Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung HDTV setup troubleshooting

Sorry if this question is too basic for this group; I am new to this
(as you will see from my question, not super-tech-savvy).

My wife & I bought a Samsung 32” flat-screen HD TV. We have digital
cable TV at home, in addition to a DVD player. We were able to
successfully hook up the TV so that digital cable comes through just
fine, but the DVD player (which runs through the “Component 2”
channel) comes through only in black & white. The sound is good and
the picture is good, but there is no color. We are using brand new A/
V cables, and though the DVD player is several years old it worked
fine on our old (standard) television set.

What are we doing wrong? Is this a set-up issue or is it a problem
with the TV itself? Any suggestions would be welcome – thank you. JGT
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 11:58:33 -0700, jgtrimble wrote:

Sorry if this question is too basic for this group; I am new to this
(as you will see from my question, not super-tech-savvy).

My wife & I bought a Samsung 32 flat-screen HD TV. We have digital
cable TV at home, in addition to a DVD player. We were able to
successfully hook up the TV so that digital cable comes through just
fine, but the DVD player (which runs through the Component 2
channel) comes through only in black & white. The sound is good and
the picture is good, but there is no color. We are using brand new A/
V cables, and though the DVD player is several years old it worked
fine on our old (standard) television set.

What are we doing wrong? Is this a set-up issue or is it a problem
with the TV itself? Any suggestions would be welcome - thank you. JGT

To ask a possibly dumb question... how many cables do you have connected
between the DVD player and the TV?

There should be three for the video, plus two for the audio for a total of
five.

Assuming there are three cables for the video, what colors are the jacks
they're plugged into on the DVD player? On the TV set? Are they the same
on both ends? (is the blue jack on the DVD connected to the blue jack on
the TV, and the red jack on the DVD connected to the red jack on the TV?)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I experienced the same problem with my new 37". I even exchanged
because I thought it was faulty. Turns out only the component 1
connection supports AV cables. The component 2 connection doesn't.
If you look at the back panel you will see it only says AV1 beside the
first connection, but there is no AV2

On Sep 2, 11:58*am, wrote:
Sorry if this question is too basic for this group; I am new to this
(as you will see from my question, not super-tech-savvy).

My wife & I bought a Samsung 32” flat-screen HD TV. We have digital
cable TV at home, in addition to a DVD player. *We were able to
successfully hook up the TV so that digital cable comes through just
fine, but the DVD player (which runs through the “Component 2”
channel) comes through only in black & white. The sound is good and
the picture is good, but there is no color. *We are using brand new A/
V cables, and though the DVD player is several years old it worked
fine on our old (standard) television set.

What are we doing wrong? Is this a set-up issue or is it a problem
with the TV itself? Any suggestions would be welcome – thank you. JGT

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cadiolis wrote:

I experienced the same problem with my new 37". I even exchanged
because I thought it was faulty. Turns out only the component 1
connection supports AV cables. The component 2 connection doesn't.
If you look at the back panel you will see it only says AV1 beside the
first connection, but there is no AV2

What is the component 2 connection used for? I'm probably not
understanding what you wrote, but it seems the component 2 connection
has no use.