Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anyone know optical sensors

Good hot afternoon.

102F with a heat index of 125F here in NJ today... Death Valley, eat your
grilled heart out...

I've got a customer who wants to drill longer pieces of lumber - 10' to 20'

He doesn't want to use TigerStop to automate the process because it is a bit
slow and/or the holes are in different places from log to log. He was
thinking of manually or automatically marking the logs with black paint to
show where the holes had to be drilled. Then a photo eye or something
similar would see the mark and trigger an alarm of some sort to the operator
that they are in the right location to start the automatic drill I'm selling
him.

Question... Anyone know of a product that would allow him to do something
like this? Any other ideas?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

SEE ANSWERS IN METAL WORKING NEWSGROUP

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
newsn6Ag.2744$sy2.1276@trndny01...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
newsn6Ag.2744$sy2.1276@trndny01...
Good hot afternoon.

102F with a heat index of 125F here in NJ today... Death Valley, eat your
grilled heart out...

Hot?

Sounds like you are well in to Fall in Houston.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Always try Radio Shack they have a small circuit engineering book and the
components enough to get you going..... It's simple enough in most home type
environments, but in a shop with dust and dirt you'd need a blower to keep
the lenses and the work piece clean and you'll also have variations on wood
color and knots of such. As for black paint, I'd go with a black or colored
sticker (it's consistent). You'd have to shield it somewhat from ambient
light too. You could consider a barcode reader system that not only triggers
the alarm but will also identify the work order/owner/piece and could be
incorporated in your billing.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"199.45.49.11" wrote in message
Always try Radio Shack they have a small circuit engineering book and the
components enough to get you going..... It's simple enough in most home
type environments, but in a shop with dust and dirt you'd need a blower to
keep the lenses and the work piece clean and you'll also have variations
on wood color and knots of such. As for black paint, I'd go with a black
or colored sticker (it's consistent). You'd have to shield it somewhat
from ambient light too. You could consider a barcode reader system that
not only triggers the alarm but will also identify the work
order/owner/piece and could be incorporated in your billing.

RADIO SHACK!!!!!!!!!!

Are you retarded? Must be, ya poor thing! Got nothing better to do then
drool and type **** huh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Contact a Banner representative, they are one of the better photo-eye
companies. Their diffuse sensor p-eye has an automatic teach button
built into the eye so you can teach the areas you want to sense and the
areas you don't.

http://www.baneng.com/

Plenty of ready-to-use automation technology out there but this will
get you the results you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Posted to rec.woodworking

The Leon entity posted thusly:

"199.45.49.11" wrote in message
Always try Radio Shack they have a small circuit engineering book and the
components enough to get you going..... It's simple enough in most home
type environments, but in a shop with dust and dirt you'd need a blower to
keep the lenses and the work piece clean and you'll also have variations
on wood color and knots of such. As for black paint, I'd go with a black
or colored sticker (it's consistent). You'd have to shield it somewhat
from ambient light too. You could consider a barcode reader system that
not only triggers the alarm but will also identify the work
order/owner/piece and could be incorporated in your billing.

RADIO SHACK!!!!!!!!!!

Are you retarded? Must be, ya poor thing! Got nothing better to do then
drool and type **** huh?

Radio Shack. You have questions? We have blank stares.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"199.45.49.11" wrote in message
Always try Radio Shack they have a small circuit engineering book and
the
components enough to get you going..... It's simple enough in most home
type environments, but in a shop with dust and dirt you'd need a blower
keep the lenses and the work piece clean and you'll also have variations
on wood color and knots of such. As for black paint, I'd go with a black
or colored sticker (it's consistent). You'd have to shield it somewhat
from ambient light too. You could consider a barcode reader system that
not only triggers the alarm but will also identify the work
order/owner/piece and could be incorporated in your billing.

RADIO SHACK!!!!!!!!!!

Are you retarded? Must be, ya poor thing! Got nothing better to do then
drool and type **** huh?

Radio Shack. You have questions? We have blank stares.

