Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Billy Mays TV Filter Needed

Do we have any electronics experts out here who can develop a Billy
Mays TV filter? What's needed is a filter which will automatically
mute the sound whenever a yelling Billy Mays commercial comes on.

If you're not familiar with Billy Mays, he's the dark bearded fat man
who can not speak in a normal tone, only yells and screams. He does
commercials for Oxy Clean, Hercules Hook, and all sorts of other
useless junk. The ideal solution would be to hang him from a hercules
hook, and while giving him an oxy clean enema, remove his vocal
chords. But that's not likely to happen.

I'm getting really tired of manually hitting the mute button on my
remote everytime his abrasive and most irritating yelling voice
invades my serenity. There's got to be a way to automatically detect
his obnoxious voice and instantly mute the sound for the duration of
the commercial.

If anyone can develop one of these, they could become wealthy. Please
post the schematic if you know a way to block him.

One final comment. If you hate this guy as much as most of us do,
NEVER, EVER buy anything he advertises. Besides most if not all the
products he promotes are junk, (recently proven by consumer groups).
You do not want to support his products. If sales drop, his
commercials will also be dropped, and he'll fade out of out
televisions and never be heard from again.

Until then, we need a Mays Filter !!!!

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I dont hate Billy Mays, but those commercials are irksome.About all I
can do about tv commercials is Mute the sound or change channels.He pops
up almost everywhere on tv.Last night I was watching BBC America tv news
and up popped Billy Mays.There are a lot of other tv commercials I dont
like either.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

You're watching too much TV, Dan, and the wrong kind of TV. Stick to a
moderate amount of exposure, and only programming aimed at people with
an IQ above 75, and you'll only see him once every six months. When he
comes on, the correct button is not the MUTE, it's the OFF. If you can't
find a single thing to do outdoors, then go build a model ship or
something on the kitchen table.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I already have one. It's call the 'off' button.

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Yes, there is something not quite right about someone saying "I watch
adverts and they annoy me". It's like an addiction, where there is not a
simgle logical reason why you should carry on doing what you are doing, yet
you still do it, usually to your great detriment.

I've been muting adverts for about a year now. Occasionally I forget and
hear one, and am just astounded at how crass and manipulative they are, and
how I so do not want to hear another one ever again and be drawn into that
stupid commercial world that says "you need this product". The mute button
is your friend, the off button, as the above poster says, may well be your
(and my) saviour and introduction to the real world.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:23:25 -0400 "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote in Message id:
:

wrote:

[...]

I have one as well. http://www.binsearch.info/
I use it to download the .nzb's for the few shows that I like, and
download 'em from Usenet. As a bonus ALL commercials are edited out.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Yes, there is something not quite right about someone saying "I watch
adverts and they annoy me". It's like an addiction, where there is not a
simgle logical reason why you should carry on doing what you are doing,
yet you still do it, usually to your great detriment.

I've been muting adverts for about a year now. Occasionally I forget and
hear one, and am just astounded at how crass and manipulative they are,
and how I so do not want to hear another one ever again and be drawn into
that stupid commercial world that says "you need this product". The mute
button is your friend, the off button, as the above poster says, may well
be your (and my) saviour and introduction to the real world.

Two solutions come to mind:

Quit watching TV, there's not much worth seeing on anyway.

or

Get a DVR, pause it for a while to build up a buffer, then skip the
commercials.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some tv commercials aren't so bad.Dallas Auto Painting & Collision
Repair shop has two good ones.The newest one is two Deers riding along
in a car at night time, one of the Deer is driving the car.They see a
semi nude man standing in the middle of the road, stareing at the head
lights and suddenly the man darts off the road into the bushes.The Deer
that is driving the car says to the other Deer, It's almost like they
want to get hit!

The other one is a pretty blonde woman drives to a golf course.She stops
and takes a sledge hammer out of the trunk of her car and she walks over
to a red sporty looking convetible car and she buries the sledge hammer
into the hood of that car and she bust the windshield.Just at that
moment a guy pulls up in a car exactly like the car she was
destroying.He says, Honey, What are you doing?
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3ÔÂ28ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç10ʱ57·Ö, wrote:
[...]

Do you want access to China's massive pool of electronic
manufacturers... but lack the time to contact suppliers, negotiate
contracts, arrange shipping or monitor product quality? Don't worry -
Let seriouswholesale deal with all that for you.

*Check out the huge range of Gadgets, MP3 / MP4 Players, Car DVD /
Audio, and Computer Accessories now by visiting the online wholesale
catalog at seriouswholesale. com You'll have peace of mind thanks to
the seriouswholesale Quality Control, 12-month Warranty on all
products, and easy secure payment by credit card through Paypal.

