Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default spare parts for sony processor

"tg" wrote in
:

I've got a sony hr-mp5 audio effects processor, the display has the
usual problem in that it's gone dim and it's hard to read the letters.
Does anyone know a good place to get a new display for the mp5 and at a
reasonable price? Sony themselves weren't much help, thay referred me to
a company asking just under £200 for a replacement display which is
outrageous. There must be a a supplier who can do it cheaper. I'm in the
UK, thanks for any advice.

You'll have to open it up, very carefully avoiding hazards like fragile
wiring, and you might have to note several awkward screw placements and keep
a lot of loose parts safe. Sony (like Technics and a few other firms' gear)
is not easy to get inside because they use unusual schemes to make things
compact. Then you'll have to identify the display manel exactly by whatever
is printed on its board, and remove it, AFTER establishing exactly what you
can get to replace it. Sometimes you can get more than just the raw display,
you might find a source of a complete module of some kind, you won't know
till you look at it and start hunting.

By the time you've done all this, you might start to wonder if that £200
wasn't too steep. It is steep, but the profit margin isn't as extreme as you
might think.