Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV Remote Sensor Problem.

SONY Trinitron 27" TV model KV-27T530.

The generic remote doesn't work.

The SONY TV's own remote was stolen years ago. Since generic remotes
work I did not miss the stolen one.

The SONY remote [from the stereo amp with controls for
audio/TV/VTR/LDP] System OFF button works. This remote's TV ON/OFF
button works. But channel # select, channel step up/down and volume
control don't work.

If the SONY (but not the generic) remote ON/OFF works it likely means
the IR photo receptor is good. Yet it won't accept channel select and
volume signals from any remote controller.

Any suggestions what to look for next?

My plan of action is to remove the TV control panel and look for cold
solder joints. A general cleaning then reseat the connector plugs.
There is no circuit diagram although the function blocks are IDed on
the single main PCB.

I can live with without the remote. Picture quality and sound is
still excellent. The TV set is too bulky to take to a TV repair shop.
Its not worth repairing anyway. The money will be better spent on a
new flat panel TV set. I can fix most things including TV sets if
pointed in the right direction.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the OFF/ON works with the universal, I would suspect the universal
remote to have a fault more than the TV set. Re-program the product code
in the universal remote. Try another universal remote on the TV set.

If there is a fault where only some functions on the TV do not work with
a known working remote, This may be from a problem in the TV's uPC, or
the firmware in the TV's EPROM. In this case, the problem will be very
involved.

--

Jerry G.

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Contact a SONY Retailer or Servicer and order the original remote, at least
you will get a device from the manufacturer that will allow you to use the
functions of the tele. Or 'Google' for remotes on the net, there are many
good suppliers of original/reconditioned remotes. FWIW

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My experience has been that any Sony TV remote control will operate any Sony
television. In other words, there appears to be only one set of Sony codes.
So that is not likely the source of the problem. (However, you should the
programming instructions to make sure this is the case.)

Multi-device remote controls have some method -- usually a button -- for
selecting which device is in use. Make sure that the TV is selected. Simply
pressing the button for TV power does not switch the controller to TV
commands.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:35:06 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

My experience has been that any Sony TV remote control will operate any Sony
television. In other words, there appears to be only one set of Sony codes.
So that is not likely the source of the problem. (However, you should the
programming instructions to make sure this is the case.)

Multi-device remote controls have some method -- usually a button -- for
selecting which device is in use. Make sure that the TV is selected. Simply
pressing the button for TV power does not switch the controller to TV
commands.

I did try to fiddle with the butttons on the front panel and even
turned off the audio without realising it. It didn't feel right that
a remote signal problem should also take out the audio. Luckily a
look at the owner's manual fixed the audio problem. (grin).

At present I can manually change the channels but cannot access beyond
the limited preprogrammed ones by keying in the channel number.

I do think it is the signal decoder uP that is kaput. I don't know
where it is located and its unlikely I can source the part anyway.
The TV is 20 years old. So I will stick to my original plan of
action (cleaning, cold solder locate, reseat connectors) and not put
too much effort into fixing it. I don't watch that much TV anyway.

The last time I asked about the Sony TV replacement remote they wanted
$65. No thank you.

One last shot. Most TV (and radio) function blocks are now single
chip solutions. Is there a universal remote signal decoder chip I can
refer to?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I do think it is the signal decoder uP that is kaput.

This is possible, but unlikely. You need to find another universal remote to
confirm this.

The last time I asked about the Sony TV replacement
remote they wanted $65. No, thank you.

I bought a replacement remote for my Sony DVD player a few years back, and
it was about $15. Apparently Sony has learned its lesson.

Any Sony remote for a Sony TV, VCR, or DVD player should control your TV.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Art wrote:
Contact a SONY Retailer or Servicer and order the original remote, at
least you will get a device from the manufacturer that will allow you to
use the functions of the tele. Or 'Google' for remotes on the net, there
are many good suppliers of original/reconditioned remotes. FWIW

I have a VCR for which none of the universal remotes I tried had 'all'
of the codes...specifically the 'menu' function. I needed to program
the channels, but none of the remotes I had worked.

I downloaded a remote control program for my Palm Pilot ('Novii Remote')
for which I was able--via their library of codes, or something on their
forum, I don't remember which--to program the appropriate function.

Using a Palm or other PDA for remote control is a great 'life extender'
for those obsolete, but still functioning, devices. The software is
only about $25, and if you already have the device, it's equal to a
$100+ home theater remote.

http://www.novii.tv/

Many codes available for download, and it's 'teachable' if you already
have the original remote. There's a forum. If something's not
available, it's possible to request someone to copy the codes from their
original device and upload them.

Some Palm units have better IR range than others. I use an M-130 (eBay:
about $30...might need a new battery) to shoot across the room, but my
Palm 270 cell phone will only work for a few feet. For that one, I use
an IR (PowerMid) extender placed near the listening position.

Pocket PC versions available as well....

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:17:39 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I do think it is the signal decoder uP that is kaput.

This is possible, but unlikely. You need to find another universal remote to
confirm this.

The last time I asked about the Sony TV replacement
remote they wanted $65. No, thank you.

I bought a replacement remote for my Sony DVD player a few years back, and
it was about $15. Apparently Sony has learned its lesson.

Any Sony remote for a Sony TV, VCR, or DVD player should control your TV.

Yup. Tried all my other Sony remotes and only the ON/OFF works.

Anyway took out the PCB's. Everything is on the main board. The
front panel was just all switches and the photosensor, no signal
processing circuitry anywhere. Cleaned whatever I could reach. The
main PCB had DIP type pin spacing but too complex for me to even want
to try fiddling with anything. Put everything back in place. Now a
new weird problem. It won't latch ON. I keep hearing a clicking
sound as if a mechanical switch was trying to latch on and the front
panel ON light blinked in unision. But there is no solenoid on the
PCB and I can't locate the source of the click (1 sec interval). I
can't imagine a solid state latch making the noise or can it?

Any hints? All I want is the status quo ante with the video and audio
OK without the remote.

Remote sensor extension? UCLAN Electronics Repair 7 January 24th 08 10:40 PM
TRV with remote sensor Graham UK diy 5 December 2nd 06 12:21 PM
Remote Low Voltage Motion Sensor? HerHusband Home Repair 15 February 3rd 06 03:43 AM
DVD player infrared remote sensor Red Sox Fan Electronics Repair 3 July 3rd 05 03:07 PM
Remote Sensor for Underwater Flash Strobe WbSearch Electronics Repair 2 March 6th 04 10:24 PM