Selling on eBay or your own online store? Send products direct from
our warehouse to your customers using our unique drop-shipping
service. You can profit by selling hundreds of different products,
without holding any of your own inventory! Any questions you have will
be answered by the seriouswholesale English-speaking customer support
team... Their aim is to make your China electronics importing business
easier to run than ever before.

Welcome to http://www.seriouswholesale.com.

seriouswholesale - Buy from the source, profit without the hassle.

- 12 Months Warranty - No minimum order restrictions - Drop-shipping
with no additional fee - Pay by safely by PayPal seriouswholesale
Wholesale Co., Ltd.: Chinas original and best online electronics
wholesaler & drop-shipper: seriouswholesale. com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc Zabkar wrote:
I notice that Internet advertisers are actively trying to circumvent
Mozilla's ad killer by refusing access to their web sites when this ad
killer is detected.

There isn't a single one of them I can't do without. I shall have to get
and install the ad killer.

--
One meter, to within 0.0125% accuracy (off by just under .005 inches):
Three feet
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Try using the Mute button on the remote, or just simply turn down the
volume. It's a lot cheaper than having a custom made filter! Then
when the commercial expires, you will be stuck with a useless device!

Jerry G.
======

On Mar 28, 10:57*am, wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 28, 10:57 am, wrote:
Do we have any electronics experts out here who can develop a Billy
Mays TV filter?

I can't help with the filter, but I do have an observation. Billy
Mays is one of TV's biggest thiefs. He sells products that don't
work, and he's likely making a fortune doing it (I love the one where
he wipes some sort of snake oil on a car with a deep paint scratch and
it disappears instantly). I don't have a clue how this man sleeps at
night.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:20:52 GMT, "James Sweet"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:38:37 -0500, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I dont hate Billy Mays, but those commercials are irksome.About all I
can do about tv commercials is Mute the sound ...

I notice that Internet advertisers are actively trying to circumvent
Mozilla's ad killer by refusing access to their web sites when this ad
killer is detected. I wonder if content protection will ever get to
the point where the MUTE function is disabled at the insistence of
content providers as a condition of access to their services.

I haven't encountered one of those. What's the website in question?

I don't use Mozilla/Firefox, except in those cases where Opera has
trouble rendering a site. In fact I've been using a Javascript based
ad and flash blocker for quite some time on the Opera platform.

See
http://userjs.org/scripts/general/en...s/hide-objects

As for Firefox, maybe I was wrong about the extent of the backlash
against Mozilla, and maybe I was wrong about Adblock being detected
instead of the browser itself, but I do recall that content providers
were looking at ways to hit back.

Anyway, I found this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock

"A number of website owners, particularly those whose sites display
online advertisements, argue that the use of ad-blocking software such
as Adblock is cutting off their revenue stream, with some going as far
as calling it tantamount to theft. The central argument against
ad-blocking software holds that advertisements allow website owners to
pay for server upkeep and bandwidth bills to continue hosting their
content for free. Some websites have taken counter-measures against
ad-blocking software, such as attempting to detect the presence of ad
blockers and informing users of their views, or outright preventing
users from accessing the content unless they disable the ad-blocking
software."

"Some webmasters have used JavaScript to detect the effects of the
popular Adblock filters. This has been done by generating a
honeypot-like URL and verifying its delivery and also by more advanced
verification of the DOM after the web page is rendered in the web
browser to ensure the expected advertising elements are present.

These methods do not detect the presence of the Adblock extension
directly, only the effects of the filters, and are vulnerable to
continued updates to the filters.

An attempt was made to detect the plug-in itself but that detection
method was rendered unusable by the 7.5.2 update of AdBlock Plus."

- Franc Zabkar

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

You know, if the ads hadn't become so obnoxious, I never would have bothered
blocking them in the first place. It started out with the stupid X10 ads,
flashy animated things popping up all the time, then it got even worse when
sites started using overlaid flash ads with blaring sound, at that point I
got fed up and blocked everything, even benign ads.

Theft? What are they smoking? Is it also theft if I ignore the ads mentally?
Is channel surfing during TV commercials theft?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Inoreing the ads mentally and channel surfing is not theft.I paid for
my tv sets (the one I use with my WebTV set top only, and my other tv
set sitting right next to that one that I only have my DirecTV set top
box hooked up to for watching tv) and my set top boxes with my own
money.I Own them and what I do with them is my business, only.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Who makes appliances for MFI / Hygena / Howdens? Cooker hood filter needed. Mike Barnard UK diy 2 January 30th 08 10:17 PM
Problems attaching Ikea Billy Nickelby doors to Billy bookcase Moo Home Ownership 1 May 18th 07 05:34 PM
Billy Cmelak Master Personas PirateJohn Woodworking 1 February 23rd 07 09:13 PM
Paging Billy K JWho Metalworking 0 November 8th 05 05:22 PM
Shop vac. filter cover, source needed Over40pirate Woodworking 2 February 5th 05 06:52 AM