mullen5

Default having problems with samsung HDTV...need diagnosis

we have a 32in. samsung HDTV. it's approx. three years old and so far we
have not had any problems with it.

the problem is, this morning the tv turned on fine, however when we went
to leave the house it would not turn off, so we had to unplug it.
it did not turn off by pushing the power button on the tv or or by trying
to turn it off using two of the different remotes that usually work with
it.
neither did any of the other buttons on the front work nor the buttons on
the remote. the tv didn't react to any buttons pushed, not the volume or
the channel buttons, or the button to switch it to tv/video, etc.
when we came home, i plugged it back in and the tv turned on. i decided to
try the buttons so i pushed the power button on the front and it turned
off. however, when i turned it back on by pushing the power button again,
it turned on but no picture came up, only sound. also, it wouldn't turn
off by pushing the button again.
so i unplugged it again, and then replugged it back in. the tv turned on
again and the picture was back.
this time i decided to try the remotes so i pushed tv/video on one of the
remotes (this was while it was still somewhat in the process of turning
on...the power light on the front of the tv was still flashiing). i pushed
a button and the tv/video menu came up and then vanished almost instantly,
about the same time as the power light stopped flashing. now, once again
none of the buttons are working.

does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

kip

Yes It needs repairing so best call a TV shop and get an estimate of cost.
Ther is NOTHING you can do yourself.

kip

"mullen5" wrote in message
lkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
[...]

RonKZ650

Being in the TV business, here is my normal experience with every HDTV
that has ever come in.
#1. No sams coverage, so no scematic. Order scematic, special order not
in stock, wait 3 weeks for manual.
#2. Decide better to replace entire circuit board since there are no
human replacable parts or way to troubleshoot 380 pin surface mt ICs.
Order board, not available, order individual parts, special order, wait
3 more weeks.
#3. Put in new part and hope and pray because if it isn't fixed, going
to be another 3 weeks.
#4 Cuss and swear. Why in the FU** do they build this crap and expect
repair???

Leonard Caillouet

Curious. We fix HDTV at the component level all the time. True that much
greater integration and new technologies means that more will be board level
repair, but there are still lots of discrete components...

There are several ways to gain access to service literature. You can post a
request here and other techs will likely help you out. You can join NESDA
and get access to some manufacturer's web sites. You can join one of
several listserves, forums, or email groups where techs share info. You can
become an ASC for brands that you service a lot of. You can pay for access
to some manufacturer's sites without being an ASC. Most service manuals and
training literature are online now. Why would you wait 3 weeks for a
manual?

The industry is changing. Embrace it a figure out where the money is.
Those HD sets represent a large investment for many folks so buying a $900
circuit board might not be as outrageous as you think.

Leonard

oups.com...
#1. No sams coverage, so no scematic. Order scematic, special order not
in stock, wait 3 weeks for manual.
#2. Decide better to replace entire circuit board since there are no
#3. Put in new part and hope and pray because if it isn't fixed, going
to be another 3 weeks.
#4 Cuss and swear. Why in the FU** do they build this crap and expect
repair???