Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default TV Remote Sensor Problem.

Art wrote:
Contact a SONY Retailer or Servicer and order the original remote, at
least you will get a device from the manufacturer that will allow you to
use the functions of the tele. Or 'Google' for remotes on the net, there
are many good suppliers of original/reconditioned remotes. FWIW

I have a VCR for which none of the universal remotes I tried had 'all'
of the codes...specifically the 'menu' function. I needed to program
the channels, but none of the remotes I had worked.

I downloaded a remote control program for my Palm Pilot ('Novii Remote')
for which I was able--via their library of codes, or something on their
forum, I don't remember which--to program the appropriate function.

Using a Palm or other PDA for remote control is a great 'life extender'
for those obsolete, but still functioning, devices. The software is
only about $25, and if you already have the device, it's equal to a
$100+ home theater remote.

http://www.novii.tv/

Many codes available for download, and it's 'teachable' if you already
have the original remote. There's a forum. If something's not
available, it's possible to request someone to copy the codes from their
original device and upload them.

Some Palm units have better IR range than others. I use an M-130 (eBay:
about $30...might need a new battery) to shoot across the room, but my
Palm 270 cell phone will only work for a few feet. For that one, I use
an IR (PowerMid) extender placed near the listening position.

Pocket PC versions available as well....

jak