Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default spontaneous PC power losses - HELP!

I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Interestingly, trying to turn the machine back on does nothing.
HOWEVER...if I physically unplug the PC, and leave it off for a few
seconds, I then *can* reboot it. Looking inside the case, I notice a
green LED. When this goes out (after unplugging) it signals that I can
now successfully reboot. If I try to reboot before the light goes out
(about a 2 second wait) the reboot fails. I'm assuming the LED is
showing power remaining on the motherboard due to capacitors. I don't
know if that's a hint towards a solution?

Also, when I reboot, most (but not all) of the time the bios has been
reset as well.

Now the questions I've got a
1) Why? I've installed drives dozens of times, and never had anything
like this.
2) How do I fix it? Presumably a new motherboard will do the trick,
though I'd like to a) confirm that's the cause and b) fix the existing
MB, if at all possible. (Historically, every time I've tried to
replace a MB I've ended up having to replace the entire PC. Apparently
my skills don't lie in that direction!)

Is there any chance I can salvage this board? I have no idea if
replacing the onboard battery, flashing the bios, or any of these
arcane things will do anything to help, or if it's physically broken
and needs a part replaced? A electrician friend tells me he thinks a
capacitor may have gone, but looking at the MB, none of them appear to
be swollen or leaking.

thanks a lot! any advice is appreciated!
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

wrote in message

[...]

LMAO

but looking at the MB, none of them appear to
be swollen or leaking.

thanks a lot! any advice is appreciated!

After all that waffle and piffle, you never even once conidered removing the
****ing DVD drive. Right?

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Your DVD drive could be defective.So could that second power drive
too.One of the worst things to do with a computer is to physically
unplug that computer without properly shutting the computer down first.
cuhulin

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.
--
"I will admit to being dickless.
I will admit to being a raging homosexual.
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

applause

--
http://www.kustomkomputa.co.uk
- Personalised Desktop Computers

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit to reading
any of his tripe.

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:44 +1000, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
"Kadaitcha Man" got double secret
probation for writing:

John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit to reading
any of his tripe.

*PLONK*

--

A Number 1, Grade A, Prime USDA 'Ratz
Accept No Substitute
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit to
reading
any of his tripe.

*PLONK*

HA! FOILEDED!!!1! I HACE MORFED!!!1!

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction, I'm Gay as Boy George at Neverland Ranch!

Yes, Ricky!

John C.
--
"I will admit to being dickless.
I will admit to being a raging homosexual.
I will admit to being black."
- Rick Mather a.k.a. "K-man"

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

"§ñühw¤£f" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:44 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

"Dr.Hal0nf1r£$" wrote in

message
John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit to

reading
any of his tripe.

Actually there *is*
I got him to fess up to being a WIFE BEATER.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As per Arkansas Law.

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:41:16 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

MAybe in the new drive?

but looking at the MB, none of them appear to
be swollen or leaking.

thanks a lot! any advice is appreciated!

After all that waffle and piffle, you never even once conidered removing the
****ing DVD drive. Right?

Sure. test it in a new unit.

Then mess around in the BIOS...then notice that OMG! My show is coming on!
Leave for few days and come back and everything works magically.
Blame evil haunted equipment.

--
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com...Centipedes.jpg

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit to reading
any of his tripe.

Actually there *is*
I got him to fess up to being a WIFE BEATER.

FYI

--
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com...Centipedes.jpg

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

wrote in message
\I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Unplug/replug all power and data connections. That way, the errant loose one
will be fixed and your problem will be resolved.

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

"John \"C\"" clouded the waters of pure thought with:

"§ñühw¤£f" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:44 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

"Dr.Hal0nf1r£$" wrote in

message
John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit to

reading
any of his tripe.

Actually there *is*
I got him to fess up to being a WIFE BEATER.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As per Arkansas Law.

So your defence of your action is that if its legal its also moral?
I beg to differ.

--
www.ohmproject.org

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

news

"§ñühw¤£f" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:44 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

"Dr.Hal0nf1r£$" wrote

in
message
John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in

message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit

reading
any of his tripe.

Actually there *is*
I got him to fess up to being a WIFE BEATER.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As per Arkansas Law.

So your defence of your action is that if its legal its also moral?
I beg to differ.

That's what my 10th. cousin George Bush says!

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

thanks a lot! any advice is appreciated!

After all that waffle and piffle, you never even once conidered removing the
****ing DVD drive. Right?

Wow, you're quick to jump to conclusions. If you read the post, you'll
notice that:

"...I've tried replacing the power supply, and I've tried removing all
my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related."

So yes, of course I removed the DVD drive. Logically, the first thing
to try...
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Apr 18, 12:46 pm, "Butch Haynes" butch@huntsville wrote:
wrote in message

\I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,

I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Unplug/replug all power and data connections. That way, the errant loose one
will be fixed and your problem will be resolved.

