Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default spare parts for sony processor

"tg" wrote in
:

"Lostgallifreyan" wrote in message
. ..
"tg" wrote in
:

I wasn't asking for advice on how to dismantle it, I've already opened
the unit and dismantled it down to the light panel. That was easy. It's
a SUPPLIER of a light panel that I was hoping to get advice on. There is
no way in this world a new panel would cost nearly £200, it's a thin
piece of plastic with a couple of terminals on one side.

If you look at your first post you'll see there's no way I or anyone could
tell that you weren't a guy with no experience who'd not gone deeper than
looking at the front and seeing a dim display.. You need to give all the info
you can if you want the right answer.

But as AdrianC says since your new post, sounds like an EL backlight strip,
and I agree, those are cheap. You can even cut them to shape if you find a
bigger one with terminals that are a close enough fit for current layout. (I
think making your own terminals is doable, but more akward, and I don't know
how.)

You could follow this lead:
http://www.pjrc.com/store/tman_lcd.html
It's for an MP3 player project, a guy was makign LCD backlights for some
cheap panels they got, cutting them from large sheet, fitting them, selling
them... He'll definitely know what you need to know.