Al wrote:
: I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also
: purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

: The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that
: replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the
: bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

: What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Another cheaper option is 3rd party plans offered by Repairmaster and
Mack. The Repairmaster plan has had favorable discussion on avsforum and
Mack has a long history of camera service plans and now offer electronics
coverage. Both plans offer bulb replacement coverage separate, but you
still have to buy regular coverage to get the bulb replacement coverage.
The price of these plans are cheaper than those quoted by CC or BB.