Thank you for the tip. I did this, but no luck.

A couple interesting new developments: one one occasion when it
wouldn't start, holding down the power button kept the PC on, for as
long as I held it. That made me wonder if it was the switch, but the
effect was never repeated. Another time it wouldn't start, and I
disconnected all the devices but the hard drive, and then it started.
Yet other times I have disconnected every single device, and the fan
won't even spin and try to start.

Strange...

Thank you! I appreciate the helpers among the trolls.
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

wrote:

Wow, you're quick to jump to conclusions.

Who?

--

Best online game ever
http://flashgame.plaync.jp/dwarfcomplete.jsp

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

wrote in message
thanks a lot! any advice is appreciated!

After all that waffle and piffle, you never even once conidered removing
the
****ing DVD drive. Right?

Wow, you're quick to jump to conclusions.

Yes, very. You have a problem with that?

If you read the post, you'll
notice that:

"...I've tried replacing the power supply, and I've tried removing all
my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related."

So yes, of course IBITCHSLAP

You need to be less overblown with the techno-bull****. People like you do
that all the time in an effort to hide the fact that you don't know what the
**** you're on about. The fact is, now that you offer that text in your
defence, the very first line in that mass of swollen verbiage you call a
post was a lie.

"I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then, I
get spontaneous power loss periodically..."

Had you been less of a ****ing jaw-boner you would have said "I installed a
DVD drive into my PC then removed it. Since then, I get spontaneous power
loss periodically..."

The poor ****s who have to suffer your flowery, porcine posts wouldn't have
needed the ten extra pages of ****ing bombastic waffle you added. The answer
would have been a straightforward, "You ****ed something".

HTH

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Butch Haynes" butch@huntsville wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message

I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Unplug/replug all power and data connections. That way, the errant loose
one will be fixed and your problem will be resolved.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tech support by feng shui.

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:26:03 +1000, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,

wrote in message

I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Unplug/replug all power and data connections. That way, the errant loose
one will be fixed and your problem will be resolved.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tech support by feng shui.

"I've tried removing all my hardware(other than RAM)"

Do none of them understand what that entails?

--

A Number 1, Grade A, Prime USDA 'Ratz
Accept No Substitute
Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

"Aratzio" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 13:26:03 +1000, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
"Kadaitcha Man" got double secret
probation for writing:

"Butch Haynes" butch@huntsville wrote in message
m...
wrote in message

I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Unplug/replug all power and data connections. That way, the errant loose
one will be fixed and your problem will be resolved.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tech support by feng shui.

"I've tried removing all my hardware(other than RAM)"

Do none of them understand what that entails?

None of them understand anything.

--
alt.usenet.kooks
Hamlet, Act 3, Scene 1 [129]

Member of:
Usenet Ruiner List
Top Assholes on the Net List
Most hated usenetizens of all time List
Cog in the AUK Hate Machine

Find me on Google Maps: 24°39'47.13"S, 134°4'20.18"E

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

In article
,
wrote:
I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

I had a similar thing which drove me crazy. Happened just after fitting a
new graphics card. Which was just coincidence.
Turned out to be the main processor overheating and shutting down. Its
fan was working normally and no error messages generated. Removing the
heatsink, cleaning and applying new thermo conductive paste sorted it. Now
have a spare power supply...

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
,
wrote:
I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

I had a similar thing which drove me crazy. Happened just after fitting a
new graphics card. Which was just coincidence.
Turned out to be the main processor overheating and shutting down. Its
fan was working normally and no error messages generated. Removing the
heatsink, cleaning and applying new thermo conductive paste sorted it. Now
have a spare power supply...

I had the same problem with the PC shutting down when the processor was
working hard. Its heatsink was full of dust. Soon afterwards, I again
had shutdowns. This time it was because the PSU fan had seized solid
(probably dry bearings). Freeing-off and re-lubrication with WD40 has
worked for the last 6 months (but I will fit a new fan one day).

In the front of the case, I have since fitted an additional fan which
sucks the air in, and also blocked off some unused holes (to ensure that
most of the air entering passes through the fan). In front of the fan is
a crude filter made out of thin scouring pads. Every couple of weeks, I
wrench off the plastic front panel of the computer, and clean a VERY
dirty filter.

Finally, as this is an Asus motherboard, I have installed 'Asus PC
Probe' - a monitoring program which tells you things like the
temperature of the processor and hard drives, the voltage rails, the fan
speeds etc. As all is now working OK, I don't use it much, but it is
interesting to watch the processor rise from 28C to 45C during a
prolonged spell of 100% activity!
--
Ian
Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 09:01:56 -0700, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,
§ñühw¤£f got double secret probation for
writing:

wrote in message

I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

Unplug/replug all power and data connections. That way, the errant loose
one will be fixed and your problem will be resolved.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tech support by feng shui.

