Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
tg tg is offline

Default spare parts for sony processor

I've got a sony hr-mp5 audio effects processor, the display has the
usual problem in that it's gone dim and it's hard to read the letters.
Does anyone know a good place to get a new display for the mp5 and at a
reasonable price? Sony themselves weren't much help, thay referred me to
a company asking just under £200 for a replacement display which is
outrageous. There must be a a supplier who can do it cheaper. I'm in the
UK, thanks for any advice.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"tg" wrote in
:

I've got a sony hr-mp5 audio effects processor, the display has the
usual problem in that it's gone dim and it's hard to read the letters.
Does anyone know a good place to get a new display for the mp5 and at a
reasonable price? Sony themselves weren't much help, thay referred me to
a company asking just under £200 for a replacement display which is
outrageous. There must be a a supplier who can do it cheaper. I'm in the
UK, thanks for any advice.

You'll have to open it up, very carefully avoiding hazards like fragile
wiring, and you might have to note several awkward screw placements and keep
a lot of loose parts safe. Sony (like Technics and a few other firms' gear)
is not easy to get inside because they use unusual schemes to make things
compact. Then you'll have to identify the display manel exactly by whatever
is printed on its board, and remove it, AFTER establishing exactly what you
can get to replace it. Sometimes you can get more than just the raw display,
you might find a source of a complete module of some kind, you won't know
till you look at it and start hunting.

By the time you've done all this, you might start to wonder if that £200
wasn't too steep. It is steep, but the profit margin isn't as extreme as you
might think.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
tg tg is offline

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
"tg" wrote in
:

I wasn't asking for advice on how to dismantle it, I've already opened
the unit and dismantled it down to the light panel. That was easy. It's
a SUPPLIER of a light panel that I was hoping to get advice on. There is
no way in this world a new panel would cost nearly £200, it's a thin
piece of plastic with a couple of terminals on one side.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

tg wrote:
There is
no way in this world a new panel would cost nearly £200, it's a thin
piece of plastic with a couple of terminals on one side.

electroluminescent backlight?

You can get the sheet material from a few places, or maybe the inverter
is kaput.

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Manufacturers think that their parts departments ought to be profit centers
and charge outrageous prices. (I'll tell you a story about this another
time.)

I came in late on this, but if the display is an LCD, and can be unscrewed
from the board, you might find that removing it and cleaning the board
contacts restores the display.

If not, sorry not to be more helpful.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"tg" wrote in
:

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
"tg" wrote in
:

I wasn't asking for advice on how to dismantle it, I've already opened
the unit and dismantled it down to the light panel. That was easy. It's
a SUPPLIER of a light panel that I was hoping to get advice on. There is
no way in this world a new panel would cost nearly £200, it's a thin
piece of plastic with a couple of terminals on one side.

If you look at your first post you'll see there's no way I or anyone could
tell that you weren't a guy with no experience who'd not gone deeper than
looking at the front and seeing a dim display.. You need to give all the info
you can if you want the right answer.

But as AdrianC says since your new post, sounds like an EL backlight strip,
and I agree, those are cheap. You can even cut them to shape if you find a
bigger one with terminals that are a close enough fit for current layout. (I
think making your own terminals is doable, but more akward, and I don't know
how.)

You could follow this lead:
http://www.pjrc.com/store/tman_lcd.html
It's for an MP3 player project, a guy was makign LCD backlights for some
cheap panels they got, cutting them from large sheet, fitting them, selling
them... He'll definitely know what you need to know.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

Manufacturers think that their parts departments ought to be profit centers
and charge outrageous prices. (I'll tell you a story about this another
time.)

True, often. Though to their credit, Yamaha suprised me in being able to sell
parts for some of their stuff for the same kinds of low costs as distributors
like Arrow or CPC. They're pretty cool if we want to fix stuff ourselves. I
did find cheaper for one 240x64 char display, but only on eBay, and I only
looked because Yamaha had sold out of theirs..
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

Lostgallifreyan wrote:

You could follow this lead:
http://www.pjrc.com/store/tman_lcd.html
It's for an MP3 player project

Heh, I built one of those! Great sound quality!

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
tg tg is offline

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
"tg" wrote in
:

You could follow this lead:
http://www.pjrc.com/store/tman_lcd.html

thanks for that lead but it says:
'These Techknowman LCDs are out of stock. We do not have a date when
more will be available.'
also, the Techknowman link on the page is dead.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
tg tg is offline

"Adrian C" wrote in message
tg wrote:

You can get the sheet material from a few places

snip

and those places would be?...

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

tg wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message
tg wrote:

You can get the sheet material from a few places

snip

and those places would be?...

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...inescent+sheet

:-p

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

"tg" wrote in
:

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
"tg" wrote in
:

You could follow this lead:
http://www.pjrc.com/store/tman_lcd.html

thanks for that lead but it says:
'These Techknowman LCDs are out of stock. We do not have a date when
more will be available.'
also, the Techknowman link on the page is dead.

I have no idea, I just pointed you to the last place I knew of. It's your
quest... Got to be someone there you can send a mail too, asking after info
on cutting and terminating EL sheet.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
tg tg is offline

"Adrian C" wrote in message
tg wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message
tg wrote:

You can get the sheet material from a few places

snip

and those places would be?...

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=...inescent+sheet

I've already done the google on that, I thought you knew of some places
but my mistake...

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair

tg wrote:

I've already done the google on that, I thought you knew of some places
but my mistake...

Well, I've no idea how big your square of EL material is :-(

In these forums, hand out more information and folks helping can be more
specific. :-)

Have a look at Rapid Electronics, CPC, Farnell, eBay...

Or here

http://www.mutr.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=770

--
Adrian C
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
tg tg is offline

"Adrian C" wrote in message
tg wrote:

I finally found that midi-rakete does them and I ordered one today.