Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung HDTV/DLP blows bulbs

50-inch Samsung model HLN507W had it's bulb replaced by a service tech from
the local shop. Replacement lasted a 1 day.

Anyone have experience with this model? What should I suspect is causing
bulbs to burn out? A common problem?

Are there troubleshooting or service docs available on-line?

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

SparkyGuy wrote:
50-inch Samsung model HLN507W had it's bulb replaced by a service tech from
the local shop. Replacement lasted a 1 day.

Anyone have experience with this model? What should I suspect is causing
bulbs to burn out? A common problem?

Are there troubleshooting or service docs available on-line?

Thanks,
Sparky

Maybe a problem with the ballast or something to do with the
airflow/cooling.
Call the tech and have him fix the cause as well as a new bulb.
The bulb should be under warranty but expect to pay more if there is an
additional problem.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tez tez is offline

On Mar 17, 12:03 pm, Jamie
t wrote:
SparkyGuy wrote:
50-inch Samsung model HLN507W had it's bulb replaced by a service tech from
the local shop. Replacement lasted a 1 day.

Anyone have experience with this model? What should I suspect is causing
bulbs to burn out? A common problem?

Are there troubleshooting or service docs available on-line?

Thanks,
Sparky

bad ballast ?
We just replaced a Lamp&ballast today at work because of a bad ballast
over voltaging and burning out the lamp. Normally you may detect extra
brightness abilities before it goes out. Now the lamp we replaced today
was used just for over head lighting how ever, these lamps are the same
technology used in DLP rear projection.

Real Programmers Do things like this.http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Your tech should have checked the voltage at the bulb socket. If not
get them to check it before replacing bulb. Sounds like an over
voltage or voltage surge problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The service manuals from the manufactures are not free of charge. They
are copyright material. Some manufactures will not sell service
manuals to non authorzed service reps.

The common causes of the pre-mature blowing of projector lamps is
improper cooling, or the power supply is out of specs.This should be
properly checked by a service tech who is familiar with the unit and
has the proper service information to take reference with.

It is possible that the lamp you bought may have been defective from
new. We've also seen that before.

Jerry G.
======

On Mar 16, 2:46 pm, SparkyGuy wrote:
50-inch Samsung model HLN507W had it's bulb replaced by a service tech from
the local shop. Replacement lasted a 1 day.

Anyone have experience with this model? What should I suspect is causing
bulbs to burn out? A common problem?

Are there troubleshooting or service docs available on-line?

Thanks,
Sparky

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

How do you know its the bulb this time ? unless it shattered inside .
Samsung usually has a good reputation for bulbs lasting .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Your tech should have checked the voltage at the bulb socket. If not
get them to check it before replacing bulb. Sounds like an over
voltage or voltage surge problem.

Checking the voltage won't reveal anything, it may however destroy the
meter from the starting pulses. HID lamps are current driven, the lamp
voltage will settle at whatever the particular lamp likes, the current
you force through it determines the wattage the lamp runs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I freely admit knowing nothing about DLP other than it has a high
intensity lamp and a rotating color wheel Is the lamp incandescent like
a Halogen or some other technology hence requiring a ballast of some sorts.

It's a compact metal halide or super high pressure mercury vapor lamp.
Both are discharge lamps requiring an electronic ballast.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

(Ken G.) writes:

How do you know its the bulb this time ? unless it shattered inside .
Samsung usually has a good reputation for bulbs lasting .

And if it did shatter, this may have also been due to improper handling
during installation.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:
http://www.repairfaq.org/