Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ibm selectric II

i have recently discovered my late father's selectric that has been
unused for about 25 years. as an engineer i have enjoyed getting it
back in order (what a feat of IBM mechanical engineering!) and now
everything works perfectly EXCEPT the lever for switching between 10
characters/inch and 12 c/in. it moves only abit but doesn't seem to
slot into place and character spacing stays on 12 regardless of a 10 c/
in golfball inplace. i dont want to force anything. can anyone help?
ps also found boxes of unused typing 'ribbons' ,the use once type,
which are still giving top quality print - amazing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You should do a Google search and look around for someone who can service
this for you. As for myself, I would want to properly preserve this prize
typewriter. I would give it out to a professional service man and pay the
few dollars to have it properly fixed.

I have an old Remington from 1963. I found someone near to me that was still
servicing these for collectors. It is now in very good condition.

--

JANA
_____

wrote in message
i have recently discovered my late father's selectric that has been
unused for about 25 years. as an engineer i have enjoyed getting it
back in order (what a feat of IBM mechanical engineering!) and now
everything works perfectly EXCEPT the lever for switching between 10
characters/inch and 12 c/in. it moves only abit but doesn't seem to
slot into place and character spacing stays on 12 regardless of a 10 c/
in golfball inplace. i dont want to force anything. can anyone help?
ps also found boxes of unused typing 'ribbons' ,the use once type,
which are still giving top quality print - amazing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
i have recently discovered my late father's selectric that has been
unused for about 25 years. as an engineer i have enjoyed getting it
back in order (what a feat of IBM mechanical engineering!) and now
everything works perfectly EXCEPT the lever for switching between 10
characters/inch and 12 c/in. it moves only abit but doesn't seem to
slot into place and character spacing stays on 12 regardless of a 10 c/
in golfball inplace. i dont want to force anything. can anyone help?
ps also found boxes of unused typing 'ribbons' ,the use once type,
which are still giving top quality print - amazing.

Having serviced thousands of Selectrics over 25 years ago, I can tell you
they don't like lying around unused. The oil combines with dust and "gunges
up" moving parts. As well as the pitch lever (10/12) jamming, you can expect
keys on the keyboard to feel stiff and jam, and you can expect the several
spring clutches to slip. As a first course of action I would recommend a
thorough washout with solvent (kerosine will do), then a careful lubrication
of various components. Getting hold of a service manual is necessary, as
there are many fiddly adjustments.

Henry.
Australia

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"JANA" writes:

You should do a Google search and look around for someone who can service
this for you. As for myself, I would want to properly preserve this prize
typewriter. I would give it out to a professional service man and pay the
few dollars to have it properly fixed.

I have an old Remington from 1963. I found someone near to me that was still
servicing these for collectors. It is now in very good condition.

You call 1963 old?

Well, not for YOU. After all, you built your first radio with a
brand new Fleming valve that he made just for you! ;-)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"JANA" writes:

You should do a Google search and look around for someone who can service
this for you. As for myself, I would want to properly preserve this prize
typewriter. I would give it out to a professional service man and pay the
few dollars to have it properly fixed.

I have an old Remington from 1963. I found someone near to me that was still
servicing these for collectors. It is now in very good condition.

You call 1963 old?

Well, not for YOU. After all, you built your first radio with a
brand new Fleming valve that he made just for you! ;-)

Nah, they were already in the discount bin at Radio Shack.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Well, not for YOU. After all, you built your first radio with a
brand new Fleming valve that he made just for you! ;-)

Nah, they were already in the discount bin at Radio Shack.

Uh. Yeah. Sure. Ok. If you say so. ;-)

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

At any of the thrift stores around here, I wouldn't give more than three
dollars for any kinds of typewriters (not nowadays, anyway) no matter
how ''good'' such and such a typewriter is supposed to be.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 17, 1:38*am, wrote:
i have recently discovered my late father's selectric that has been
unused for about 25 years. as an engineer i have enjoyed getting it
back in order (what a feat of IBM mechanical engineering!) and now
everything works perfectly EXCEPT the lever for switching between 10
characters/inch and 12 c/in. it moves only abit but doesn't seem to
slot into place and character spacing stays on 12 regardless of a 10 c/
in golfball inplace. i dont want to force anything. can anyone help?
ps also found boxes of unused typing 'ribbons' ,the use once type,
which are still giving top quality print - amazing.

You may already have this manual, however, here are my 2C.

The following link has some manuals for IBM Selectric/Selectric ii
Typewriters. May help you in solving your problem.

http://www.selectric.org/selectric/manualii/index.html

Regards,

Ravi.

(India)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mar 16, 4:38*pm, wrote:
i have recently discovered my late father's selectric that has been
unused for about 25 years. as an engineer i have enjoyed getting it
back in order (what a feat of IBM mechanical engineering!) and now
everything works perfectly EXCEPT the lever for switching between 10
characters/inch and 12 c/in. it moves only abit but doesn't seem to
slot into place and character spacing stays on 12 regardless of a 10 c/
in golfball inplace. i dont want to force anything. can anyone help?
ps also found boxes of unused typing 'ribbons' ,the use once type,
which are still giving top quality print - amazing.

d - i'm in exactly the same situation your are - i'm an engineer with
my late dad's selectric typewriter and would like to refurbish it.
I'm reluctant to pay $30-50 for a copy of a service manual of unknown
value and one that probably cost the current owner almost nothing to
copy on to a CD. Can you provide a copy of a manual at a reasonable
cost? Would be happy to share technical solutions with you regarding
any problems and tricks we discover along the way. sincerely,

Barry Hoberman

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

And I would actually pick it up, recondition it and walk away with a
75%+ profit margin. I still sell a lot of used typewriters and still
get a lot of them in for repairs.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:44:16 -0500, wrote:

At any of the thrift stores around here, I wouldn't give more than three
dollars for any kinds of typewriters (not nowadays, anyway) no matter
how ''good'' such and such a typewriter is supposed to be.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

Heck, I still repair the old mechanical typewriters. I have a couple
of writers that always bring their typewriters in for tune ups. They
claim that nobody can hack their typewriters and that is why they
still use them.

On 17 Mar 2008 08:20:14 -0400, Sam Goldwasser
wrote:

"JANA" writes:

You should do a Google search and look around for someone who can service
this for you. As for myself, I would want to properly preserve this prize
typewriter. I would give it out to a professional service man and pay the
few dollars to have it properly fixed.

I have an old Remington from 1963. I found someone near to me that was still
servicing these for collectors. It is now in very good condition.

You call 1963 old?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

The pitch lever should be on the left side of the platten so remove
the platten and check to make sure the pan is sitting in place
properly. The other problem will be the platten gear. The pitch hook
should have a spring attached to it, make sure it is there and it is
also in good shape. Make sure that the gear on the platten is not loos
or slipping. There should be some spline screws to tighten it up with.