Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV output going yellow

Our older projection television is looking visibly yellow. Sometimes it
fixes itself and then returns to yellow.

Is this a gun problem or a chip on the motherboard that's easily fixed?
It's an older Magnavox 52". I'm retired and really can't afford a new tv.

Thanks.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
Our older projection television is looking visibly yellow. Sometimes it
fixes itself and then returns to yellow.

Is this a gun problem or a chip on the motherboard that's easily fixed?
It's an older Magnavox 52". I'm retired and really can't afford a new tv.

Thanks.

Always same shade of yellow ?, jumps from good/bad/good or drifts between
states ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sep 16, 8:06*pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 01:11:55 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
Our older projection television is looking visibly yellow. Sometimes it
fixes itself and then returns to yellow.

yellow is red plus green. *Blue is weak or cutting out.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color

Yep, this is right. Look inside the projector unit: is this a three-
CRT type,
with a red, green, blue trio of tubes? The solder joints at/near the
connectors to the base (the narrow end of the neck) of the blue tube,
and at any power driver transistors on the associated circuit board,
are
the most likely culprits. Second thing to check is adjustment pots
(if one is dirty, moving it a little back and forth will clear up the
problem).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
Our older projection television is looking visibly yellow. Sometimes it
fixes itself and then returns to yellow.

Is this a gun problem or a chip on the motherboard that's easily fixed?
It's an older Magnavox 52". I'm retired and really can't afford a new tv.

Thanks.

If the TV is "fixing" itself, and the problem comes and goes, I'd say you
have a bad solder joint,
or connector, or dirty internal control. This will require the services of
a repair shop to track it down, but it is fixable. On the other hand, a new
LCD TV wont cost much more than the
repair, and the hassle of getting it to the shop and back home.
And since the TV is 18 years old, if you get it fixed after hauling it to
the shop and back home, whats going to fail next? And the bill for the
current fault will be considerable.
If it were me, (and it was a year ago..failing TV, low income, elderly), I
applied for and got a Wal-Mart credit card with an $800 limits. On the day
after Thanksgiving (Black Friday), I bought a 42" LCD TV from wallyworld,
$700.00, no interest if paid off within 18 months. I'm making payments (its
almost paid off within a year) and enjoying my new HD TV.
42" LCD HDTVs are even cheaper now, almost a year later.

Your TV is repairable, but get some estimates, and explore ALL your options.
If you choose the repair option, set spending limits before any work is
done.

Deke

Yellow thingy clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada Metalworking 0 March 24th 08 08:40 PM
yellow pages or yellow book dwolf Woodworking 0 September 4th 07 04:02 PM
Yellow Jackets M Q Home Repair 7 July 30th 07 10:53 AM
Yellow Jackets ?????? Stephen Home Repair 13 October 9th 04 06:06 PM