"I've tried removing all my hardware(other than RAM)"

Do none of them understand what that entails?

None of them understand anything.

I go toetally on into-ition.
Just do what feels good for a few hours...take out a few cables...fondle them...blow out the dust bunnies...listen to the Grateful Dead live at Winterland for inspiration.
Drink another beer...
Change a bunch of jumpers on the Mobo at random.
Leave **** scattered around on yer workbench and wander away.
Watch cartoons for another hour...
Come back and put it back together.
Holy ****! Now it works.
Thats how I do it anyway.
FYI
HTH

Dunno why you geeks muck about with all that crap.

I take em out to the back 40, prop em against the side of the gully
and show them my Springfield 30-06.

They always work after that.

Works good with the employees, wife and kids too.

--

A Number 1, Grade A, Prime USDA 'Ratz
Accept No Substitute
Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

wrote in message

[...]

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/18/...-iraq-debacle/

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:55:32 -0500
"John \"C\"" wrote:

news

"§ñühw¤£f" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:44 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

"Dr.Hal0nf1r£$" wrote

in
message
John "C" wrote:
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote in

message

Right?

Yes, Ricky!

John C.

Welcome to the the K-Man & John 'C' Show

- Featuring the Kadaitcha Man and his yes-man; John 'C'.

Correction.

Welcome to the John 'C' Show

- Featuring Kadaitcha Man stalker, John 'C'.

I have the **** plonked. As you no doubt see, there is no benefit

reading
any of his tripe.

Actually there *is*
I got him to fess up to being a WIFE BEATER.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As per Arkansas Law.

So your defence of your action is that if its legal its also moral?
I beg to differ.

That's what my 10th. cousin George Bush says!

He's not a good source for advice on morality.

--
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/18/...-iraq-debacle/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You didn't say how old the PC is. It might be the onboard battery.
First, try to reseat it; if that doesn't help, I'd try replacing it w.
a new one. Also, check carefully that the MB is not occasionally
shorting out to the chassis (that all insulating spacers are in place).

wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
I had a similar thing which drove me crazy. Happened just after fitting
a new graphics card. Which was just coincidence. Turned out to be the
main processor overheating and shutting down. Its fan was working
normally and no error messages generated. Removing the heatsink,
cleaning and applying new thermo conductive paste sorted it. Now have a
spare power supply...

I had the same problem with the PC shutting down when the processor was
working hard. Its heatsink was full of dust. Soon afterwards, I again
had shutdowns. This time it was because the PSU fan had seized solid
(probably dry bearings). Freeing-off and re-lubrication with WD40 has
worked for the last 6 months (but I will fit a new fan one day).

Mine was relatively new and the heatsink clean. Plenty of fans, too, all
working. It's a home assembled one which worked fine for a year or so
before developing the symptoms. I used the paste which came with the
heatsink originally and that had gone hard - dunno why.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, in this house, there seems to be an inexhaustible supply
dirt and dust. God know where it comes from. You really would NOT
believe how filthy my home-made filter gets.

Actually, I forgot to mention also that the clamping of the heat
dissipater/ fan assembly to the processor was rather loose. This would
definitely have made things worse. I disassembled everything, cleaned
off the dust and thermal paste (which was still soft), did a bit of
judicious bending so the clamp was firm, put on new thermal paste, etc.
It was like a new machine when I had finished.
--
Ian

Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

The heat dries out most pastes ! That is why the move to phase change
materials was made. Also the phase change material allows for a much
thinner interface improving thermal conductivity and thus a more
effective heat transfer.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Aratzio clouded the waters of pure thought with:

wrote in message

[...]

BLINK
BLINK
OMG! I would never shoot a poor defenceless computer!

They always work after that.

I assume you miss...

Works good with the employees, wife and kids too.

Note to self: dont work for 'Ratz.

--
www.biologicaldiversity.org

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 16:09:53 -0500, in the land of alt.usenet.kooks,

wrote in message

[...]

Never had need to actually fire the damn thing.

--

A Number 1, Grade A, Prime USDA 'Ratz
Accept No Substitute
Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.os.windows-xp

"§ñühw¤£f" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:55:32 -0500
"John \"C\"" wrote:

news

"§ñühw¤£f" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:23:44 +1000
"Kadaitcha Man" wrote:

"Dr.Hal0nf1r£$"

wrote
in
message
John "C" wrote:
[...]

Oh No.

Posted to alt.os.windows-xp,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

wrote in message

[...]

Interesting. So you say that pc's respond to threats of annihilation?
I've got a sledge hammer laying about...
Will it solve my booting problems?

--
http://thinkprogress.org/2008/04/19/...zenegger-bush/