Posted to alt.computer,sci.electronics.repair,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default spontaneous PC power losses - HELP!

In article
,
wrote:
I recently installed a DVD drive into my PC. (2 days ago.) Since then,
I get spontaneous power loss periodically - sometimes seconds after
booting, other times after hours of operation. I've tried replacing
the power supply, and I've tried removing all my hardware (other than
RAM), so I'm thinking it must be motherboard related.

I had a similar thing which drove me crazy. Happened just after fitting a
new graphics card. Which was just coincidence.
Turned out to be the main processor overheating and shutting down. Its
fan was working normally and no error messages generated. Removing the
heatsink, cleaning and applying new thermo conductive paste sorted it. Now
have a spare power supply...

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.