Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Default OT Metric System

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about

it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

So What! We just use BOTH anyway!
If we cared so much about what Europeans thought, we might have sympathized
with the Nazis TOO!

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 14:58:19 -0400, Frank Galikanokus
wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

RickH wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

Yep, my "American made truck" is all metric. Except for the lug nuts!

....and almost certainly the seat belt mounts.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

In article ,
Eeyore wrote:
The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Copper tube equivalents to 1, 3/4 and 1/2in are 28, 22 and 15mm. And are
compatible from any maker. Plastic tends to vary outside diameter wise so
tend to need fittings from the same maker.

--
*A day without sunshine is like... night.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say about
it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

So What! We just use BOTH anyway!
If we cared so much about what Europeans thought, we might have sympathized
with the Nazis TOO!

The metric system's not 'European', it's WORLDWIDE, except for a slab of N
America and 2 backward states in Africa and Asia.

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Copper tube equivalents to 1, 3/4 and 1/2in are 28, 22 and 15mm.

Oops, got them wrong. Isn't it o/d vs i/d ?

Graham

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

harry k wrote:

And the longer the conversion is put off, the more problems such as
that there will be. We should have done it back when it was tried. It
was the troglodytes that short stopped it.

No. "If you wait until the last minute, then the project will only take a
minute."

If we delay metrication until all the manufacturing jobs move to Bangladesh,
then we'll have that much fewer machines and such to convert.

Think of the savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

RickH writes:

On Apr 28, 8:32*pm, Eeyore
wrote:
RickH wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

And used by 96% of the world's population.

Shhhh, dont let Obama know that, or we'll have to retool all our
factories. *He's got this fixation with making us more like Europe and
all.

You probably use metric already more than you realise.

Graham

The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

Pipe fittings are the same old 1/2", 3/4", 1", but they are called
R15, R20, R25 in the metric world.

CU pipes have real metric sizes though, 12mm, 15mm, 22mm etc, and
thesee are the actual outer diameter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Eeyore writes:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
The water pipe and electrical conduit in my house is 1 inch, 1/2 inch,
3/4 inch. I think any transition will still require stores to stock
fittings in both metric and inch for generations to come.

It was like that here too. Now we have 25, 19 and 12 mm. They seem to be
compatible.

Copper tube equivalents to 1, 3/4 and 1/2in are 28, 22 and 15mm.

Oops, got them wrong. Isn't it o/d vs i/d ?

Graham

CU pipes are o/d, steel pipes are i/d.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

On Apr 30, 5:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
harry k wrote:

And the longer the conversion is put off, the more problems such as
that there will be. *We should have done it back when it was tried. It
was the troglodytes that short stopped it.

No. "If you wait until the last minute, then the project will only take a
minute."

If we delay metrication until all the manufacturing jobs move to Bangladesh,
then we'll have that much fewer machines and such to convert.

Think of the savings.

Good point!! In addition the switchover will be almost painless as
noone will be able to function unless they do use metric. Everything
on the market will be metric sized.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,alt.sports.baseball.sd-padres

Roger Blake wrote:
The metric system sucks ass. We don't want it, and furthermore we

don't
give a rat's ass what bunch of effete Eurotrash may have to say

about
it.

You must have your head well buried if you think you can ignore 'the
metric system'. Whether you want it or not it's here.

So What! We just use BOTH anyway!
If we cared so much about what Europeans thought, we might have

sympathized
with the Nazis TOO!

The metric system's not 'European', it's WORLDWIDE, except for a slab of

America and 2 backward states in Africa and Asia.

Graham

What slab of N. America? WE USE METRIC AND A VARIETY OF OTHER MEASURING
UNITS! WE HAVE TO CONVERT ALL THE TIME IN OUR HEADS WHEN WE SHOP! PITA
burden for sending out money all over the World for cheap crap!
I got news for you... BINARY is WORLDWIDE!

OT Metric System Terry Home Repair 177 April 30th 09 07:09 PM
Metric tap set El Cazador Metalworking 4 August 9th 07 05:41 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 7 August 17th 06 03:18 AM
Looking for good combination square with Metric system support [email protected] Woodworking 0 August 13th 06 01:59 PM
Damn Metric System david lang UK diy 6 August 29th 05 09:23 PM