Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default TV Remote Sensor Problem.

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:35:06 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

My experience has been that any Sony TV remote control will operate any Sony
television. In other words, there appears to be only one set of Sony codes.
So that is not likely the source of the problem. (However, you should the
programming instructions to make sure this is the case.)

Multi-device remote controls have some method -- usually a button -- for
selecting which device is in use. Make sure that the TV is selected. Simply
pressing the button for TV power does not switch the controller to TV
commands.

I did try to fiddle with the butttons on the front panel and even
turned off the audio without realising it. It didn't feel right that
a remote signal problem should also take out the audio. Luckily a
look at the owner's manual fixed the audio problem. (grin).

At present I can manually change the channels but cannot access beyond
the limited preprogrammed ones by keying in the channel number.

I do think it is the signal decoder uP that is kaput. I don't know
where it is located and its unlikely I can source the part anyway.
The TV is 20 years old. So I will stick to my original plan of
action (cleaning, cold solder locate, reseat connectors) and not put
too much effort into fixing it. I don't watch that much TV anyway.

The last time I asked about the Sony TV replacement remote they wanted
$65. No thank you.

One last shot. Most TV (and radio) function blocks are now single
chip solutions. Is there a universal remote signal decoder chip I can
refer to?