They have OK solder and that is about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill (in on6Ag.2744$sy2.1276@trndny01) said:

| I've got a customer who wants to drill longer pieces of lumber -
| 10' to 20'
|
| He doesn't want to use TigerStop to automate the process because it
| is a bit slow and/or the holes are in different places from log to
| log. He was thinking of manually or automatically marking the logs
| with black paint to show where the holes had to be drilled. Then a
| photo eye or something similar would see the mark and trigger an
| alarm of some sort to the operator that they are in the right
| location to start the automatic drill I'm selling him.
|
| Question... Anyone know of a product that would allow him to do
| something like this? Any other ideas?

First you said lumber, then you said log - which is it?

If the material is marked automagically, then the equipment should
already know where the holes are supposed to be! Possibly you/your
customer are trying to solve the wrong problem...

If it's a log, does it need to be rotated before drilling, or are all
the holes located along a single line?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

First you said lumber, then you said log - which is it?

Lumber in the form of logs... Maybe. I'm taking an educated guyess based
on what I've been told. From what I understand, they are logs for a log
home with flats cut on both sides to make them lay like lumber with a rod or
some sort of holding stud between them. Not 100% sure.

If the material is marked automagically, then the equipment should
already know where the holes are supposed to be! Possibly you/your
customer are trying to solve the wrong problem...

Manual measuring and marking application. Nothing automatic on this job
except my drills and I think the saw.

If it's a log, does it need to be rotated before drilling, or are all
the holes located along a single line?

No rotation. All holes on same plane.

Big job - more like construction than actual woodworking alone.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill (in 6gJAg.981$Pp1.805@trndny04) said:

|| First you said lumber, then you said log - which is it?
|
| Lumber in the form of logs... Maybe. I'm taking an educated
| guyess based on what I've been told. From what I understand, they
| are logs for a log home with flats cut on both sides to make them
| lay like lumber with a rod or some sort of holding stud between
| them. Not 100% sure.
|
|| If the material is marked automagically, then the equipment should
|| already know where the holes are supposed to be! Possibly you/your
|| customer are trying to solve the wrong problem...
|
| Manual measuring and marking application. Nothing automatic on
| this job except my drills and I think the saw.
|
|| If it's a log, does it need to be rotated before drilling, or are
|| all the holes located along a single line?
|
| No rotation. All holes on same plane.
|
| Big job - more like construction than actual woodworking alone.

Gotcha - but I think the difference is only of scale. The earlier
Radio Shack suggestion is good if you're (even minimally)
electronically literate. If not, you're invited to e-mail me directly
to discuss specs, schedule, and budget. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

not many places where you can still buy leds and components to build
"electronic" things you see, you ignorant ****.

you still get glued to your hand jerking yourself all the time!

"Leon" wrote in message

"199.45.49.11" wrote in message
Always try Radio Shack they have a small circuit engineering book and the
components enough to get you going..... It's simple enough in most home
type environments, but in a shop with dust and dirt you'd need a blower
to keep the lenses and the work piece clean and you'll also have
variations on wood color and knots of such. As for black paint, I'd go
with a black or colored sticker (it's consistent). You'd have to shield
it somewhat from ambient light too. You could consider a barcode reader
system that not only triggers the alarm but will also identify the work
order/owner/piece and could be incorporated in your billing.

RADIO SHACK!!!!!!!!!!

Are you retarded? Must be, ya poor thing! Got nothing better to do then
drool and type **** huh?

Posted to rec.woodworking

yeah that's why your so feeble minded, you've been eating the solder and
lead based paint chips!

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"199.45.49.11" wrote in message
[...]

Polutants and Polymer sensors Dave M. Electronics Repair 0 June 27th 06 05:38 AM
Optical focus [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 May 18th 06 06:49 PM
Machine Sensors? Dave Metalworking 8 August 30th 05 04:53 PM
JVC HR-J235EK end sensors rusking Electronics Repair 2 October 29th 04 08:56 AM
Burgular alarm - Gardiner Technology Shockguard Sensors Kevin Davies UK diy 5 November 11th 03 11:54 PM