Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Help identifying dead electro. cap polarity?

This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

http://i37.tinypic.com/10psxg3.jpg

It has no polarity markings. One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

Markings on the side a

B41111-B7108-T
1000uF 40V-
GERMANY
GPF DIN 41332 06.78

I find a few references to a Siemens part that is similar:

http://www.screenghost.com/shop/show.asp?ID=74#

but no datasheet can I find. Can someone more resourceful than I find one?

I cut open one of these caps. It is paper & foil (or so it seems) spiral wrap
construction. Can polarity be determined by internal construction? Is the
center terminal always one pole (ie, always +)?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Sparky"

** Bull****.

One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

** Yep.

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are
empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

** Are you totally blind ????

The usual cause applies ?????

FYI:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is not the negative sign *right next* to the pin linked to the case ?????

..... Phil

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign

To me they look like "1" (not a "-"), "2", "3", and a really weird "4".

Is not the negative sign *right next* to the pin linked to the case

But with your help along with the one pin (yes, it's the (-) one) in common
with the case pretty much confirms polarity.

Thanks!

Nighty-night! Lights out!

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Sparky"

This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

http://i37.tinypic.com/10psxg3.jpg

It has no polarity markings.

** Bull****.

One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

** Yep.

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are
empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

** Are you totally blind ????

The usual cause applies ?????

FYI:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4
with a bit missing, and you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a normal order. So the
situation is far from clear enough to form a basis for installing a
replacement.

Sylvia.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"notme"

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign

To me they look like "1" (not a "-"), "2", "3", and a really weird "4".

** Nonsense.

The stroke on the " 1" has been made longer to avoid confusion with the
" - " sign.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

"Stupider than Anyone Else on Earth "

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

** Are you totally blind ????

The usual cause applies ?????

FYI:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

** Same order as an 3 pin XLR.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4
with a bit missing, and you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a normal order.

** Shame about that " bit missing" - eh ??

You stupid, grossly autistic bitch.

**** off.

..... Phil

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are
empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

Markings on the side a

B41111-B7108-T
1000uF 40V-
GERMANY
GPF DIN 41332 06.78

I find a few references to a Siemens part that is similar:

http://www.screenghost.com/shop/show.asp?ID=74#

but no datasheet can I find. Can someone more resourceful than I find one?

I cut open one of these caps. It is paper & foil (or so it seems) spiral
wrap
construction. Can polarity be determined by internal construction? Is the
center terminal always one pole (ie, always +)?

Thanks.

AFAIK Germans always write a ONE with a tag ( opposite 2) and a 7 with a tag
through it that makes it look like a lower case t.
So I suggest the - really is MINUS.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

TTman Inscribed thus:

[...]

I agree ! That is how I read it.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On 12 Nov, 08:41, Sparky wrote:
This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

http://i37.tinypic.com/10psxg3.jpg

It has no polarity markings. One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

Almost always, but ISTR reading warnings that occasionally you come
across one made for use with a negative supply rail, when the can will
be positive, so you're right to make sure.

However, in this instance I agree with other posters that the markings
indicate that the can is negative.

Chris
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:41:36 -0800, Sparky wrote:

This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

http://i37.tinypic.com/10psxg3.jpg

It has no polarity markings. One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

Me, I'd guess the terminal marked with the '-' is negative, but that's
just my warped thinking.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 12, 3:10*am, notme wrote:
The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign

To me they look like "1" (not a "-"), "2", "3", and a really weird "4".

Is not the negative sign *right next* to the pin linked to the case

But with your help along with the one pin (yes, it's the (-) one) in common
with the case pretty much confirms polarity.

Thanks!

Nighty-night! Lights out!

Ahh but it's german. They make the 1 with that little hat. And then
when they make a 7 they always add a cross through the middle... so as
not to confuse it with the one.

George H.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:33:07 +1100, Phil Allison wrote:

"Stupider than Anyone Else on Earth "

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

** Are you totally blind ????

The usual cause applies ?????

FYI:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

** Same order as an 3 pin XLR.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4
with a bit missing, and you have 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a normal order.

