Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD Monitor Backlight

My monitor is an LG L1932TQ-BF. as I was reading the screen the brightness
flickered and the screen went dark. If I power down and then back up, I get
a very brief well lit screen with "normal" text showing. It lasts less than
a second. The power light comes on normally and changes color when a video
signal is there.

I have not had the need to get into the guts of an LCD monitor.

What sort of precautions are to be observed when replacing the light(s)?

I have fixed almost everything else electronic in the past. I have done CRT
TVs, PC's, Microwaves etc. What I need is a road map before I open it up.
Are there any good sites with directions and are there any preferred
suppliers of replacements.

I know I could just Google this but it is always better to get advice from
someone with hands on experience.

I could run out and get a new monitor, but as a retiree I have more time
than money.

Charlie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Charlie" wrote in message
[...]

Good source of parts and cross references here

http://www.lcdparts.net/CCFL1.aspx

and some "how to" stuff here

http://www.lcdparts.net/howto/default.aspx

Good luck with it

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Charlie wrote:
[...]

While I'm no expert on monitor repairs, from what I've read the problem
is more likely to be with the lamp power supply rather than the lamp(s)
themselves. They are often some sort of switch mode supply on a small,
separate board that the lamps connect to. If you are lucky, you'll have
bad capacitors, if less lucks, a bad coil or transformer.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:
[...]

Yep, a valid point. Even so, if that proves to be the case, and it's not
something readily fixable, the same parts site that I gave the links for,
can supply replacement inverter boards to suit most monitors.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LCD Monitor Backlight ---GOOD NEWS

"Charlie" wrote in message
My monitor is an LG L1932TQ-BF. as I was reading the screen the brightness
flickered and the screen went dark. If I power down and then back up, I
get a very brief well lit screen with "normal" text showing. It lasts less
than a second. The power light comes on normally and changes color when a
video signal is there.

First of all, thanks for the responses. As I started getting educated I
realized that the inverter could likely be the culprit.
While the tubes aren't too bad the inverters turn out to be a relatively
expensive item. Then there is the problem of diagnosing which part had
really failed.

Secondly, I started pulling out the paperwork from with receipts, warranty
information etc.

The GOOD NEWS.

The backlight warranty is 3 years and does not expire until 12 days from
now. A replacement, albeit refurbished monitor, will be shipped to me as
swap with the bad unit. How's that for cutting it close? The more likely
scenario is that the warranty ended last week.

Thanks again.

Charlie