Al

Default Service policy for Samsung 50" HDTV?

I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also
purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that
replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the
bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Bruce Esquibel

Al wrote:
: I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also
: purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

: The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that
: replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the
: bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

: What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Generally those service contracts are just money makers for the stores that
sell them and don't work in your favor for the most part.

If you want to rest easy, stick the $400 into a bank account and use it
towards the repair if the set breaks down.

The set you are looking at (it's a DLP) does use a bulb which will burn out
at some point, but these days it'll probably croak long after that repair
contract runs out.

So when that happens, you are out the $400 for the contract and will have to
cough up another $400 to replace it on a set that is a few years old and
cost around $2000.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

-bruce

Travis Jordan

Al wrote:
What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Don't buy them. They are designed to make money for the store.

MTLnews

Don't think the bulb of a DLP is included in these contracts anyhow. When
the bulb goes, it is considered a consumable, and not a manufacturing defect
(just like printer cartridges). Regular wear and tear.
I never take these service contracts anyhow. Just like when just under 3
years ago, the salesman tried to sell me a service contract for a DVD
burner.. Burner back then was something like $120, and the service contract
was $30... And now (3 years later) new burners (4 times faster) can be had
for $50.. Definately not worth it. In my case, I got lucky that the
unit died on me 10 months after I bought it, and the manufacturer actually
arranged to have it picked up by Fedex, and was then sent a replacement free
of charge (not even shipping) and a nice upgrade (went from a 2X burner to
thier latest 16X burner at the time). Hey I definately got my money's
worth., nd the unit has been working like a charm...
Due to competition, they work with very low markups on the hardware, and try
to make up for it, by selling you these contracts, accessories, monster
cables, power conditioners, etc. which have huge markups..
Within the first year, you have the manufacturer's warranty usually anyhow,
and if all is good for first year, usually the odds are it will last at
least 5 years before anything goes wrong, which at that point the contract
is expired. And in most cases, the repir will be less than or around $400
if you are unlucky.

Good Luck.

Al wrote:
: I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also
: purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

: The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that
: replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the
: bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

: What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Another cheaper option is 3rd party plans offered by Repairmaster and
Mack. The Repairmaster plan has had favorable discussion on avsforum and
Mack has a long history of camera service plans and now offer electronics
coverage. Both plans offer bulb replacement coverage separate, but you
still have to buy regular coverage to get the bulb replacement coverage.
The price of these plans are cheaper than those quoted by CC or BB.

quietguy

Travis Jordan wrote:

Al wrote:
What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Don't buy them. They are designed to make money for the store.Also
check

Also check that it is a service contract, not an extended guarantee.
Service contracts cover everything (or at least they should) but the
guarantees exclude normal wear and tear

David - who would find a local trusted repairer if he was going to pay
for a service contract

Art

With the overall history of Samsung, and servicing way too many for Lamp,
Ballast, Colour Wheel, and Light Engine problems, I'd probably drop the coin
for the service contract. The first repair, especially of ht is the colour
wheel or ballast, may easily cost more than the $400 stated. Most major
companies, within their service contracts, do cover the lamp, on a limited
basis, as well as all the other internal components of the products. Make
absolutely sure that you ask specifically what is included with the policy
and the length of it's term, especially if the first year runs concurrent
with the manufacturer's original warranty. No, I don't sell policies, just
eapir the crap that my employeer, a major retailer, sells to the consumers.
"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
Another cheaper option is 3rd party plans offered by Repairmaster and
Mack. The Repairmaster plan has had favorable discussion on avsforum
and Mack has a long history of camera service plans and now offer
electronics coverage. Both plans offer bulb replacement coverage

Mack doesn't get good reviews:
http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-o...+Video+Service