Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Electro engraver?

Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

If its rough..I can probably fix it up.

Swap or trade for Stuff, or small money prefered.

Im on a kick to mark all my tooling...much of which is already
engraved/etched with the numberous past owners names or initials G

Ive tried the chemical etch/stamp with stencil thingy..but its too big
for must stuff.

Or a set of plans for something buildable out of Stuff?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus21673

I have a set like that also, it has a tungsten pencil and can etch
steel. It works, but the pencil sticks to work pieces from tiem to
time.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

http://www.vintageprojects.com/general-workshop/etching-pen-plans.html
http://www.charlesedisonfund.org/Experiments/Edison-pdf/edison_ch6.pdf

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

I got one.
You can't have it.
But you can borrow it.
It's not all that big, like a really small mig, proly not even as heavy.

Yeah, it's old, sorta rough, but it works. Cloth insulation on the electrode
wire! Used it once, not super-impressed. Tip proly needs sharpening.

But I suspect one would be pretty easy to kluge. Mebbe it's just a
choked-down welder or battery charger, or a welder on a variac!
How 'bout tig on a variac??

What about a Dremel w/ a diamond tip? Harbor Freight is practically giving
their 1/8" diamond points away.

Inyway, email me iffin yer innerested.
Man, do I hate goddamm UPS.....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Gunner" wrote in message
Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

If its rough..I can probably fix it up.

Swap or trade for Stuff, or small money prefered.

Im on a kick to mark all my tooling...much of which is already
engraved/etched with the numberous past owners names or initials G

Ive tried the chemical etch/stamp with stencil thingy..but its too big
for must stuff.

Or a set of plans for something buildable out of Stuff?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:52:36 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

If its rough..I can probably fix it up.

Swap or trade for Stuff, or small money prefered.

Im on a kick to mark all my tooling...much of which is already
engraved/etched with the numberous past owners names or initials G

Ive tried the chemical etch/stamp with stencil thingy..but its too big
for must stuff.

Or a set of plans for something buildable out of Stuff?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

See this link:
http://www.charlesedisonfund.org/exp...-Expt1/p1.html
ERS

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

J. Clarke wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

If its rough..I can probably fix it up.

Swap or trade for Stuff, or small money prefered.

Im on a kick to mark all my tooling...much of which is already
engraved/etched with the numberous past owners names or initials G

Ive tried the chemical etch/stamp with stencil thingy..but its too big
for must stuff.

Or a set of plans for something buildable out of Stuff?

http://www.vintageprojects.com/general-workshop/etching-pen-plans.html
http://www.charlesedisonfund.org/Experiments/Edison-pdf/edison_ch6.pdf

Those are some neat looking plans. Has anyone built an electric pencil?
One set of plans mentions that the pencil only works on "soft" metals. I
wonder if it works on steel?

Chris

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

wrote:

Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

If its rough..I can probably fix it up.

Swap or trade for Stuff, or small money prefered.

Im on a kick to mark all my tooling...much of which is already
engraved/etched with the numberous past owners names or initials G

Ive tried the chemical etch/stamp with stencil thingy..but its too big
for must stuff.

I always rigged one up with a sharpened carbon from a flashlight
battery, a set of jumper leads and a car battery. Works fine and the
price is right.

Or a set of plans for something buildable out of Stuff?

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism.
As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural
patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief
in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

See this link:
http://www.charlesedisonfund.org/exp...-Expt1/p1.html
ERS

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H. Lucas

"Gunner" wrote in message
Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

Gunner, I had one, but don't recall where it wound up. It came from
McMaster Carr when my brother's father in law had a surplus business with
McMaster stuff. However years ago my dad bought a couple of ARO air etchers
at an auction. The carbide tip vibrates up and down, just like the electric
ones do. But these things WORK really well! We marked all the tools at
Lucas Electric with them. That was a really big job, we loved tools, and we
had lots and lots of them!

Gary H. Lucas

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Weyland

Gunner wrote:
Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

Have one that I'm not intrested in selling,
but *AM* intrested in getting working again.
Doesn't have the carbide tip.

I tried placing a small gage pin in it, but it didn't work so well...

Wonder if MSC has carbide pins...?

Best,

Weyland

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary H. Lucas

"Weyland" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gunner wrote:
Anyone got one of those old electro engravers that use a transformer
box, a metal sheet or alligator clip and a pen like device to use a
small arc to etch tooling and stuff?

Have one that I'm not intrested in selling,
but *AM* intrested in getting working again.
Doesn't have the carbide tip.

I tried placing a small gage pin in it, but it didn't work so well...

Wonder if MSC has carbide pins...?

Best,

Weyland

McMaster Carr has them.

Gary H. Lucas

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

I used to use the chemical etch marker for pretty small gage parts.
You can probably miniaturize your setup.