Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default LCD Monitor Backlight

"Tim Schwartz" wrote in message
Charlie wrote:
My monitor is an LG L1932TQ-BF. as I was reading the screen the
brightness flickered and the screen went dark. If I power down and then
back up, I get a very brief well lit screen with "normal" text showing.
It lasts less than a second. The power light comes on normally and
changes color when a video signal is there.

I have not had the need to get into the guts of an LCD monitor.

What sort of precautions are to be observed when replacing the light(s)?

I have fixed almost everything else electronic in the past. I have done
CRT TVs, PC's, Microwaves etc. What I need is a road map before I open it
up. Are there any good sites with directions and are there any preferred
suppliers of replacements.

I know I could just Google this but it is always better to get advice
from someone with hands on experience.

I could run out and get a new monitor, but as a retiree I have more time
than money.

Charlie

Charlie,

While I'm no expert on monitor repairs, from what I've read the problem is
more likely to be with the lamp power supply rather than the lamp(s)
themselves. They are often some sort of switch mode supply on a small,
separate board that the lamps connect to. If you are lucky, you'll have
bad capacitors, if less lucks, a bad coil or transformer.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

Yep, a valid point. Even so, if that proves to be the case, and it's not
something readily fixable, the same parts site that I gave the links for,
can supply replacement inverter boards to suit most monitors.

Arfa