Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Billy Mays TV Filter Needed

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:20:52 GMT, "James Sweet"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:38:37 -0500, put finger to
keyboard and composed:

I dont hate Billy Mays, but those commercials are irksome.About all I
can do about tv commercials is Mute the sound ...

I notice that Internet advertisers are actively trying to circumvent
Mozilla's ad killer by refusing access to their web sites when this ad
killer is detected. I wonder if content protection will ever get to
the point where the MUTE function is disabled at the insistence of
content providers as a condition of access to their services.

I haven't encountered one of those. What's the website in question?

I don't use Mozilla/Firefox, except in those cases where Opera has
trouble rendering a site. In fact I've been using a Javascript based
ad and flash blocker for quite some time on the Opera platform.

See
http://userjs.org/scripts/general/en...s/hide-objects

As for Firefox, maybe I was wrong about the extent of the backlash
against Mozilla, and maybe I was wrong about Adblock being detected
instead of the browser itself, but I do recall that content providers
were looking at ways to hit back.

Anyway, I found this Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adblock

"A number of website owners, particularly those whose sites display
online advertisements, argue that the use of ad-blocking software such
as Adblock is cutting off their revenue stream, with some going as far
as calling it tantamount to theft. The central argument against
ad-blocking software holds that advertisements allow website owners to
pay for server upkeep and bandwidth bills to continue hosting their
content for free. Some websites have taken counter-measures against
ad-blocking software, such as attempting to detect the presence of ad
blockers and informing users of their views, or outright preventing
users from accessing the content unless they disable the ad-blocking
software."

"Some webmasters have used JavaScript to detect the effects of the
popular Adblock filters. This has been done by generating a
honeypot-like URL and verifying its delivery and also by more advanced
verification of the DOM after the web page is rendered in the web
browser to ensure the expected advertising elements are present.

These methods do not detect the presence of the Adblock extension
directly, only the effects of the filters, and are vulnerable to
continued updates to the filters.

An attempt was made to detect the plug-in itself but that detection
method was rendered unusable by the 7.5.2 update of AdBlock Plus."

- Franc Zabkar