Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IBM Selectric III

I have had a Selectric III for quite a few years and it has always
worked perfectly. As I was using it today, and while it was working
just fine, in mid-sentence, it began typing characters that didn't
correspond to the keys I was hitting. Any idea what's going on? It's
never done this before.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

You can probably get another used Selectric III very cheaply.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mc" wrote in message
.. .
You can probably get another used Selectric III very cheaply.

Can you? I remember those, I haven't seen one in years. Seems like the sort
of thing that would be collectible some day if it isn't already.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"James Sweet" writes:

"mc" wrote in message
.. .
You can probably get another used Selectric III very cheaply.

Can you? I remember those, I haven't seen one in years. Seems like the sort
of thing that would be collectible some day if it isn't already.

A bunch on eBay, most not very cheap though.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong characters, I
wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear how
it could suddenly slip.

The mechanism that moves the ball is, if I remember correctly, laterally
"balanced". If it broke, it seems the symptoms would be more serious than
just the wrong characters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong characters,
wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear
how
it could suddenly slip.

Teeth broken off the bottom of the ball are another way to get wrong
characters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Good morning.
It can happen. The tilt and rotate tapes get the ball in the general
vicinity of the correct character, then the alignment pawls, one vertical
for the part the ball mounts on and another horizontal that engages with
teeth in the bottom of the ball itself, engage to ensure correct alignment
by the time the ball fires into the platen. Any problem with any of these
can cause incorrect or incomplete characters being printed. The tapes drive
the ball in one direction, spring tension alone pulls it back in the other.

Lee Richardson

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong characters,
wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear
how
it could suddenly slip.

The mechanism that moves the ball is, if I remember correctly, laterally
"balanced". If it broke, it seems the symptoms would be more serious than
just the wrong characters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article
,
wrote:

I have had a Selectric III for quite a few years and it has always
worked perfectly. As I was using it today, and while it was working
just fine, in mid-sentence, it began typing characters that didn't
correspond to the keys I was hitting. Any idea what's going on? It's
never done this before.

A pair of thin metal strips impart "tilt" and "rotate" motions to the
ball. You can see those strips not very far down inside the typewriter
(they run from one side to the other, and connect to the ball carrier),
and if you push on them (gently), the ball should move appropriately.

Two possibilities:

1) One of the strips is broken. That should be easy enough to discover.

2) One or both of the mechanisms that pull on the strips has fallen out
of adjustment (the nature of a Selectric is that the adjustments tend to
be "binary"; i.e. either they're right, or they're NOT). If that is the
case, it should be possible to readjust things to work properly again.

I haven't adjusted a Selectric for a *long* time, but if you're
"mechanically inclined", you should be able to find the appropriate
adjustment, which will be some sort of threaded rod or screw, or
something similar. AIR, there is a pair of vertical arms with pulleys on
the tops for those metal strips to pass around, on the left side as
viewed from the keyboard. They move laterally according to how many
levels of "tilt" or "rotate" is necessary to position the desired
character on the ball.

Looking at the ball, and the incorrect letters being printed, should let
you discern whether it's "tilt" or "rotate" that's in error.

If you can find the adjustment, crank it one way until it's wrong, then
the other, counting turns, and then set it back half way between. I
don't think that being "wrong" can cause any damage; just incorrect
letters being printed.

--

The Selectric is probably the last and most wonderful "mechanical
mechanism" ever to be designed (there's nothing "electrical" in one

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong characters, I
wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear how
it could suddenly slip.

The mechanism that moves the ball is, if I remember correctly, laterally
"balanced". If it broke, it seems the symptoms would be more serious than
just the wrong characters.

Nope; just incorrect characters, that's all. If one or the other of the
bands breaks, then only a "vertical" or "horizontal" subset of
characters can be selected. If one of the band "drivers" becomes
maladjusted, then characters above, below, to the right, or to the left,
of the desired one will be selected. A comparison of the source to the
printed output vis-a-vis the position of the characters on the ball will
give a lot of clues.

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

In article ,
"mc" wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong characters,
wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear
how
it could suddenly slip.

Teeth broken off the bottom of the ball are another way to get wrong
characters.

True, but I've seen balls so used that the metal plating was mostly worn
off, but with intact teeth; I don't think there's any way for them to
get broken while installed.

(That Selectric had been used in an airline reservation system; there
was a "crater' on the platen at every possible character location.)

Isaac
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mc mc is offline

"isw" wrote in message

The Selectric is probably the last and most wonderful "mechanical
mechanism" ever to be designed (there's nothing "electrical" in one
except for the motor, which just rotates a shaft; everything else is
purely mechanical). It really is a magnificent piece of engineering. It
includes, among other nifty features, a totally mechanical two-key
rollover, and a simple but clever device that absolutely forbids
multiple keys being depressed simultaneously.

