9:32 pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
On Sep 26, 5:09 pm, "Dave" wrote:
I landed on a page where the auction had just *two* minutes to go and there
were no bids, just the starting price of 99 pence, so I didn't hang about
and hastily put in my bid. WOOHOO I thought, and won the auction for the
99p - and it was only afterwards that I realized that the postage was £22.99

So, you should have refused to pay and informed Ebay. I know of at
least one auction that was pulled by Ebay because the seller was
trying to get around the minumum £50 reserve by setting the postage at
£20 (It wasn't mine and I wasn't the one who complained).

ISTM that the reason eBay took action in the case you quoted is because
it was an attempt to thwart eBay's policies.

I'm more inclined to believe it was because someone complained. Yes, a
lot of people do it but only a fraction get caught doing it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, wrote:
On Sep 26, 5:09 pm, "Dave" wrote:
I landed on a page where the auction had just *two* minutes to go
and there
were no bids, just the starting price of 99 pence, so I didn't hang about
and hastily put in my bid. WOOHOO I thought, and won the auction for the
99p - and it was only afterwards that I realized that the postage
was £22.99

So, you should have refused to pay and informed Ebay. I know of at
least one auction that was pulled by Ebay because the seller was
trying to get around the minumum £50 reserve by setting the postage at
£20 (It wasn't mine and I wasn't the one who complained).

ISTM that the reason eBay took action in the case you quoted is because
it was an attempt to thwart eBay's policies.

I'm more inclined to believe it was because someone complained. Yes, a
lot of people do it but only a fraction get caught doing it.

Possibly but "catching" people doing would be so laughably easy that
"catching" doesn't really describe it. Anyone at eBay could knock up a
program in a few minutes that would "catch" as many thousands of sellers
as they wanted. In lots of categories anyone can sort items by price
(lowest first) and find literally hundreds of offers for items at £0.01
and postage at several pounds.

Just the other week I bought a couple of mobile phone adapter leads for
£0.01 the pair, plus postage at £1.99, plus mandatory insurance (hah!)
at £0.50. I don't imagine that if I complained, any action would be
taken, though I suppose it's possible that eBay would pull the item,
with the obvious result that the seller would simply list it again.

--
Mike Barnes