** Shame about that " bit missing" - eh ??

You stupid, grossly autistic bitch.

**** off.

.... Phil

Take your meds.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:17:43 +1100, Sylvia Else wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4
with a bit missing,

This is how right-pondians write the numeral "1". They also cross their
"7"s. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4
with a bit missing,

This is how right-pondians write the numeral "1". They also cross their
"7"s. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Wrong. Rigt of the English Channel, not of the pond.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Phil Allison wrote:
The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are they? Their order is a bit strange if so.

On the other hand, take the - to be a 1, and the other symbol to be a 4
with a bit missing,

This is how right-pondians write the numeral "1". They also cross their
"7"s. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Wrong. Rigt of the English Channel, not of the pond.

North Sea in fact

Ron

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Sparky schrieb:

This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

http://i37.tinypic.com/10psxg3.jpg

It has no polarity markings. One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

Markings on the side a

B41111-B7108-T
1000uF 40V-
GERMANY
GPF DIN 41332 06.78

I find a few references to a Siemens part that is similar:

http://www.screenghost.com/shop/show.asp?ID=74#

but no datasheet can I find. Can someone more resourceful than I find one?

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/12b4-4t-jpg.html

HTH

Reinhard (native German ;-) )
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

THIS IS PURE TROLL BAIT

I AM PROTEUS
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 12, 2:41*am, Sparky wrote:
[...]

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS

I AM PROTEUS
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Sparky wrote:
[...]

How is it wired in the circuit? When in doubt, this is what I look at.
You can also substitute it with an AC rated cap and just measure the
voltage across it to find out which way around it should be.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"Sparky"

This cap was removed from a 70's-80's German industrial machine:

http://i37.tinypic.com/10psxg3.jpg

It has no polarity markings.

** Bull****.

One terminal is common with the metal case. Is
this always an indication of the (-) terminal?

** Yep.

The base has molded terminal locations numbered 1-4, two of which are
empty:

http://i36.tinypic.com/e6x542.jpg

** Are you totally blind ????

The usual cause applies ?????

FYI:

The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign
!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is not the negative sign *right next* to the pin linked to the case ?????

.... Phil

For modern capacitors, yes, *BUT* there were some chassis-mounted
caps with POSITIVE (outside) cans/cases.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

In message
,
George Herold writes
On Nov 12, 3:10*am, notme wrote:
The markings are clearly 1, 2 and 3 with the fourth a NEGATIVE sign

To me they look like "1" (not a "-"), "2", "3", and a really weird "4".

Is not the negative sign *right next* to the pin linked to the case

But with your help along with the one pin (yes, it's the (-) one) in common
with the case pretty much confirms polarity.

Thanks!

Nighty-night! Lights out!

Ahh but it's german. They make the 1 with that little hat.

And then
when they make a 7 they always add a cross through the middle... so as
not to confuse it with the one.

The Germans (and those in many other Continental European countries)
certainly do that when WRITING the number 7. However, I can't recall
ever seeing it on a PRINTED 7. This is (of course) because they start
writing a 1 (one) with a long slanted up-stroke, followed by a vertical
down-stroke. As such, it's not unlike an 'artistically' written 7. The
addition of a horizontal stroke through the vertical down-stroke of the
7 prevents it from being confused with a 1. With a printed 7, the top
stroke is definitely horizontal, and there is no confusion.

Most non-Europeans write a 1 (one) as a single vertical down-stroke, so
there is no possibility of confusion between a 1 and a 7. However, if
you decide to embellish a 1 with the short slanted up-stroke at the top
and the foot at the bottom, you have to be careful that it cannot be
confused with a 2.
--
Ian

Failed electro Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 15 August 15th 08 01:39 PM
Repair Electro Industries 3002A PSU after reverse polarity [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 February 26th 08 07:08 PM
An electro-political rant [email protected] Electronics Repair 12 July 27th 07 09:06 PM
Electro engraver? Gunner Metalworking 10 April 26th 06 05:24 AM
electro part MP\(W\) Electronics Repair 1 April 12th 05 05:09 PM