I agree. It is probably the last of the world's great purely mechanical
machines (with no electrical control signaling, only mechanical movements).
I have a Selectric II in my office which I bought in 1975 and still use
occasionally. I had the University's typewriter technician overhaul it for
me just before he retired, so it will probably last me the rest of my life.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
: I have had a Selectric III for quite a few years and it has always
: worked perfectly. As I was using it today, and while it was working
: just fine, in mid-sentence, it began typing characters that didn't
: correspond to the keys I was hitting. Any idea what's going on? It's
: never done this before.

These 3 items would cause wrong characters that would not be perfectlt
formed characters:

1. Take the ball off and look up the centre of it. Is there a thin groove
in the circular piece or is that broken out?

2. While the ball is off, check the back of the tilt ring (thing the ball
mounts on) and see if the vertical spring on the back of it is not broken.
This spring pulls the rotate detent up and locks the ball in position
rotationally when it strikes the paper.

3. With the ball still off; on the left side of the tilt ring is the tilt
detent which locks the tilt ring in one of the 4 rows of letters when the
ball strikes the paper. It is a vertical spring that you can see to the
left and on the left side of the left post.

If the characters are wrong but perfectly formed, my guess would be a broken
spring down inside on one of the selector interposers. You would likely
need to get help to find this. There are people repairing them still. Try
Googling selectric repair. Here is one I found
http://www.selectric.com/
Where do you live?

Larry (Retired IBM tech)
larry17 at gmail.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"isw" wrote in message
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong
characters, I wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear
how it could suddenly slip.

The mechanism that moves the ball is, if I remember correctly, laterally
"balanced". If it broke, it seems the symptoms would be more serious
than just the wrong characters.

Nope; just incorrect characters, that's all. If one or the other of the
bands breaks, then only a "vertical" or "horizontal" subset of
characters can be selected. If one of the band "drivers" becomes
maladjusted, then characters above, below, to the right, or to the left,
of the desired one will be selected. A comparison of the source to the
printed output vis-a-vis the position of the characters on the ball will
give a lot of clues.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree that the Selectric is a Truly Neat mechanical device. My only
problem with the Selectric is that it has a "woman's" keyboard, unlike the
original IBM PC, which had a "man's" keyboard. It took my fingers years to
adjust to the Selectric.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
When someone says their Selectric is suddenly typing the wrong characters,
wonder whether this is a troll.

The ball can be put on only one way, and locks in place. It isn't clear
how
it could suddenly slip.

The mechanism that moves the ball is, if I remember correctly, laterally
"balanced". If it broke, it seems the symptoms would be more serious than
just the wrong characters.

As well as the Rotate Tape and the Tilt Tape which shift the golf ball to
its various character positions, there are keyboard interposers and
selection latches, a couple of mechanisms which can result in suddenly the
wrong character being typed, without the character being in any way out of
place. It's been a couple decades since I used to fix hundreds of these,
though.

Henry Mydlarz

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

Actually The Selectric III (3 Pitch) is still widely used by Insurance
and Trucking companies. I repair plenty of the as well as the II and
even some 721. I do not sell Selectric III for a low price as the
demand is still there. You can get a Selectric I for a low cost or a
721.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:02:37 -0500, "mc"

You can probably get another used Selectric III very cheaply.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 11:07:32 -0500, mc wrote:
"Luc" wrote in message
Actually The Selectric III (3 Pitch) is still widely used by Insurance
and Trucking companies. I repair plenty of the as well as the II and
even some 721. I do not sell Selectric III for a low price as the
demand is still there. You can get a Selectric I for a low cost or a
721.

What is a 721?

Probably an IBM 72 with 'special features'.

http://www.selectric.org/selectric/

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sometimes, when I always stop off at the Goodwill store on my way to the
food store, I see a IBM Selectric typewriter for sale.Typewriters in
that store usually sell for $7.00.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Luc wrote:

Actually The Selectric III (3 Pitch) is still widely used by Insurance
and Trucking companies. I repair plenty of the as well as the II and
even some 721. I do not sell Selectric III for a low price as the
demand is still there. You can get a Selectric I for a low cost or a
721.

I passed up a free one Saturday at a church yard sale. I did take the
Nitsuko (NEC) digital PBX and five telephones, though.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

Your rotate tape may be either broken or bent. Other problems could be
found on the arms that control tilt and rotate. Then again, your ball
may also have come loose or the pin hole may be cracked. The main
problem is that it is a 3 pitch machine and we used to call them a
nightmare until IBM came out with their earlier electronic made from
Selectrics.

