Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Anyone know optical sensors

Joe AutoDrill (in on6Ag.2744$sy2.1276@trndny01) said:

| I've got a customer who wants to drill longer pieces of lumber -
| 10' to 20'
|
| He doesn't want to use TigerStop to automate the process because it
| is a bit slow and/or the holes are in different places from log to
| log. He was thinking of manually or automatically marking the logs
| with black paint to show where the holes had to be drilled. Then a
| photo eye or something similar would see the mark and trigger an
| alarm of some sort to the operator that they are in the right
| location to start the automatic drill I'm selling him.
|
| Question... Anyone know of a product that would allow him to do
| something like this? Any other ideas?

First you said lumber, then you said log - which is it?

If the material is marked automagically, then the equipment should
already know where the holes are supposed to be! Possibly you/your
customer are trying to solve the wrong problem...

If it's a log, does it need to be rotated before drilling, or are all
the holes located along a single line?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar