Red Sox Fan

Default DVD player infrared remote sensor

Just tore into my children's DVD player to repair a stuck button. I now
have a problem with the remote not working.

I thought it might be the remote transmitter, so I tried the trick of lookig
at it through a camcorder, and it does light up. I've now decided that it's
the remote control receiver in the player. The player is a very inexpensive
Apex player, but I hate to throw it away if it's inexpensive to repair. I
didn't see any obviously loose pins on the circuit board.

Are these sensors somewhat generic? Something I can pick up at Radio Shack
for a few $$$? Nowadays, the dvd players are just about useless without the
remote. As a side note, I tried to program my Directv receiver remote, and
it didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Michael H.

NSM

"Red Sox Fan" wrote in message
link.net...

Are these sensors somewhat generic? Something I can pick up at Radio

Shack
for a few $$$? Nowadays, the dvd players are just about useless without

the
remote.

Most things are.

As a side note, I tried to program my Directv receiver remote, and
it didn't work.

Have you tried a 'universal' remote? Sometimes you can pick one up for $4 or
$5.

Jumpster Jiver

Red Sox Fan wrote:

Just tore into my children's DVD player to repair a stuck button. I now
have a problem with the remote not working.

I thought it might be the remote transmitter, so I tried the trick of lookig
at it through a camcorder, and it does light up. I've now decided that it's
the remote control receiver in the player. The player is a very inexpensive
Apex player, but I hate to throw it away if it's inexpensive to repair. I
didn't see any obviously loose pins on the circuit board.

Are these sensors somewhat generic? Something I can pick up at Radio Shack
for a few $$$? Nowadays, the dvd players are just about useless without the
remote. As a side note, I tried to program my Directv receiver remote, and
it didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Michael H.

If it turns out the sensor is bad, are you capable oof changing it? I
have a few APEX DVD players with other problems that may have the same
IR receiver. I'd be willing to send one for the price of shipping.
-Mike