Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bob bob is offline

Default Strange digital camera problem

I have a Fuji Finepix A345 that has developed an strange attachment to a set
of batteries and will not turn on with any others . Hopingh somebody has an
explanation.
The background is the camera uses 2 AA batteries and ran fine for years with
Alkaline batteries . A while ago I got some rechargeable Energizer 2500 mah
NIMH batteries and things continued to run fine ( put batteries in camera
works).
At some point I got some Empire Scientific 2500 mah NIMH batteries and
that's when the attachment began. The camera works with two of the Empire
batteries and no others ( not even the second set of Empire batteries)
I've tried dozens of other batteries and even made a store clerk open three
new packages of Alkaline batteries before I convinced myself that this was
happening.
Seems only these batteries will turn on the camera.
I've measured them and they are 1.28 and 1.32 V and new 1.5V batteries will
not turn the camera on. What I did see once however is the camera would come
on but only while the power button was being pressed in .
I'm interested in ant theories as this has me baffled
Thanks in Advance
Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A common thing that can happen in some devices, is that the battery contacts
may have been bent slightly out of position from using a different type of
batteries. See if you can pull the contacts more forward to have a better
position. I have seen this before on various devices.

I am assuming that you load tested the new batteries by trying them in a
flashlight or something to make sure that they are okay.

--

JANA
_____

"bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bob" wrote in message

[...]

Second JANA's advice: Some cells, especially rechargables, have
slightly out-of-spec positive cap sizes and shapes. These can bend
the contacts in the camera such that only an identical cell is capable
of touching the contacts. On top of that, Fuji cameras tend to have
cleverly designed contacts in the camera shaped to try preventing
reverse-polarity accidents; these can be especially vulnerable to
slightly-taller cells.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"bob" wrote in message

[...]

Hi...

I'm going to third that, if there even is such a thing...

But... I'd consider wasting a few minutes or so on a bit of an
experiment - I'd get ahold of a new pencil eraser and try buffing
up the camera contacts with it. Perhaps also a few of the batteries.

Take care.

Ken