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 19:06:59 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have had a Selectric III for quite a few years and it has always
worked perfectly. As I was using it today, and while it was working
just fine, in mid-sentence, it began typing characters that didn't
correspond to the keys I was hitting. Any idea what's going on? It's
never done this before.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

To be honest, They are not cheap and are still being made for use in
the insurance and transportation industry. I just sold 10 of them to a
large insurance comapny.

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:24:48 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"mc" wrote in message
. ..
You can probably get another used Selectric III very cheaply.

Can you? I remember those, I haven't seen one in years. Seems like the sort
of thing that would be collectible some day if it isn't already.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hello,

I'm French and i love very much the IBM selectric typewriter.
I have created a site : www.ihop.fr

If you have a question about it or If you want to buy to me a ribbon,
parts, golfball, printwheel, quiet fonts, or complete typewriter (in
french condition = AZERTY) contact me at :

or

----- I'm sorry for my bad english :-/

Bye

Renaud
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have seen IBM Selectric Typewriters for sale in the thrift stores
before, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Rescue Mission.Goodwill usually sells
typewriters for $7.00, unless the prices have gone up lately.
www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I have seen IBM Selectric Typewriters for sale in the thrift stores
before, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Rescue Mission.Goodwill usually sells
typewriters for $7.00, unless the prices have gone up lately.
www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Might depend on the area, but I haven't seen a typewriter of any sort in a
thrift store in over a decade.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

James Sweet wrote:

snip

Might depend on the area, but I haven't seen a typewriter of any sort in a
thrift store in over a decade.

Once again, most anywhere in the 'rust belt' (or Great Lakes northern
states); average price of typewriters at Goodwill: $2.00

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have bought (and still own) four old typewriters at the thrift stores
around here before.Three of them are very old vintage Underwood
typewriters.I also own a very old brass cash register I bought at a
thrift store years ago, it has beveled glass windows on it.A thing of
beauty it is, so are my old vintage typewriters.Those IBM Selectric
typewriters though, I always thought they were only regular
typewriters.If I see one at a thrift store again for sale for only a few
dollars, I will buy it just for the heck of it.
cuhulin

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

If you take the case off the Selectric, you will see a couple of
pulleys on the right hand side where the tilt and rotate tape are
operated from.Bothe of these pulleys have and adjustable threaded
rodon them for adjustments. Depending on which letter is misfiring,
side by side or up and down, that will determine which tape pulley to
adjust. Do not make to maney turns on the shaft or you will throw the
alignment way off. Good luck

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:20:58 -0800, isw wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

If you want real fun with an IBM, play around with the memorywriters.
I used to hate working on those.

larry17 at gmail.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sal Sal is offline

James Sweet wrote:
wrote in message
I have seen IBM Selectric Typewriters for sale in the thrift stores
before, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Rescue Mission.Goodwill usually sells
typewriters for $7.00, unless the prices have gone up lately.
www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Might depend on the area, but I haven't seen a typewriter of any sort in a
thrift store in over a decade.

I fixed IBM selectric typewriters, along with their typebar and
dictation equipment from 1977-1980. I still have the original service
manuals and parts for them in my old tool bag including my half cycle
wheel...

Sal
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

I still have all my IBM tools and still use them to this day. I am
just missing my manual as it was destroyed in a fire and I have not
been able to find a replacement.

On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:35:15 -0400, Sal wrote:

James Sweet wrote:
wrote in message
I have seen IBM Selectric Typewriters for sale in the thrift stores
before, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Rescue Mission.Goodwill usually sells
typewriters for $7.00, unless the prices have gone up lately.
www.shopgoodwill.com
cuhulin

Might depend on the area, but I haven't seen a typewriter of any sort in a
thrift store in over a decade.

I fixed IBM selectric typewriters, along with their typebar and
dictation equipment from 1977-1980. I still have the original service
manuals and parts for them in my old tool bag including my half cycle
wheel...

Sal

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

I have all kinds of old antquated business machines. I like to display
them in my shop, after I recondition them, and allow school kids to
take tours and see the machines.

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 02:03:18 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

wrote in news:12978-47C06698-555@storefull-
3258.bay.webtv.net:

I have bought (and still own) four old typewriters at the thrift stores
around here before.Three of them are very old vintage Underwood
typewriters.I also own a very old brass cash register I bought at a
thrift store years ago, it has beveled glass windows on it.A thing of
beauty it is, so are my old vintage typewriters.Those IBM Selectric
typewriters though, I always thought they were only regular
typewriters.If I see one at a thrift store again for sale for only a few
dollars, I will buy it just for the heck of it.
cuhulin

I have an Underwood radio telegraphy 'mill' for copying CW.
Pin feed roller, all caps with a 'slash zero' and a similar Underwood
regular typewriter.